This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best. Job. Ever.

I really, really, really hope this isn't premature, but I just finished my skills assessment for a Customer Care Representative position at a cellular company's call center (which is actually about 10-15 minutes away from my house and involves only 4 turns to get to), and do the actual interview on Wednesday. I have no problem keeping my cool with sucky customers on the phone, or doing anything listed in the job description, and everyone I spoke to there gave me the right kind of vibes. The best part, though? NO SALES! I don't have to pimp anything during a call. Zilch. Zero. Nada. It's straight account service and Tier-1 tech support.

On top of that, the LEAST I'll be offered is $10/hr and, given my amount of general customer service experience, it might be closer to $12... PLUS up to $1.50/hr shift differential if I work nights, which is my preferred shift anyway. $25/mo for health/vision/dental with no deductible and a $10 co-pay, a 5% match on the 401k, education reimbursement that covers books, tuition, and a lot of other expenses, and the typical ultra-discounted rate plan with a discount on hardware that gets bigger as you stay longer. After 5 years, you even get a $400 annual credit towards a phone upgrade.

Oh, and preference for shift assignments is given based on performance, not seniority, and you get 19 PTO days per year, accumulating each pay period, and you can have up to 24 days banked at once... so by the time I finish training and can use any of it, I'll already have 2 days off and change accumulated! No dress code, either. I saw people coming in for the afternoon shift wearing cargo shorts, sandals, and a Slayer T-shirt.

The facilities are awesome, too. They've got a cafeteria, a 24hr fitness center, a web-cafe, a nap room if you want to sleep on your lunch break, and even a free arcade. Yes, an arcade for employees! The whole place has an upbeat, casual feel, and was definitely designed either with color psychology in mind, or by a decorator that REALLY knows how to create ambiance.

Can you tell I'm excited?
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Wow.... your making me jealous. Sounds to me like I work for the wrong cellular provider :/

Hoope you land that job

Comment

That's wonderful! Please keep us posted.
      He loves the world...except for all the people.
      --Men at Work

Comment

Congratulations... I hope you get the job.

Personally, I think call centers have a lot to offer. Where I work, the CSR jobs don't require any skills Wal-Mart doesn't require... but the pay is a bunch higher and the benefits are exquisite.

Plus, for the right people, there's usually a lot of opportunities for advancement. One of the keys, of course, is doing a good job. But an (apparently) little-known secret is that companies like employees who take an interest in the business, both the company they work for and the industry in general.

When I first started, we were allowed to do whatever we wanted between calls. So, when the bosses walked by and saw 99% of the people playing games, no problem. But when promotion time came around, they remembered the guy they saw reading on-line trade journals.
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

UPDATE

I did my phone interview this morning and I managed to make it on to the final stage, which is an all-in-one panel style interview with all the relevant people at once. I go in tomorrow at 1100 GMT -6, and I'm pretty sure I can sell myself if I can get past my nerves. Unfortunately, it will involves hypothetical/role-play questions, which I absolutely despise above all else. I hate being asked to respond to a vague what-if scenario before I've ever been offered any sort of training or knowledge on the procedures! I'm too much of a specifics-oriented person to be able to just spout off on that kind of stuff.
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I like role playing. It's even better if I'm given the opportunity to write out the dialog.
            My Fanfic Page
            My Fiction Page
            My Social Group
            My Pet Social Group
            My You Tube Channel

Comment

JustADude - that sounds AWESOME. where can I sign up??
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Back from the interview. I'm oddly calm now. Everything's done, and I'll either get the job or I won't. The roleplay was critiqued then and there and the only downside they said was that I was a bit too impersonal. Other than that I think I made a good personal impression with the interviewers and, in listening in on the phones for a little, I discovered the place really is about customers.

I'm starting to realize that, while they DO charge about $5 more a month for the same plan as places like Sprint and Cingular, you get the service to back it up. It's the whole "Nordstrom's vs Dillard's" philosophy.

Oh, and Iradney, you might as well call the place Purple(maybe Pink)-Letter Wireless.

Comment

YES! YES! YES! I'm in!

They've got to finish the background check (total non-issue there) before I they tell me my actual salary and I sign the paperwork, but they called me right before I left for work today and told me I got the job! I've gotta say thanks to everyone that's posted their call-center experiences, because without them I'd never have applied.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but I look on clueless idiots as a chance to educate someone and raise the humanity's collective IQ by a fraction of a point, and the actual abusive customers seem to be few and far between.

Orientation is 10am-7pm on the 9th, then 8 weeks of training from noon to 9pm. After that I'll be pulling 4pm-1am Sun-Thurs with the option to take an open slot on a different shift after 6 months. With hours like that, and the vibes I picked up from the cubicle farm, I don't think it'll feel like I'm even working.

Comment

YAY, I am doing the Happy Dance (tm) for us both!!
                    He loves the world...except for all the people.
                    --Men at Work

Comment

Working...
                    X