This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdated equipment

The store I work in is only 2 years old. The machines I work with seem to be about 10 years old.
    The actual paint shakers are all right. I'm sure there's been no major technological breakthroughs in paint shaking technology.
    My main beef is with the color sampler/matching machine. For those of you that don't know, a color matching computer has a component that emits a laser that reads a paint chip, or fabric, or wallpaper, etc., reads the desired color, and sends it to the computer so the worker drone can make paint from it. Home Depot, our major competition, has a reader the size of a small handheld scanner. My department has a reader the size of a concrete block. It is not handheld; it sits heavily on the counter, mocking me.
    It estimates the correct color 8 out of 10 times; therefore, I have to do a lot of manual adjusting to get close to the correct color. I admit, it's made me a lot better at mixing paint, because I can now tell what colors are in something just by looking. But it makes for a lot of unnecessary work, and slows down my paint making groove. If a customer brings in something larger than, say, a greeting card, then it's very awkward for me to hold it to the reader. An old cabinet door? Forget it; I need extra hands.
    I had a customer today bring in a little totable flower box. She wanted a color that was in the handle. For the life of me, I couldn't position the box to be read. I tried so many times, but I couldn't make the lens of the machine come in contact with the flower box. Customer ended up going to Home Depot.
    Want some stain matched? Might as well go to our competition. Want the same color as your pillow? Go to our competition.
    I always try my best when it comes to color matching. But I always let the customer know that it may take longer than anticipated to get the right color. That makes me and my store look bad.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

I've never understood as to why companies don't replace equipment when it starts to look like it's from the Stone Age. Wait, it makes sense.

As for old equipment, try a 1988 Ford Truck. We swear the odometer has rolled over 5 or 6 times. The thing is a piece of shit, the indicator that says if you're in park, reverse, drive, etc is broken, the radio light is dim, it's caught fire for the last 4 years, and the wipers are crap. I just wish we could destroy that truck.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Our store is seriously out dated. The only thing that works properly is the brand new security system. The old one finally bit the dust after about 30 years. Only 1 of our 4 registers is updated, but it reguluarly breaks down. The tolits run, the computers are slow and sometimes the satalite looses contact in bad weather (meaning no credit card, debit cards or checks). We desperatly need a new building. A year ago we were on a list to be moved, but nothing has happened since.
      I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

I hate our CC machines. We had a perfectly good one, but they replaced it, with something, that is crap. When we press a button for the customer's recipient copy, it doesn't print out, not for me anyway. Everyone one else, can get it to print, but not me.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

And from the other side:

I worked in a junkyard for a while. My boss had a 25+ year old truck, meticulously upkept, with the bed converted into a hydraulic lift (scissors type-- the entire bed could lift about 5 meters up in the air) that he picked up for under $500 (maybe under $300-- I forget the exact amount). His brother called him up, said "Get up here before someone notices their mistake!" because the corporation he worked for had put it up for sale. Someone looked at the age of the truck, and nothing else, and decided to sell it for what they could get.

Since this was a junkyard I was at, replacement parts for everything but the bed-- and maybe even that-- were readily availilble.

Comment

We've got a fairly recent computer, but the thing about it is that it has no cashbox hooked up to it. We punch everything into the computer, it gives us the total, we punch in the amount of cash we've been given and it gives us the amount of change to give. Then we step to the right to our manual cash register and punch that number in and give out the change.

The cash register in question dates back to the late sixties. It has an old adding-machine-style keyboard with a file of ten keys for each digit, and the total comes up on a pin-wheel display. It goes ka-ching, too.
            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Most of the equipment at my office isn't that old. It's starting to show its age though...and is probably getting replaced soon.

One thing that needs to die is that damn fax machine. It's gotten to the point, that you have to stand by it and feed each sheet through. If you don't, the thing jams, and stops sending. Doesn't matter if it's on the first, or last page...it's annoying.

Rather than send old computer stuff to the landfill, I usually get it for parts. I salvage what I can. Some parts go into my own machines, others to charities. The rest gets scrapped. Right now, I have a currently-dead server at home that I'd like to turn into a web server. Put that on hold because the SCSI card is scrap, and the board doesn't seem to support IDE.

Also salvaged from work, is an older Compaq running Win98. Not sure what I'll do with it--maybe turn it into a "Wolfenstein-only" machine? Other dead machines include the remains of a PII Gateway, and some no-name POS with an Intel board. The last one was gutted for parts...and then the case met its fate with the 40-pound fence maul. Trust me, there's no feeling any greater, than beating the living shit out of a piece of junk
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Our planes are all shiny and new. Our credit card machine is one of those plastic swiper things from the 80's and half the time they don't work.
                No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                  I hate our CC machines. We had a perfectly good one, but they replaced it, with something, that is crap. When we press a button for the customer's recipient copy, it doesn't print out, not for me anyway. Everyone one else, can get it to print, but not me.
                  I really hope you take this in the tongue-in-cheek manner in which it's intended....

your overactive use of commas makes your posts read like William Shatner talking... I'll shut up now.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I was told by my manager at the gas station that they'd only had their newer looking cash register and CC machine and Telecheck for only a couple of years. Up until about 2002 or 2003, they had used the old fashioned price stamper and had to manually ring up everything (on an old fashioned cash register). They still had the old fashioned CC machine under the counter (for what, I don't know...).

There are machines at the factory I work at now that have to be prototype of the year I was born. I swear some of them may even be older than I am. Instead of getting rid of them, when we get new machines, the old ones go to other departments. And maintenance men complain that they cannot fix these older machines because they are so outdated and the engineering is so ancient. Maybe it's an excuse, maybe not........but wow.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      I really hope you take this in the tongue-in-cheek manner in which it's intended....

your overactive use of commas makes your posts read like William Shatner talking... I'll shut up now.

Its cool, I do use to many commas. I like Shatner, and how he talks.
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        One thing that needs to die is that damn fax machine. It's gotten to the point, that you have to stand by it and feed each sheet through. If you don't, the thing jams, and stops sending. Doesn't matter if it's on
                        "One of these days, I kick this piece of shit out the window!"

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no jam?"

"PC Load Letter? What the fuck is that?"

Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                          "Why does it say paper jam when there is no jam?"

"PC Load Letter? What the fuck is that?"
                          Wow, do you work in my office Mike? I've had both of these questions...

...this week.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well, you know the remedy for both of those questions.... Grab the biggest hammer you can find, and "Hit any key to continue"
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                              At least you HAVE a CC machine! My workplace still uses the old system of paper slips that you put on top of the card and take a physical impression! Then we have to call the transactions in by phone.

I should be grateful they gave us computers, I guess!

Comment

Working...
                              X