X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    Wow, do you work in my office Mike?
    LOL, I doubt it, although I do work in an office. And "Office Space" is almost like required viewing here.

I had never seen it, until one of the managers witnessed me cussing at one of our ancient printers that kept jamming, and suggested I go rent "Office Space." She said I'd know why when a certain scene came up.

I liked it so much, I bought my own copy, which I've since loaned out to a handful of my coworkers.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      And "Office Space" is almost like required viewing here.
      Haha...that was my first thought. Where's protege's fax machine? Everyone grab a baseball bat! Let's go!! (oh, well, he's the closest I could get...)
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We need the ghetto music and everything

At the office I worked at in the summer of 2003, my not too computer literate boss had me working on an ancient DOS based order database (this program was written in the mid 1980s, think about how OLD that is in computer terms). On top of that, the only printer we had was a crusty old dot matrix printer(the ones that used the paper with the strips with holes in them on either side). To this day I do not know how I kept that stuff running.

At the games store I was at, I joined it when it was BRAND NEW, not just a new store, but a new BUILDING. We had the following problems:

- Peeling rubber baseboards
        - Non functioning shrinkwrap machine (rather than set us up with a new machine, they transferred some old beast of a unit in from another store. Last I heard it still wasn't working!)
        - Broken front door (broke twice in the first 4 months we had the store)
        - Broken door to back room
        - Broken door handle

and my personal favorite: Our tills were computer controlled, but for some stupid reason, they weren't configured so that when a credit or debit card was swiped through the reader, the number automatically went into the computer. This meant we had to key in the card number TWICE for every sale. Most customers were cool about it but a fair number were (rightfully) suspicious of the doubling up. I just can't believe they couldn't provide us a more efficient system.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
          We need the ghetto music and everything
          Damn it feels good to be a ganster!

Ooh, here's a guy with a baseball bat...not a fax machine, though...

On shrink wrap machines...ours broke last week. I went to seal something and the wire on one side popped off. I tried to use the other side to seal the last side of my package, and 3 inches of it glowed bright red and it threw a giant spark at me. So I turned it off. Luckily they fixed it the next day. But the conveyor belt for the "oven" part is always broken; we end up scorching our hands trying to shrink it. I keep saying I want to get one of those long handled paddles they use in pizza parlors.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Haha...that was my first thought. Where's protege's fax machine? Everyone grab a baseball bat! Let's go!! (oh, well, he's the closest I could get...)
            When that thing finally 'breaks,' it's going to die a most cruel, and painful death That is, the 40-pound fence maul is going to have a new target
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We have modern tills, but there awful, they crash constantly. The two PC's are from the 80's and no where else uses the things, complete shite. Everything else is average, not old, not new.

Comment

Working...
              X