This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unforgettably interesting time at work

I'm going to miss third shift... because there aren't any supervisors or managers around, I often get called on to do things I'll never be asked to do on first shift.

Unfortunately, I can't really go into a lot of details about what happened a few nights ago. But, we suddenly had a major spike in call volume. It's happened before, so I didn't think much about it. I just reported to our network center that we were suddenly taking a lot of calls.

Then, about a half hour later, the network guy sent me an email... "Follow this situation closely. We can't find any reason why there should be a huge increase in calls. Keep sending me reports."

So, I did what I was told to do. Right before I was about to leave at 7AM, the network guy wrote me: "We don't still don't know exactly what the problem is, but you're picking up on some trends that seem important. We're setting up a conference call. We need you to join in."

So, I joined in. As we introduced ourselves, I found I was in the company of a lot of very important people in the company.

What immediately became obvious was that the problem wasn't confined to the local area... reports started coming in from other areas in the East... and then the Midwest...

To make a long story short, I got the rare opportunity to spend a morning hanging out with some of the best minds in the cable business, listening to them working out a problem from the ground up. I'm forever impressed by intelligence, and watching these people in action was an event. And, now and again, they'd ask me for input. Me? A year ago, I was a temp in the order entry department.

And when it was over, my boss came up to me. He said, "you know, you did some good work here today."
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

It's cool when things like that happen. Kudos to you!

Comment

Awesome!!!!!!!
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*sings* Cause I'm T-N-T, I'm dynamite!

Go, you!
        "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

Here's a link to help you stay apprised of security issues so next time if you get in this type of situation, you might already know the answer. That could be the way to get a promotion.

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/index.html

FYI, I was in a similar situation but as Tier 3, I helped prevent it in my organization. A virus was found and on day 1 I notified my manager and we put in some defenses until a virus patch could be released. In the meantime, alot of other systems in the other portions of the company were hit with this virus. All sites but mine and 3 others (1 of which I had warned ahead of time) were hit with this virus, about 60,000 computers. Since then, it has been said that I walk on water.
          Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Congratulations, TNT!

Doing good work can make you feel good, but it's a lot better when people higher up notice. You never know what may come from this.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
            X