This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Do-It-Yourself-ers Attack

Does anyone else get to clean up the mess after the amateurs get a shot?

Let me be clear: I have no problem with people who like to do things for themselves, and who educate themselves, buy the right tools and materials, and take the time to do the job right. I will always help these customers as much as I can. But if you're going to do that, it's critically important that you have the two following qualities:
    * You had better be willing to read the manual
    * You need to be able to recognize when you're in over your head.

In my profession (mobile electronics installation) I suspect I have the highest proportion of customers who either think they already can do the job better than I, or think they know someone who can. The best installer in town is always "my neighbor's kid" or "my dad". Yes, I know you computer folks get to deal with a lot of this as well, but when was the last time you got to fix a computer where someone started by removing the old component, then immediately got a set of wire cutters and cut off every available plug so that all that remained was bare wire ends?

For a lot of the do-it-yourself car radio installers, they'd much rather deal with wires than plugs, so they remove the plugs first off. Then they take the wires coming from the new radio, and start matching up the colors and splicing the wires together. Only then do they realize an important fact of car audio installation: Vehicle manufacturers do not want you to replace the radio. Therefore, they do not use standard wire color codes. They use their own color codes, and they aren't necessarily the same between different models. Trying to match up vehicle wire colors with after-market wiring colors will NEVER work.

When the car comes to me, they try to put the best face on the situation. "We already started it for you; all you have to do now is...."

Of course, the one who hacked up the wiring is never the same person who brings me the car. It's always "my boyfriend", "my brother", "my dad", "my husband", or "my buddy". I tell them I hope they're on good terms, because it's going to cost more money (sometimes a lot more) because of what that person did.

Some of the typical sucky DIY'ers:

--Someone's dad, who put a new radio in his old car twenty freaking years ago, and assumes nothing has changed since then. Believes wire harness adapters are a rip-off. Sometimes wants to buy a "booster EQ", which no one has made in several years.

--Someone's buddy, who has helped a couple friends put radios into their cars and assumes all cars are alike. Believes wire harness adapters are only for people who don't know what they're doing. Sometimes doesn't bother putting a fuse on the wire they connect to the battery because "there's already one on the amp".

--Someone's boyfriend, who hacks up his lover's wiring because it's the manly thing to do. Believes anything that goes wrong in the installation is the result of our selling defective merchandise to his girlfriend. In constant fear of revealing to his girlfriend that there may be something he doesn't know everything about.

--Home electricians, who assume that car wiring is just like house wiring, only easier. Believes that since wire nuts are the professional standard for connecting wires in a house, they are also the professional standard in his car (trust me, you don't use 'em in a car). Immune to advice, logic or instruction manuals; his superiority to a lowly car audio installer is taken for granted.

With the exception of the last category, every one of them sees me mostly as free phone technical support when something goes wrong, as it always will.
    Last edited by KaeZoo; 02-09-2007, 03:54 PM.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

By way of example: A couple days ago a young lady purchased a radio at Wal-mart and brought it to us for installation. I wasn't there, so I heard about this secondhand. She said that a Wal-mart employee offered to install the radio for her. I don't know if he did it on the clock, off the clock, in their garage, for pay, etc. But it was just one of the floor staff, not a tire/battery center employee, from what I understand.

He didn't have the right tools to remove the factory radio, so he took the entire dash apart to get to it. (Radio removal in that vehicle is a 10-second job, using a specialized tool WHICH CAN BE PURCHASED AT WAL-MART). His next step was to cut off both of the factory radio plugs so short that they couldn't be re-attached. He moved on to the "try to match up wire colors" step but was stymied by fact that only three of the wire colors matched up. Undaunted, he went ahead and hooked up those three and just went with the "close enough" approach for the rest. When he was finished the customer not only didn't have a working radio, but her dash lights didn't work any more either. The intrepid Wal-mart employee explained that her vehicle was "really weird" before he retreated in disgrace.

The point of the story illustrates the attitude many customers have about car radio installations: not only was the clueless employee willing to start cutting wires in a complete stranger's vehicle, the vehicle owner allowed him to do it! Both of them assumed that installing the radio was a quick and easy job and that there was no possibility of getting it wrong, or of damaging anything if he did.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Somewhat along those lines... I'd like to smack whatever idiot attempted to repair the wiring in my MGB. Keep in mind that most of the wiring was original, and was starting to fail. That didn't stop someone from letting new wires into the harness...but leaving the old (bare) wires still in place...usually in places *very* close to the bodywork It's not like the stock wiring was perfect though--some of the components had a well-deserved reputation for sucking...and any attempts at 'repairing' their wires just made things worse. Because of that, it's no wonder that many MGB owners fit fire extinguishers on the transmission tunnel.

