This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS- What Do You Think?

Last night my SM and I closed and of course at the very last minute a person (just one) came in. Easy to foresee us staying open well after closing time so this person could choose a movie. In the end the person was very quick and we lost less than 5 minutes after closing- but that isn't always the case.

My SM said that he'd rather if this happens that it be ten or more people instead of just one- that way it actually justifies the extra cost of being open late. One person's rental really doesn't cover it obviously.

On the flip side- 10+ people means we're there longer and I just want to go home.

Thoughts?
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

My thoughts is, closed is closed. If people are already in the store at closing time, they can make their purchases but they need to go. If they are not already in the store, too bad. The door gets locked at 11 and someone waits to let anyone still in the store out. But I'm with you, I'd rather one person because we still have stuff to do after closing and ten people in the store means fewer employees actually cleaning up.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Closing time is closing time
      Leave your house 10 minutes earlier if you wanted a movie that bad
      Get "On Demand"
      Read the hours-they're posted for a reason

Can you tell how I feel about that one? I can't stand it when people come in while you're tryin to close...
      I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
      "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

I am talking about people who come in while we're open but yes, last minute.
        If closed is closed then open is open- even at 5 or 2 minutes till.

And yes, they need to make their purchases and go... I'm thinking maybe I worded this wrong or somehow the point was lost.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

I hate when people come in 5 mins to close. It's just annoying because 99% of the time they don't take less than 5 mins to get their s*** and get out. If they do, then I don't mind so much.

What really sucks is the "that guy is in there they must still be open so I can shop to" phenomenon- since 1 guy is in there 5 mins to close, the whole herd will probably follow him in and then you're stuck til half of forever trying to move them all back out......
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Whenever I saw people come in within 10 minutes of closing, I'd just remind them that we'd be closing in x minutes. Then they can't play stupid when the time comes. Usually they're ok about it. Plus we make announcements at 10:30, :45, :55 and close. And they tend to get successively louder and more stern (at least when I do 'em).

Comment

Frankly, the way I see it is a closing time is supposed to be when purchases stop being rung through, as in "the close of business," not "the doors are closed," so people who come in close to close are being at least a little insane.

Though in this specific case, I think it better that one person come in quickly, or even for a medium time, than 10 people for any length of time. You can more easily work around one person, perhaps doing tidy-up work, than with 10 people in, and catch up to where you'd normally be if the one person hadn't shown up close to close, so that you get the extra rental without staying open "longer."
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I would rather deal with one then 10 at the end of the day.

As far as the amount of transactions occuring "justifying staying open late" ...that doesn't make alot of sense to me.
                There are plenty of dead times during the day at the video store when work is being done, but no transactions are occuring.

Comment

Quoth Maevis View Post
                  I would rather deal with one then 10 at the end of the day.

As far as the amount of transactions occuring "justifying staying open late" ...that doesn't make alot of sense to me.
                  There are plenty of dead times during the day at the video store when work is being done, but no transactions are occuring.

Same here. We did have DVD Rentals, but no one ever done that, but the second we stop it, they start asking. Plus, I hate, when I am mopping up, and they all come in, and yes I mopped at the end of the night, every Friday night.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    Same here. We did have DVD Rentals, but no one ever done that, but the second we stop it, they start asking. Plus, I hate, when I am mopping up, and they all come in, and yes I mopped at the end of the night, every Friday night.

OT but we had the cleaning crew in every morning from 7-a little before 9, and they always mopped the tile at the front of the store. I always felt bad walking on it, especially on Tuesdays when all the new releases came out and I had too much to do at the front to wait for the floor to dry.

Comment

Working...
                    X