This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My name is MINE, no-one else's

So, we were chatting at work the other day (before I went on leave, glorious leave!) and I was regaling my coworkers with stories from this site
    I mentioned how call centre operators in the US don't have to give out their full name, and asked the team leader if we have to give our surname if the customer requests it.

He said "Yes"

To which I replied: "Bugger that for a game of soldiers. My last name is MY last name, and therefore only I have the decision-making power over who gets it and who doesn't. Not to mention that I'm the only iradney working in this call centre."

My name is not common, and when you combine an unusual English name with a common Afrikaans surname, it'd be easy enough to track me down.

Am I being:
    a) Paranoid?
    b) Unreasonable?
    The report button - not just for decoration

Iradney -

No I don't think you're either. Those who call in should not know the full name of anyone but the higher ups. Then they can have the loverly pleasure of dealing with those idiots at all times of the day/night.

Comment

No, I don't give mine out. I don't work in a call center, but I won't wear a nametag with my last name on it.

I will say this, though, prior to the National Do Not Call registry, if you were a telemarketer, you were required by law to give out your full name at the onset of the call. Nobody did it, but it was the law.

I don't know how much of that law has changed since the NDNC registry started, though, so I'm not 100 percent sure. And I'm sure that law only refers to outgoing calls, not incoming ones.

Comment

As far as I know there aren't really any laws about privacy or not giving out personal information, but I do know that the right to privacy is mentioned in the Constitution. They can read my email, monitor my internet, whatever, but I do think that it's my decision on what information I give to complete and total strangers...

Comment

Nunyabinnis is my last name
          You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

With all the psycho stalkers in the world these days, it's stupid and dangerous to give your full name to a pissed-off customer. Especially if you're listed in the phone book.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I would never give mine. Our name tags only have first names. We take our ID passess off onboard, they obviously have full names.
              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Start using a new name. Insist that you're legally filing to change it.

Bond. James Bond.
                Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

It can be

All people need to know is what area you live in and your full name to track you down. Don't give it out.
                  You could just get a work name and use it at work. We do have to give a full name in the UK, but it does not have to be your real name. Just so long as you use it and accept responsibility for it.
                  Just make one up and use it all the time
                  ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                  Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Iradney you could use 'Trout Fishing in America' as a last name.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I'm just not gonna give out my name. They pay me to do work, that doesn't mean they own me!

Comment

No, they don't own you or your name. And if they'd like to own your name you should copyright it and charge them a hefty fee.
                        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                        HellGate: London

Comment

My last name is so uncommon only about 50 people in all of Canada have it, a third of those at most in the province of Ontario.

If you knew my last name and what geographical area I live in (even if it were as broad as "southern Manitoba"), you could find me in a split second.

I NEVER give out my last name, my first name and call centre ID are enough.

Comment

I only give my last name to people that, I want to have it.
                            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

at the call center hubby and I work at, you HAVE to give out your last name. But you have the option of using a fake name. Im very much against giving out a full name, so Ive always used a psuedo name...there are too many idiots in this world, and they get pissed off over the stupidest stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X