This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Work depicted in Movies

I just got done watching "Employee of the Month" and I was thinking about how our jobs are depicted in film. So what are some of the most common Cliches you notice about Retail Workers in Movies?

1. The Store Manager will always have a huge office with a huge window that overlooks the entire store. He will always have a secretary and he is always trying to get down someone's pants. He is often referred to as "Mr." instead of by his first name.

2. When a customer brings an item to the register, the cashier will never scan or ring up the item but instead say "That will be 20.65" The customer will give the cashier a single bill and the cashier puts the money in the till and will never give back change.

3. Any employee regardless of what level are is authorized to give discounts or free merchandise no questions asked.

4. Customers love it when casheirs juggle and toss around their merchandise.

5. Any employee can access the store after hours at anytime.

6. If a customer is buying cigarettes all he has to say is "Pack of Cigarettes" without stating which brand

Any else you can think of?
    Last edited by TSAEMP; 01-23-2007, 01:31 AM.

I don't know if this would qualify as a cliche (probably not), but I once saw a movie in which somebody was working overnight all alone in a Target store, and took the time to goof off roller-skating down the aisles and cranking up rock music.

That is so far removed from reality. At my store we bust our asses on third shift.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I just want to know where my fancy-schmancy cashier break room is. I was head cashier for the better part of 8 years and I didn't get no leather furniture and free vending machine!

7. Bags of groceries are never heavy.
      8. Here's one for our tech support friends (At least this is what the SCs must believe): All computers are connected. You can access the information on the villain's desktop computer, even if it's turned off. "Fix it!"
      9.A ringing phone is usually picked up within 3 seconds (if it's an SC's cell phone -"Oh, nothing, I'm just checking out my highly complicated order at the store...sure I can talk") or expected to be answered that quickly (if it's an SC calling -"I've been on hold FOREVER!!").
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

A barista friend of mine use to complain that baristas were often portrayed in promiscuous ways in films and on TV. Granted, I can't think of any references off the top of my head.....
        -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
        -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          I don't know if this would qualify as a cliche (probably not), but I once saw a movie in which somebody was working overnight all alone in a Target store, and took the time to goof off roller-skating down the aisles and cranking up rock music.
          I believe this one was called 'Career Opportunities'
          Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

How abut just the way every day jobs are portrayed?

My favorite is the movie Office Space. The manager of Chotsky's(sp?) is hilarious.

Comment

There's a lesser known movie called One Hour Photo that has Robin Williams playing a mentally troubled photo tech at a Wal-Martesque place called "SavMart". It also features Gary Cole (who played Lumbergh in office space) as the store manager who is actually (GASP!) competent.

A couple of funny things I noticed in the movie though:

1. The store has no dirt. ANYWHERE.

2. The photo tech somehow has a key to a knife cabinet in housewares, which he uses to steal a knife, which somehow the security cameras miss. Photo tech is then allowed to leave the store with knife and KEYS, this despite the fact he's just been fired.

3. Upon being let go, the Manager forbids the photo tech from ever shopping there again, with no provoking incident to lead to this. Not sure that's even legal.

Comment

3. Upon being let go, the Manager forbids the photo tech from ever shopping there again, with no provoking incident to lead to this. Not sure that's even legal.
                It most likely is. The store is private property, and they can ban anybody they decide to.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Actually it is legal because when I worked in a super market someone who got fired came back to store a few weeks later and when the Store Manager saw him he told him to leave and if he ever came around again he would call the police. Since Sy (Character in One Hour Photo) was fired because the manager suspected theft I could see why he would not want him back in the store. But what did not make since was that he was allowed to finish the week.

Comment

The movie Waiting... had me in stitches. Mostly because 99% of the stuff on there was so typical of customers. You have the "my food is never right" lady who complains that the food sucks "every time we come in" which begs the question "why do you keep coming in?" And the "five minutes before close" guy. These all happen regularly where I worked until Sunday. (Technically til today.)
                    The absurd amounts of food... uh... embellishment... was a little over the top though. But they accurately portray the fact that many of the employees are actually people, and not just mindless slaves. There aren't too many movies out there that focus on the lives of the employees that everyone is so used to abusing.
                    P.S: David Koechner (played Dan) ad-libbed a whole lot of his most amazing lines. That is quality right there, even if he played a perverted schmuck.
                    Sorry too long gotta work on that.
                    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

The reason people in movies rarely or never ask for a specific brand of anything is because that would be free advertisement for the product they ask for. Some companies pay big bucks to have "product placement" spots in movies.
                      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                      HellGate: London

Comment

They could always make up brands, like the way the Simpsons have Laramie cigarettes.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Dot View Post
                          The manager of Chotsky's(sp?) is hilarious.
                          Chotchkies, I think...
                          And, if I'm not mistaken, that manager is played by Mike Judge. I think.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            They could always make up brands, like the way the Simpsons have Laramie cigarettes.
                            "Yeah, I'd like a pack of Koolcamelbros in a BOX!!!"

That somehow seemed funnier in my head.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
                              I also don't like how hotel workers (maids or cleaners) are depicted always going through guests' stuff, trying on their clothes, etc. Somehow I doubt that happens as much in real life as it seems to in the movies.
                              They are also frequently shown to be non-english speaking immigrants. Now I know some are, but you can't tell me there are no caucasian housekeepers anywhere in North America.

Comment

Working...
                              X