This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingerers

this can be a sc story thread but its about people in general. the people that go into stores close to closing time and linger like the story wasnt closing. per ex like my mom. i can somewhat excuse her because of her job, she a nurse that work 12hr day shift so, gettting out and shopping is hard unless she waits to a day off. well last night she wanted to go to hobby lobby for a sale but it closed at 8 and she got out of work at 7:30(even though that a little more than 12 hrs, most hospital people never leave on time, to my knowledge) well we hurry over they get there 7:50 and she just shops around like they are not closing soon. i didnt know this but hobby lobby turns off half the light like right as they close and makes several announcements to come check out. we leave abut 8:10.

now at my retail store- we make no announcements saying we are closed soon. or even after or "closed time". this is exactly what we say" attention (store name ) customers, we would like to remind you of our store time, sunday 10am-8p, and monday-saturday 8am-10pm, if you need anyhelp dont be afraid to ask any associate for help and thanks for (shopping at store name). let me ask you this, does this make you look at your watch as say there closed now, i must leave. or just contiunue shopping like nothing happend? most people choose the latter, most day we dont have the last person leave untill 10:20 or :30. i think its just plain stupid too. how do you deal with lingerers at you place of slavery

I remember when I worked at the massive ursine, as we were doing our final sales, literally the day we were closing and switching over to Big Raptor(after some restocks and resets)...

Store Manager says 'We need to get everyone out of here, make the closing announcement.'

So I make the first one.

Five minutes later, people are still shopping, so I make another.

Finally, 20 minutes after close, people are still shopping, so...

"Hey everybody! Just wanted to let you know the store's closed now, getcher s*** and go!"

That actually worked shockingly well... though I got a few glares.
    Last edited by Drakstern; 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM. Reason: Left out a word.
    Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Quoth Drakstern View Post
      "Hey everybody! Just wanted to let you know the store's closed now, getcher s*** and go!"
      Oh, I wish I could have said that when I worked in the store. We make announcements at 10:30, :45, :55 and 11:00. If it's a holiday with early closing we'll also make a reminder announcement an hour before closing. At 11, we say "we're closed" and what time we reopen, lock the doors, and check for stragglers. We will ring up anyone who is still in the store, and someone will wait by the door to let them out. Anyone who is still hanging around will be told, politely, that we're closed and we need to lock up. Our managers won't let people hang out, because 1, they don't want to go over hours on the scheduling, 2, they have to set the alarm by a certain time or the alarm company will call, and 3, we want to go HOME!!
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I onlt got away with it because it was, quite literally, the last day we were open as that particular store and there was going to be about a month of downtime while the store was reset, restored, and restocked for a reopening as a different chain. The liquidation sales had drawn in the vultures who were A.) Picking over the bones of the remnants and B.) Haggling on prices that were already 50-90% off.

Yeah, the regulars had already visited and paid their respects, or were the ones who weren't offended, so I didn't feel bad about it at all.
        Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

I wish I could give people a good hard boot to the ass.

My *favorite* people are the ones who come in five mins to close (or 1 min to shutting the gate) and say, "Do I have time to get X,Y,Z...?" NO fecktard, I was just closing the gate! But you can't say that, you have to let them in. It's horrible. Those are the people who never get what they want and just check out..they always linger until 15-30 mins passed closing time. I normally get sappy sweet to them- when, really I want to tell them what they can do with their merchandise...
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

This one bar where my friend used to work would actually tell people "Get the fuck out!" at around 2:15 - 2:20. I think part of the reason they get away with it is because of the strict laws in my state regarding alcohol. For one thing, everyone who is not an employee is required to be out of the place no later than 2:30. I don't know what the fines are, but I imagine they're steep.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              This one bar where my friend used to work would actually tell people "Get the fuck out!" at around 2:15 - 2:20. I think part of the reason they get away with it is because of the strict laws in my state regarding alcohol. For one thing, everyone who is not an employee is required to be out of the place no later than 2:30. I don't know what the fines are, but I imagine they're steep.
              The bar my ex hangs out at is attached to a hotel, right off the lobby. They close between 1 and 2 (depending on the day and how busy they are); some of the regulars would hang out after that, and they would kick us out but we could take our drinks into the lobby and finish them as long as we returned the glasses. The doors weren't actually locked so it didn't really matter and we could still go back through to get to our cars without walking around the building. They just wanted to be able to clean up everything; then they could just throw those few glasses in the sink and go.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

im back with another one, last night had to be the worst closing i had. we "close" at 10pm.

10:15- married couple with baby still shopping like is 10am. just walking around looking at picking up stuff still. only people left in the store beside workers.
                10::25- make reminder annoucement(refer to my first post), couple is still shopping like they dont speak english
                10:30- finally one of the closing mangers finds them and tell them that we are closed.
                10:35- couple finally leaves after check-out.

this makes me insanely mad because the managers cant start walking depts untill everybody has left and we have 5 depts and mine is usually the lst one to be walked(even if we are the first ones done, but thats for another thread)

Comment

Working...
                X