Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That really sucks. How long have you been there?
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'd been with the store since mid-July. I was somewhere between part time and full time most weeks. Other weeks I was barely part time. I'm not going to be seeking unemployment for partly that reason. The other being I hope to move soon and wouldn't be eligible any longer.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
        I'd been with the store since mid-July. I was somewhere between part time and full time most weeks. Other weeks I was barely part time. I'm not going to be seeking unemployment for partly that reason. The other being I hope to move soon and wouldn't be eligible any longer.
        Unless your state has some law that says otherwise, it doesn't matter if you move. If you are unemployed you are eligible. File for unemployment. If the store tries to deny it, tell the unemployment agency you were fired for not following procedures you were never informed of.

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
          Unless your state has some law that says otherwise, it doesn't matter if you move. If you are unemployed you are eligible. File for unemployment. If the store tries to deny it, tell the unemployment agency you were fired for not following procedures you were never informed of.
          Exactly. If you're fired, you can apply for unemployment in the state of the place you were fired from, regardless of where you live when you're collecting the unemployment. It also doesn't matter if you were part time or full time, they base the unemployment on an average of what you made per quarter in the last four quarters (at least that's what they do here in Indiana).

Expect to be denied the first time. Appeal it. You usually will be able to collect after the first appeal, unless you were fired for theft or a policy violation and your former employer feels strongly enough about it to argue against the appeal.
          "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
          "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
          My MySpace
          My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post
            Expect to be denied the first time. Appeal it. You usually will be able to collect after the first appeal, unless you were fired for theft or a policy violation and your former employer feels strongly enough about it to argue against the appeal.
            Absolutely appeal. As many times as you can. I've been on the other side of those hearings enough to know that you will get benefits unless the employer has a rock-solid case that you did something that you knew you were going to get fired for.

And don't feel bad about taking benefits. They won't give you anything that you haven't earned because of your time working on the job. You earned that benefit by working for the company. Don't be afraid to take advantage of it.

Comment

That's just bullshit for what they fired you for. I'm glad you at least have something good to look forward to: being home with your family. Definitely go for the unemployment. Sure they may deny you the first time, but appeal for it. Never hurts to try. Keep your head up,sometimes things like this turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                I suppose the customer had bought two TVs by mistake and just used the wrong box when he returned one. He might be shocked if he knew what the consequences were.

It sucks . I hope the unemployment goes through before the holidays.
                I honestly believe this to be what happened.

*snugs hard* Sorry for the bad news so close to Christmas.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                  I suppose the customer had bought two TVs by mistake and just used the wrong box when he returned one. He might be shocked if he knew what the consequences were.

It sucks . I hope the unemployment goes through before the holidays.
                  I'm sure that the store has a slightly different view of the scenario...it would be fairly easy for someone who has a broken or stolen television to go buy one, switch the two out, and then return the defective/hot one to the store so that they have a working TV or one with a clean serial number.
                  "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                  -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

i've also seen it used to get around return policies. (it was discussed at PFB)

i.e. person buys item X online and it's broken but the store won't take it back because it was ordered online. so, instead of shipping the item back like they're suppose to... they buy the item again, take it home, switch it out with the online purchase and then return it.

Comment

2 questions:
                      I was under the impression that when someone is fired they are supposed to be given their final check immediately. I forget where I heard this but would it be a safe assumption that this is not the case?

When I was asked to go to the office, I asked if I had done something wrong and was told no, that it was a type of survey they were doing of various employees about AP processes and policies. It wasn't until we started talking about losses caused by employees that the truth came out. I had been in there for at least 15 minutes before the real issue came out. Do I have any recourse for the misleading/dishonest way I was pulled to the office?

Comment

In Colorado, your paycheck is due to you "immediately" upon being fired. Of course, "immediately" doesn't mean immediately. It means within six hours of start of next workday, if payroll unit is closed; 24 hours if unit is offsite. The employer decides check delivery, so they have 24 hours to process your last check, and can mail it to your home from their payroll unit out-of state which will take forever this time of year.

You don't really have any recourse for how you were investigated. And you were investigated. They were probably fishing for any sign that you might have done this on purpose and could pay restitution. Since they didn't fire you for dishonesty (which would be easy to deny unemployment benefits for), they fired you for a policy violation. You should definately file for benefits because it will be very hard for them to prove that you knew this policy and knew that not following it would get you fired.

Comment

Working...
                        X