Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little something I call common sense...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little something I call common sense...

I know, the concept doesn't exist in the world of many customers. I've been very fortunate in my new job that 99% of my customers are wonderful. They're pleasant, they're easy to deal with, and are in and out within a minute.

It's that other 1% that really just makes me wonder.

[Long from here]

I'm currently the afternoon/evenings person for a privately owned and operated hospital gift shop. We're a lovely little shop with clothing from Beijing (partnership with a flight attendant!), stuffed animals for just about all occasions, baby clothes and sundries, and a huge assortment of snacks ranging from candy bars to bags of dried fruit and nuts (my personal favorite).

However, because we're such a nice and clean little operation, we have a few ground rules. Kids must be accompanied by a parent, they may not have open food or drink items. They may not open newly purchased food items in the store. Adults may have drinks provided they have a lid.

The shop doors had to be taken off their top frame hinges so that they will open all the way as the hallway we enter from is not very wide. Fire hazzard and all that.

We are also working on reinstating the employee debit function as the cafeteria has and the previous shop had. We don't have it up yet since the payroll people refuse to give us a guarantee that we will be paid the correct amount from participating employee's paycheck each month. Yeah.

So today, and this is just the highlights so far, I had a larger male nurse come in and start pouring over the snack wall. He picked out at least $15 in snacks, had me ring it all up, then try to swipe his badge/hospital ID. I reminded him that it's not available, but should be soon. He then poorly disguised his disgust under condescension to remind me that we would be making a killing if we just allowed employee debit. Duh pal, we know this. We just want a guarantee to get most of the money we're owed first.

Not too long after that I had a small family come in. First it was the two women who were browsing around in the clothes. Soon after came the dad and the infant. Dad was holding the baby, but left the huge baby stroller right in the middle of the hallyway. When I said they were welcome to park the baby stroller inside the door to keep the hallway clear, they all pretended not to speak English. That is, until they wanted to ask a question about the Opae'ula. Yeah, you speak English fine now, don't you?

Ultimately, I adore this job, but as with every job, there are people who just don't exercise their minds.

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
    We don't have it up yet since the payroll people refuse to give us a guarantee that we will be paid the correct amount from participating employee's paycheck each month. Yeah.
    We have that at my place of work--but as far as I know, the in-store cafe is guarenteed to get paid. We actually had an (former) employee actually owe so much to us and the cafe, his final paycheck was not enough to cover what he owed. (He would eat at the cafe for breakfast and lunch, and ordered a bunch of stuff from us when he was fired for being-essentially-a lazy douchebag)
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
      So today, and this is just the highlights so far, I had a larger male nurse come in and start pouring over the snack wall. He picked out at least $15 in snacks, had me ring it all up, then try to swipe his badge/hospital ID. I reminded him that it's not available, but should be soon. He then poorly disguised his disgust under condescension to remind me that we would be making a killing if we just allowed employee debit. Duh pal, we know this. We just want a guarantee to get most of the money we're owed first.
      Dear Mister Nurse

Talk to your payroll people. We don't want to give stuff away and they want a loophole that means they don't have to pay us.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
      X