Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got over a cold with a nasty cough myself but I can't take a lot of the OTC stuff (it clashes with meds).

So asked the pharmacy person and they were like eucalyptus or menthol stuff, small problem I'm asthmatic and they trigger attacks...so I just had to wait it out with paracetamol and lemon and honey cough syrup on hand.
    Last edited by Bardmaiden; 12-28-2011, 01:14 AM.
    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

You have my sympathy, I get bronchitis sometimes and it's like having a phlegm demon ensconced in your chest. Glad you're feeling better!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

What are these shower tablets you speak of? I have not heard of them.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Did the doctor order a chest x ray given your history of bronchitis?

Not everyone with a chest cold should get an xray. But at the least he could have given you an albuterol inhaler.

Without a chest x ray confirming an infiltrate, I agree antibiotics were probably not the best course.

But this doc's attitude was competely sucky. Sorry you had such a bad experience and that you are feeling better
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Panacea: no, no chest x-ray. I was also surprised, given my history, but eh, the doctor was an ass.

I am getting better, but yesterday, I think I overdid it. After the honey and the shower, I was all "Rawr!! I'm better, let's go out and run around!!!"

>.>

Not the best idea...

Ended up in the midst of a coughing fit where I coughed so hard I ended up vomiting, my gag reflex was so irritated. My poor boyfriend. He was trying to play around and cuddle before bed, and I started giggling which started the coughing fit.

This morning has been tea nonstop. I still have the tickle in the back of my throat, and I can feel it in my chest. More guaifenisen and more tea. I'm GOING to beat this thing by New Year's Eve because we have plans to go to the Riverwalk, so I can FINALLY see it all lit up and have a good time.

Comment

Lupo, as a frequent sufferer of sinus infections, I have a couple of suggestions.

First, any time you're fighting something viral, try elderberry. Sambuca is the best. I've put a shingles attack into remission in 12 hours with heavy doses of elderberry.

Second, get a neti pot and use it. You think a steamy shower loosens up the crap in your system? I've gotten some amazing (and disgusting) stuff out of my sinuses with a neti pot. At worst, it'll soften stuff up so it's easier to blow it out.

Get better soon, okay?

Comment

Where do I find elderberry, and what is it?? I'm confuzzled on that, freely admit it. I'm about to make a concoction of lemon juice, honey and ginger. According to a natural remedies book, I've read, that's supposed to be good and cleansing for colds and coughs.

Comment

Some doctors have been so overloaded with actual drug seekers that it's a knee jerk reaction for them.
                  I'd ask for a change in PCP, and if a reason is requested tell the office that your doctor doesn't trust you to be truthful.

Comment

This was a walk in clinic, Redbeard. I'm unemployed, and have no insurance. So, it was basically, whichever doc was on duty at the time. But probably will try another clinic, next time. Can't afford a second visit, so am fighting this with all OTC stuff and any natural remedy I can find that looks feasible and safe.

Comment

Ginger is good, I also like peppermint tea with a butt-load of honey. These are the shower thingys, I love them.

Euclyptus is good, if you get the oil try putting a drop beneath each nostril.

If it's below about 50 I wear a scarf over my nose and mouth, I used to hate it until I found the right scarf. It's a nice soft wool, thing enough that I don't feel like I'm suffocating, but thick enough to retain some heat.

Old-timey cough remedies are usually hot water, honey, and booze, but I feel like alcohol interferes with my breathing so I don't drink much.

Do you have a humidifer? That really helps with my cold-stuff (and breathing stuff in general). You can usually get one for less than 20 bucks at a CVS or wherever.

Alternatively, air purifiers also help me, but I can't run mine at the same time as my humidifier, because it dries out the air so much, and I prefer my humidifier in winter.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Another one that's good AND has Elderberry in it, are the Nyal cold and flu tablets. They have elderberry, horseradish and aspirin and they work wonders.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

OH!! I HAVE seen/used those before. I can just never find them anymore, not in any store I've searched. Makes me quite sad. A friend gave me a bottle of eucalpytus oil, and told me to put a few drops in the corners of the bathtub, and it's roughly the same effect when the steam hits it. Will have to try that, and see how it works.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                            OH!! I HAVE seen/used those before. I can just never find them anymore, not in any store I've searched. Makes me quite sad. A friend gave me a bottle of eucalpytus oil, and told me to put a few drops in the corners of the bathtub, and it's roughly the same effect when the steam hits it. Will have to try that, and see how it works.
                            I found them in the supermarkets. They're non-drowsy and usually they work alright...not "Yay let's go and have an orgy" more "Let's go and cuddle up and watch a movie together"
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I used to be on Reglan for gastroparesis. Only problem was, I'd gotten upped to 4 pills a day and it still wasn't really helping.
                              "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                              "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                              Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                                Alternately, make a mini steamer out of a bowl of hot water & a towel
                                Put hot steamy water in a wide necked bowl/pan, add a little eucalyptus/olbas oil if liked or just keep it as plain steam.
                                Carefully lean your head over the bowl and drape a large towel over your head to trap the steam.

Works wonders on the skin too

I was very stuffed up before Christmas plus had a spell of labrynthitis to go with it so a steam bath wasn't an option for me.. so I dug out a very old t-shirt & wore it with the front well covered with olbas oil. Made me blink a bit but it was effective
                                Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Working...
                                X