This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long long ago...

Just wanted to relate a story from my salad days, back when I did returns and technical support for an electronics store in NYC. The sales guys had sold a computer ($500 IBM PC compatible, single floppy drive, in a single-piece unit much like an old Apple; I think it was made by Franklin) to a woman for her two kids to use. She called in to complain...

W: "This computer doesn't do anything!"

Me: "Well, you need software to use it..."

W: "It's supposed to do something! I'm not gonna spend more money just to make it do something!"

Me: "Uhh..."

W: "I bought it so my kids could learn, if they can't learn anything I'm bringing it back!"

Me: "Well, your kids can learn on it..."

W: "How?"

I got her to put me on with her kids, then talked them through loading BASIC and entering a simple program. (Print something, GOTO 10). Explained that it was actually a pretty powerful computer (not state-of-the-art for the time, but leaps and bounds above what I'd taught myself on). She was quite awed, and decided to keep the computer.

Return prevention mission accomplished!

Sad to say that there's a lot of people who think that when they turn on a computer that they expect it to do stuff for them without them doing anything to get stuff initiated.

Comment

Working...
    X