This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coworkers' birthdays suck

This involves a coworker AND the manager, both of whom are not on my good list at the moment.

Today is (was?) R's birthday. He apparently decided that since it's his birthday, he wanted to leave work 2 hours early. He somehow managed to talk Bossman into asking me to come in at noon instead of 2.

I ended up working for almost 10½ hours, with no break, no snack, or anything but a buttload of work (checking in new magazines, checking out old magazines, taking out 3 HUGE outside garbages, AND single handedly resetting our new 4ft HBA area, plus taking care of well over 400 customers).

What really pissed me off is R honestly expected me to be thrilled to death at the prospect of working for 10 hours, and my boss said to me, "I don't know why I called you; it wouldn't have mattered if you had said no." Except they both know that unless I am dead, I WON'T say no.

Although, I have to admit that it was jealousy more then anything else: I not only had to work my birthday last year, I had to be at work at 6 am after working until after 10:30 the night before, and I almost had to stay later the day of, besides. I'm the one that always helps out and covers whoever needs it, but NO ONE ever does the same for me.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

I know the feeling. I cover shifts for my coworkers ALL the time, and take ALL the late and holiday shifts no one else wants, but when I send an email out asking to switch because of a conflict with my second job, or a doctor's appt, no one will switch, and I often end up having to cancel, or reschedule my life because the scheduler ignored my request for an early shift.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
      What really pissed me off is R honestly expected me to be thrilled to death at the prospect of working for 10 hours, and my boss said to me, "I don't know why I called you; it wouldn't have mattered if you had said no."

Next time, ask R how HE'D like to be called in two hours early because of someone else's birthday. Hell, pull the same thing on HIM for YOUR birthday.

As to Bossman, who exactly would he have called to work a two hour shift?

Am I right in guessing that you're the first one always called?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Do you at least get overtime?

If you say yes because you need the money, at least next time make it clear up front that you WILL take any breaks your are entitled to, plus an extra to compensate for the extra time you're working. It's one thing to be willing to work, but quite another to be expected to work nonstop and be stepped on in the process...

And I worked on my last birthday when I was in the store...it was a Saturday and I goofed off a lot and spent 45 minutes just picking up lunch (though that was the sandwich place's fault, not mine...they were having register problems and got backed up), and at least that long getting everyone's order together, but I helped my share of customers and covered for people and it was mercifully slow for a Saturday...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It feels good to help out, and if you care about your job, it's easy to always be the helpful one, that one that comes in for extra shifts, helps with extra works, etc.

But no one will really appreciate all you do until you start saying, "No." Not all the time, not the majority of time, but if it's inconvenient or you just don't want to do it, then just say, "No."

They'll start appreciating it more when you say, "Yes."
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Y'know, those birthdays just creep up on you unannounced, don't they?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              If you say yes because you need the money, at least next time make it clear up front that you WILL take any breaks your are entitled to, plus an extra to compensate for the extra time you're working. It's one thing to be willing to work, but quite another to be expected to work nonstop and be stepped on in the process...
              She works in a gas station. That means no scheduled breaks, no scheduled lunch. (Gotta love WI labor laws sometimes, don't ya?)
              Unseen but seeing
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                She works in a gas station. That means no scheduled breaks, no scheduled lunch. (Gotta love WI labor laws sometimes, don't ya?)
                You've got to be kidding... They can do that? Make you work without a lunch break? Damn hunnie... you gotta move! LoL
                I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

i not only had to work my birthday last year but I was at a wedding the night before and I was hungover
                  The Pens 2009 Stanley Cup Champs

Listen to some Steely Dan Tonight its good for Ya

Il Son Patie

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
                    You've got to be kidding... They can do that? Make you work without a lunch break? Damn hunnie... you gotta move! LoL
                    Yes. I just finished a stint at a C-store in WI and will never do that again.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

As if Monday wasn't bad enough...

On Tuesday, K went to the doctor with all over muscle pain, and being pregnant, she wasn't taking any chances. Turns out that she had the flu, but the baby's fine. That's all well and good.

The problem was that B was out of town and our last resort 3rd shift guy from another store wasn't answering his phone (he called back yesterday and said he had been out of town, etc.). What did all that mean for yours truly?

I ended up working for 12 straight hours.

I called Bossman at 8PM saying I couldn't get ahold of anyone. He said, "Well what are our options?" I told him K was going to try to come in but the meds weren't kicking in so she couldn't (as if I would let her, sick, pregnant and 3-5 inches of snow falling), but she still wanted to after she found out I couldn't get anyone. Bossman asked me to stay till 2AM.

He finally came rolling in at 2:15!! I managed to leave at 2:30, got home just before 3, and went to bed just after 3. When I got to work at 2 that afternoon, I found out Bossman worked somewhere more then 8 hours but less then 10. I was pissed.
                      Last edited by Bella_Vixen; 02-16-2007, 03:43 AM.

Comment

If you work more than your boss, doesn't that say something?
                        Unseen but seeing
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat your boss is just for decoration?
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

That he's getting damn close to retirement and just doesn't care anymore, is my guess.

Comment

That's sad. Very sad.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X