This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Moons Ago...

This is a story that, at some point, I have probably told here but can't remember. It's a slightly amusing story and I'm tired so I thought I'd tell it. So...

Many moons ago I was a young girl of 16-ish working at my third job as a waitress in a hip little cafe. I waited tables and sold expensive, pretty tea sets to people who could afford expensive, pretty tea sets- I encountered a young customer.

Now, this young man was older than me, maybe 19, and was completely devoid of personality or a sense of humor. He came in, browsed for awhile, deflected my salesmanship with stern apathy. Finally he had made his selections and brought them to the counter to check out.

He unceremoniously dumped about 10 boxes of expensive, imported Earl Grey tea in front of me. I decided to try and make small talk while I wrote his ticket and rang up the tea.

Me: "Wow, you must really like Earl Grey! I love it also." I wasn't lying- I do love Earl Grey.
    Him: "No, I think it's nasty."
    Me: "Oh, then it's a gift?"
    Him: "No."

So, now I am perplexed. He hates Earl Grey and it isn't a gift- why the Hell is he buying 10 boxes of the most expensive kind we have?

Me: "So, now I'm curious. If you don't like it and it isn't a gift why are you buying it at all?"

Him: "I figure if it's good enough for Captain Picard it's good enough for me."

This is where I made the mistake of thinking he was kidding and I laughed out loud. Hysterically almost.

He leveled a stare at me the could have crushed mountains. My laughter died abruptly.

Me: "Uhhhmm... you weren't joking?"
    Him: "No."

He then snatched his bag of Trekkie goodness and stormed out never to be seen again.
    Last edited by NightAngel; 02-10-2007, 09:47 AM.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Well, that takes fanatical fandom to a new level, doesn't it?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*Blink blink*

Wow. That's a pretty bad reason to drink something you don't like...

"...if it's good enough for captain Picard..."

Every time I hear that, I'm gonna break out laughing...
      Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

*stunned stare of disbelief*

he bought it for that reason? obsession or mental defect, you decide.

*also loves earl grey*
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

. o O ( One, Two, Many )

Cluestick to Moron: He drinks it because he likes it!
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Ok, now I am not going to be able to watch Star Trek without laughing when Picard is on the screen!

I may love Aragon from Lord of the Rings, but I am not about to take up sword fighting as a hobby!

Comment

People like this is why us Star Trek fans get a bad rap
              free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Then I'm going to go pick up hot green chicks because Captain Kirk does it.
                "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                  sorry only green hair, unless I'm carsick *

*also married to a six foot tall angry German.

BlaqueKatt-of the blue-green locks
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth scorpionf View Post
                    I may love Aragon from Lord of the Rings, but I am not about to take up sword fighting as a hobby!
                    Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                    I would do both of those things. Not because a fictional charcater is doing it, but because they sound like fun!
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                      Because they sound like fun!
                      Not only that but they would make great YouTube videos.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Poor guy. Well, either he'll get to like it, or he'll find some more palatable way of emulating his hero, like archaeological journals or French wine or playing the flute.

Honestly, I think it was Spock who first put the idea of vegetarianism into my head. It's been fourteen years now.

Comment

Quoth Witch of Endor View Post
                          Honestly, I think it was Spock who first put the idea of vegetarianism into my head.
                          When I was a young child (like maybe 8?) I could not raise one eyebrow but I desperately wanted to do Spock's eyebrow raised, "You're an idiot," look. I actually trained my face muscles so I could do it. To this day I still use that look- not intentionally anymore, it's just a lifetime habit.
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                          HellGate: London

Comment

hehe I've always used that look unconsciously, but my mom always calls me Spock when I do it LOL

As for the 19-year-old tea-hater... wow, dude. That's.... special.

I'd have been like "You do know that "Captain Picard" is a *fictional character*, right? As in he's not REAL...." just to see him go into convulsions
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                              I'd have been like "You do know that "Captain Picard" is a *fictional character*, right? As in he's not REAL...." just to see him go into convulsions
                              I would have said, "Kirk's a better captain than Picard could ever be." Then watch his head explode.
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
                              X