This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need answers on what a test is

I am a cardiac patient. I have been having trouble with the past two cardiac episodes with the fingers on my right hand getting cold, numb, tingling and the tips turning blue about six to twelve hours before the chest pains kick in. My Dr today ordered an ANA blood test. What is this and what are they looking for? The way she was talking I am worried that it is something bad.

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
    My Dr today ordered an ANA blood test. What is this and what are they looking for? The way she was talking I am worried that it is something bad.
    google is your friend-ANA blood test
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Antinuclear antibody? But that is for autoimmune issues. And yes it would be bad as it could turn out to be lupus [sometimes it is lupus...]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Now I am worried. She did say that if it was negative then it is probably related to my heart condition.

Please do not let it be Lupus

I have been diagnosed with Prinzmetals. She said that it was possible with Prinzmetals that I could be also having spasms in the blood vessels in my wrists and hands.
        Last edited by FormerCallingCardRep; 06-30-2011, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
          Please do not let it be Lupus.
          Don't worry. It's never Lupus. Not until Season 4.

Comment

ANA: Anti-nuclear antibody test.

In a nutshell, your doc is testing for an immune disorder.

Your symptoms are consistent with Raynaud's Phenomenon, where spasms in the vascularture of the hands cause impaired tissue perfusion of the fingers: cold, blue, painful.

Raynaud's is associated with both autoimmune disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular diseases such as atherlorsclerosis. There are some other cardiovasclar problems as well that could be at fault.

If the ANA is negative, it is not an autoimmune problem, which means your doctor will look at the cardiovascular possibilities. Since there are SOoooo many things it COULD be, it is best to get the test result back to see where the diagnosis trail will go. It may be awhile before you get a definitive answer and you will most likely need more workup of some sort.

Keep us posted.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have already been diagnosed with Prinzmetals. I am on medication to calm my cardiac arteries. This has been happening just before a Prinzmetals attack. I have been requested to inform my Cardiologist about these spells when I see him in September. I am going in for the labs either this afternoon or in the morning.

When I saw the Dr Wednesday, my blood pressure was real low 90/50. It was close to the same in both arms. I had a minor Prinzmetals spell about a week ago. The reason I mentioned what happened to the Dr is my Hubby got worried.

Comment

I finally have all the answers as to what is going on. My fingers turning blue is related to the Prinzmetals. My cardiologist is changing my meds because he feels we are at the end of the usefullness of one that I have been on for 10 years now.

Comment

At least you're a colorful person? /lame joke
                  I'm glad things are getting sorted, despite the two months in between.
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                  X