And no, I'm not one of them. Rather than attempt to fix the wiring mess, I took the easy way out--I tore all of it out, and replaced the harness. Much safter that way.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've done some spectacularly bad things to electronics in my time, but I'm willing to fess up to it. Usually something like,

"Uh, yeah, the toaster got jammed, and I thought if I unplugged it and opened the case, I could just pop it right back out of there...and obviously that wasn't the right answer. So, uh, now what do I do?"

In my experience, repairmen are much nicer when you just admit you boned it up and now you'd like someone who knows what they're doing to step in.
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Last time a friend of mine was trying to work out the wiring diagram for a radio he wanted to fit to his car. We both came up with a similar, but obviously wrong answer. He phoned up the people he bought it from and clarity ensued when our obvious mistake was pointed out - something like thinking an earth wire was part of the circuit.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Reminds me of a guy who wanted to get his AC fixed for his truck. He had added a toggle switch to the AC circuit, bypassing a pressure sensor that shuts off the AC compressor if the pressure was to get too high within the system. He added the switch because he thought that sensor went bad and was annoyed by the way it would shut of the air conditioner whenever he ran it. Of course the sensor was working right all along and was shutting the AC off because bonehead dumped way too much refrigerant into the system.
            "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

How about the house I bought? Someone told them that buyers prefer white walls everywhere (I don't, personally, but I know a bunch of people do). So they bought cheap white paint, and slapped it everywhere... on the walls, on the trim, on the carpet that they forgot to tape off (usually they missed the carpet by not painting the trim all the way to the floor... but they did paint the doors, without a dropcloth under them.)

Someone converted the garage into three rooms. But they didn't add light switches to the rooms. You just left the single pair of lights on, and used pull cords on the lights. Oh, and they probably didn't check how many other things were on the circuit they used before adding the lights.

And the best one. I live in what used to be wetlands. Fairly flat, lots of rain, water table is usually within 20 cm of the surface. There were rain gutters around the old garage. Downspouts ran into the ground, presumably to the storm drain that was beginning to fill in, right? Right? You know what happens with idiots and presumptions, right? Well, I did, sorta, and was expecting something stupid. But that didn't prepare me for the complete idiocy of having the storm drain do a 135° turn and bury itself 10 cm below the surface, right at the corner of the driveway and the house slab!

On the bright side, we got the house for $10K less than their original asking price (turned out to be a good thing, as other problems ate away more $$$ than I was expecting) one day before forclosure. And we fixed all of the above. Though fixing the drains was a lousy way to waste a vacation week.

Comment

Yeah...I know computers, but that car stuff...nope....Take it to the pros
                "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

that reminds me of the house that we moved to when I was a senior in high school.

My mom is a little...insane...she got it in her head that she HAD to have a new house because my dad's brother had moved into a new one and apparently she was jealous.

So, we moved in 1987 to a house that I'm pretty sure my dad overpaid for.

We were so lucky the first night that we were there that we didnt turn on the heat (it was late september) because if we HAD turned on the heat, we probably would have all died.

It seems the previous owner thought he was MacGyver. For some reason only known to him, he cut a hole in the side of the furnace and took one or two of the burners out and then welded the hole shut. (btw, my dad was annoyed about having to move, so he never did get the house inspected before we moved it...moron)

We were getting the furnace checked before winter, so that's how we figured out the furnace had been tampered with.

Then several years later, we had an electrical problem in the basement. Called out an electrician...he looked at our wiring and just about freaked. The idiot previous owner had taken WIRE hangers, SCOTCH tape and LAMP cords with the ends spliced off and had redone all the wiring in the basement...plus, for some reason he had shoved a big metal trough in the ceiling above the ceiling tiles that was full of musty, rusty water. (we were wondering what was causing the water spot) That musty, rusty water was dripping one some of the lamp cords he'd rewired the basement with.

My dad had to shell out a ton of money to bring all of our electrical up to code. (we had the electrician check the rest of the house too)

The only thing I can think of as to why this previous owner did all this, other than the fact that he was an asshat, was that he was having a seriously horrible divorce from his wife. I think he thought that if we all died from CO2 from a bad furnace, that the wife would get sued (she was the one who got the money from the sale of the house) Other than total insanity, that's the only reason I can think of for why he was such a moron.

