This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Caveat Emptor View Post
    I can't believe they still make those smell markers, the ones that smell like blueberry or strawberry. The BLACK ones - it's like "we WANT kids to huff these!"
    Yeah, but you won't get high off those. My kids have a set of Mr. something or other markers that are all fruit-scented, and you can NOT get high off them (trust me, their dad tried).
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
      Auto Parts store, in the body work aisle, stocking fiber glass repair kits.

Whoo yeah.
      Also, that was the reason why ether gave way to "Quick Start". Also, there were a few deaths around here a couple of years ago from gas-line antifreeze. One guy accidently started to drink it, thinking it was alcohol, and he passed away from it. After the funeral, several members of the family got together, and drinks were had--including some from the inital bottle of gas-line antifreeze. Two family members died, if I remember right. All three were concidered accidents, I believe.

Anyways, I used to work in a large warehouse that sold body shop supplies--paints, paint thinner, sandpaper, paper towels, etc. In the mornings, I would mix paint, leaving me pretty light-headed. Anyways, we also would sell undercoating--which is thick, black, heavy shit that is sprayed on the undersides of cars to keep them from rusting. Most of the time we would sell it in spray cans or gallon buckets, but we would occationally sell giant P.I.T.A. 55-gallon drums of the stuff. They came to us on a pallet of four. This story took place befor I worked there:

One guy that worked there was J. He was our main receiver, and he never cracked a smile, and he was always in a hurry. He never slowed, whether he was walking, writing, or driving the forklift. One day, we got in a shipment of undercoating in, and J, in a hurry, was bombing around the warehouse on the forklift. J had a pallet of undercoating on the forklift, and for some reason he had to stop right fucking now!! I can't remeber if he hit something, was avoiding someone, or what, but he stopped. Too bad the undercoating didn't stop. Four 55 gallon drums kept on keeping on, and crashed to the floor, spreading 220 gallons of black crap all over the floor. This happened at two p.m., and J started to clean up as best he could. At five, (end of the day) everyone else pitched in, trying to clean up this mess. Of course, you need paint thinner to clean it up properly. At about 7 or 8 that night, the job was (more or less) finished, and even with all 3 bay doors open, and even with their tolerance to fumes, everyone was light-headed and high as a kite. This happened about 2 or 3 years before I was hired, and you could still see where the undercoating was on the floor.

Also, I used to work at a burger joint. One of my co-workers would climb onto the roof during his break, and (purposefully) get high.
      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
        Also, that was the reason why ether gave way to "Quick Start". Also, there were a few deaths around here a couple of years ago from gas-line antifreeze. One guy accidently started to drink it, thinking it was alcohol, and he passed away from it. After the funeral, several members of the family got together, and drinks were had--including some from the inital bottle of gas-line antifreeze. Two family members died, if I remember right. All three were concidered accidents, I believe.
        Okay, now that's worthy of an entire series of Darwin awards right there. We had drinks at my Mother-in-Law's funeral last weekend, but we drank sherry, not antifreeze. (although my ex-husband has often mentioned that he likes blue drinks, so he has to keep reminding himself that the blue antifreeze is NOT good to drink).
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          (although my ex-husband has often mentioned that he likes blue drinks, so he has to keep reminding himself that the blue antifreeze is NOT good to drink).
          No, it was not antifreeze/coolant (which would be either green or orange/red) and it was not winter windsheild washer fluid (which is blue) but gas-line antifreeze, which is poured into a gas tank to thaw frozen gaslines which are caused by water getting into the tank in the winter and freezing. It is a clear product and alcohol-based, although probably not very tasty. And I can't help but wonder what kind of container it was stored in to make people think that it was something that you could drink.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
            Yeah, but you won't get high off those. My kids have a set of Mr. something or other markers that are all fruit-scented, and you can NOT get high off them (trust me, their dad tried).
            The only markers I'm aware of that can give you a buzz, are the permanent ones made by Sanford. No, I do not sniff them. However, after using them to make signs at work one afternoon, let's just say the pink elephants were flying around. Even so, I'm not sure fruity-smelling markers are a good idea--wouldn't kids think that sniffing markers is harmless?
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
              No, it was not antifreeze/coolant (which would be either green or orange/red) and it was not winter windsheild washer fluid (which is blue) but gas-line antifreeze, which is poured into a gas tank to thaw frozen gaslines which are caused by water getting into the tank in the winter and freezing. It is a clear product and alcohol-based, although probably not very tasty. And I can't help but wonder what kind of container it was stored in to make people think that it was something that you could drink.
              Methyl alcohol which is poisoness is what they drank possibly mixed with glychol. Small amounts might not kill you but you'll think you're dieing. I remember a teacher of mine talk about men buying Witch-Hazel during the Christmas holidays (during prohibition) to drink, that stuff is just plain nasty smelling I can only imagine what it tastes like. Bathtub gin is basically ethel-alcohol mixed with some water and flavorings (usually juniper). Moonshine for the most part is just straight ethel and water and leaves a mighty fine headache.
              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

During WW1 and 2, it wasn't uncommon for men to pull off a bit of alcohol from the guns to drink. (Some were cooled with alcohol jackets.)

There's one story that sticks in my mind though. After Berlin fell, some Russians got thirsty. Not finding anything strong enough, or more likely drinking it all, they proceded to drink ROCKET fuel straight out of the tank car. *note: German rocket fuel was essentially a type of alcohol, akin to wood alcohol.
                Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                X