This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm effective!

So I'm student teaching this semester if you don't know already. Part of student teaching is doing a Teacher Work Sample where you pre-assess, teach a 5-day unit, post-assess, and analyze the data based on socioeconomic standings, race, gender, classroom setting, etc. I taught my Kindergarten - Five Senses unit last week. My pre- and post-assessments were cut-and-glue matching papers with pictures of a nose, mouth, hand, etc on one side and a teddy bear, hamburger, flowers, etc on the other. The students could score anywhere between 0 (none) and 5 (all) points.

Pre-assessment scores: 5, 0, 5, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 3, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 5

I hated doing the pre-assessment because it's supposed to be a raw score based soley on what the kids know with absolutely no teaching beforehand. Some of the kids were freaking out. But anyway. I designed the unit, taught a sense a day, and post-assessed just yesterday.

Post-assessment scores (same order as before): 5, 3, 5, 2, 0, 0, 3, 5, 2, 5, 2, 5, 5, 5, 5, 2

After writing down the post-assessment scores and comparing them, my eyes went wide. I squealed.

"Oh my gosh . . ."

My mentor looked up, puzzled.

"Oh . . . my gosh . . ."

Mentor becoming concerned.

"Oh. My. GOSH!"

Mentor confused, another student teacher comes in to see what I'm freaking out about.

"I'M AN EFFECTIVE TEACHER!!!!"

I start dancing around and hug-dance the other student teacher, who begins laughing. My mentor is laughing and squealing with me.

"I taught them something! I designed a unit on my own, I taught it, and they learned from it! They learned from ME!"

I am still so excited. A couple of these kids didn't even try on the post assessment (evident in the decrease in their scores - one little boy just glued pictures wherever he wanted and according to his paper you can smell both a teddy bear and a rainbow . . . *sigh*), but those who did really showed improvement.

But either way, a majority of the class learned something from a unit I designed and taught. My mentor congratulated me and praised my classroom management and reviewing skills. I'm on my way to becoming an effective teacher!

Woo, I'm good at my profession! C'mon! Happy dance with me!
    Last edited by kerrisan; 09-15-2007, 07:26 PM.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Cool. What could be better than actually teaching somebody something?
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
      "I taught them something! I designed a unit on my own, I taught it, and they learned from it! They learned from ME!"
      This made me smile for you.

I totally understand that you can dream something, study, get good grades, graduate, being told all along the way that this was indeed how people become a <insert profession here> but none of it compares to that first instance of concrete proof out in the real world.

Congrats!

Comment

I think that ^ says it all very nicely.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

That is fantastic! I know how you feel. I just had my first prac a few months ago, where I taught the students about the Roswell incident, then my supervising teacher tested them on what I taught them the next day (he was away when I taught them). I can't believe how much they learnt! And then they would say stuff I couldn't even remember teaching them, but apparently I did

Congrats on becoming a teacher! I think it will be so great once you get out there and have a class of your own.

Comment

Working...
          X