I'm pretty sure that guy died about a year or two after we moved into that house...he'd had some pretty bad cancer.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    Somewhat along those lines... I'd like to smack whatever idiot attempted to repair the wiring in my MGB. Keep in mind that most of the wiring was original, and was starting to fail. .
                    Lucas electrics, prince of darkness!

FWIW< every single car I've ever owned had someone attempt to do somthing with the wiring and fail horribly, from replacing the radio, to wiring up double or triple redundant circuts to things instead of just fixing them when they broke to trying to install aftermarket amps or alarms, and just butchering the whole thing

For some reason, people who admit they know nothing about the mechanical parts of cars will jump right into the wiring without a second thought
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

One of my favorite theories is that, if done wrong, there's a certain point when DIY (Do It Yourself) turns into DYI (Do Yourself In)...

I've wired up an aftermarket stereo in a car, but I took the time to get a Best Buy wiring harness, and properly soldered it onto the harness for the radio (though I left the wires a bit too long). A simple matter of noting what each wire does, and making sure they go to the right place (the color code between the two harnesses was similar, but different). I have a background in electronics work, so it didn't go up in smoke, but probably took way too long, since I'm a bit too cautious when it comes to stuff like this.

Oh, and I remembered another good one: Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas makes refrigerators, too!
                      -Adam
                      Goofy music!
                      Old tech junk!

Comment

I am a DIY on my own computer but I want to know what the hell I am doing before I get the screwdriver out. If I can't do it, I will take it to a professional. As for mobile electronics: I don't trust myself to do it and I would rather have a professional do it.
                        Op.125

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
                          Oh, and I remembered another good one: Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas makes refrigerators, too!
                          -Adam
                          Hehe they also make vacuum cleaners too...these are the only Lucas product that *doesn't* suck

Here are a few more: http://www.geocities.com/su_carbs/mg/lucasjokes.htm.

Getting back on topic... some people will do *anything* to save a buck or two, but then spend multiple times that putting things right when the "repairs" finally fail.

That's why I was so annoyed with some of the work done to the MG in years past. Just now, I'm undoing alot of the crap jobs. For example, it was repainted 20 or so years ago after an accident. The respray wasn't too bad. However, on closer inspection, you could see places where dust got into the paint, and there were a few runs on the door...simply because the shop didn't use the proper care. In 2005, I had the car repainted. It wasn't cheap, but it looks superb!

Shortly after we bought the car years ago, the cylinder head was cracked. At the time, the parts situation wasn't as good as now...so the only answer was to fit a used one. After that was fitted, the car was always down on power, and usually ended up fouling the plug on #3 cylinder. Again, a cheap repair. Again, it cost a bit to rectify and ended up getting the engine rebuilt.

With fixes like that, it's no wonder why good, original cars are in constant demand...and the bodged ones usually don't go for very much, unless it's a rare one. When buying classics, people usually don't want to undo someone else's mistakes...and will insist on a price reduction to compensate.

For my car, I really can't complain much, since it was free...and most of the things I was going to spend money on, I'd have to do sooner or later anyway.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

On the bright side, a 20-year-old paint job would probably need redoing by now even if it had been done well.
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

My brother is DIY-er, particularly with computers and car stereos. Granted, he's a freaking genius, he was a mechanical engineering major (he switched to Computational Mathematics, which hurts my mind just to contemplate) and he's been doing this stuff for years now.
                              I often get to help him with car stuff, as I have skinnier fingers, and, unlike him, am not colorblind. I'm usually just holding a flashlight or helping differentiate wires, but I've noticed that he never starts a project (like installing all the stereo equipment into his pretty new car) without doing ALOT of research first. He'll go online and find several different wiring diagrams from several different sites, and follow up to make sure they all match before he starts. He also has no problem admitting when he's in over his head, which is super.

Our neighbor, on the other hand, is the worst type of DIY-er. He will begin projects with no idea how to finish them, and forget in the middle of a project that he still has to move things back. Example? He once pulled the battery out of their sump pump (sic) to put it into their boat. Forgot to put it back, while they were away, we got a huge rainstorm, and their entire basement flooded. Oops.

As for myself, any and all DIY seems to have been forced upon me, and learned by trial and error. In college, 6 of my guy friends (1 Marine, a few former football players, etc) lived in a house together, where I spent most of my free time. One day, their stinky couch-dweller decided he didn't like the one broken tile in the kitchen, and pulled up half the tile floor, then just left it. As a result, I learned how to re-tile and grout a tile kitchen floor in the middle of the night so it would be set for a party the following day. Yeah, I'm awesome, and I got paid in booze.
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X