This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This job gets better!

Well, i completed the training portion of my job, and found out a whole bunch of stuff.

I guess our contract gives me about 10 different kinds of days off, and the ability to bank time. By the end of this year i could easil have amassed 6 weeks worth of time off.

Every 6 weeks, i get a free day off, so if i use a single day of vacation/banked time/floater then i can get a whole week off. sincer were on a weird schedule.

Example, i worked nights friday/saturday/sunday, then had monday/today off, ill work days tomorrow/thursday then ill be off friday/saturday/sunday, then back to nights for monday/tuesday. So its sweet.

On top of all of that, sunday is all time and a half, so around $40 an hour, if im called in for OT i get 3 free meals (guys typically order 3 pizzas with salads and dessert and feed the whole crew). Not to mention the last 4 hours of overtime shifts are double time.

I cant believe how awesome this job is. I mean, i still work my ass off for 12 hours a shift, but never really more than 3 days in a row, and if its more than that then its big money haha. Plus i worked way harder as a welder back in the day, so im pretty used to it. Plus we get pension plan and stock options out the ying yang.

The only issue is the switching from nights to days kind of limits my time with the family, as all shifts are either 5 AM- 5 PM or 5PM-5 AM.

But all in all i pretty much won the lottery, and as of March 5th, ill be sworn into the union, and im guaranteed a job until i retire or the mill shuts down (which isnt likely since we just installed a turbine to sell power back to the grid, ensuring our profit and logevity, plus my paper machien is the only one in the world that can amke white paper strong enough to line cement bags, which is i guess a growing thing in the industry). I guess i could get fired, but it would take some sort of mass murder to do so lol.

So this is me very very excited

I'm so jealous.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Damn dude, that is a lot of time off, I'm beyond jealous.

Comment

It feels great to get a great job with some awesome benefits, doesn't it!?!?

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
          It feels great to get a great job with some awesome benefits, doesn't it!?!?
          Considering i went from jobs with base medical and no paid time off, work whatever shift youre told and if you say no youre fired, this job is pretty sweet haha!

Especially after im sworn into the union, then life gets really good.

They already hired 3 guys under me, so i wont be doing the bottom job for much longer, which means 5 hours a day sitting on my ass asa capper lol.

Comment

Wow! Sounds like you have a cool job.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Yeah, i mean there are no scheduled breaks in 12 hours, so since were continuous operation, if i let parts of my job fall behind, i could very well go the whole shift without a break. Especailly since there are so many aspects to what i have to do/keep track of.

Plus there are about 5 things that if i dont constantl keep track of it, then the whole machine goes down, and it takes about an horu to thread a paper machine 1000 feet long and 2 stories high lol

Comment

Working...
              X