Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some dumb "tips and stratagies" my dept has....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some dumb "tips and stratagies" my dept has....

Like any call center dept, we have "cheat sheets" and other things designed to make a tech's job easier. About half the techs use them but some, like me, do not. We like to use our own form of troubleshooting that is usually more effective.

Some tips on the cheat sheets are OK but others are plain stupid, like:

1. For spyware/virus issues, run a scan with a scanner the client already has.

Why it was implemented: They don't directly say it, but running a scan with an already-installed program is a quick way to get the client off the phone (we tell them to call back for long scans) so your average call time is reduced.

Why it's stupid: The client is calling to to remove malware because his/her current software was ineffective in doing so. Why do it again?

2. Do NOT download any 3rd party browsers for the client.

Why it was implemented: The company does not want you to install a 3rd party browser on the basis that it's safer and then have the client call back screaming a month later "He told me I won't get a virus using this and I got one anyway!"

Why it's stupid: Everybody knows unless you're an idiot and manually download a file that contains a virus (NOT the browser's fault), you're better off only using IE for sites like Windows Update as 3rd party browsers ARE safer. Plus, 3rd party browsers are faster in downloaded pages.

3. Do NOT remove a client's antivirus software to fix an issue.

Why it was implemented: Removing a client's antivirus software is not advised because if a client does not replace it with something and they get a virus, we are liable to remove the virus for free.

Why it's stupid: Let's say the client cannot access secure sites but they can in safe mode, or the PC is running very slow and is clean otherwise. This issue is almost always caused by a damaged Norton or Mcafee. I know this and immediately remove the damaged software and guess what? Problem solved! Some techs are so adamant about this "tip" that they will tell the client they need to format, instead of removing the software. Let's just say this, if it comes down to removing your piece of crap Norton or reformatting, what is better? As far as alternate products, I usually replace the damaged software with the freeware editions of AVG and ZoneAlarm, and the client is happy.
Working...
X