This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
    Over the counter pain relievers (Tylenol, aspirin, Motrin, all of 'em) will reduce your fever and help with the chills/sweats. Pick your favorite and follow the directions on the box (seriously, please don't overdose).
    Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is found in prescription pain relievers and a lot of over the counter cold remedies and ibuprofen is in some over the counter cold remedies. If you're taking any of these medications, read the label and treat your fever with a medication that is not in your NyQuil. It is very easy to accidentally overdose on Tylenol by taking multiple medications (since you're thinking SO clearly when you're sick, right? ). Then you end up in the hospital, drinking a medication that smells like rotten eggs.
    Don't give aspirin to kids and avoid Tylenol if you're a heavy drinker.

Of course, I am not a doctor and you need to see one if you aren't feeling better soon or if over the counter stuff doesn't work.
    Thanks I have ibuprofen in the house. I have been taking pseudoephedrine so far. I dislike having to take a combination of meds strictly for the reason you stated. My cough is productive so far, not warranting a suppressant yet. Crossing fingers - haven't lost my voice yet either!

Comment

sms001- for sore abs and diaphram, I use a Therma-care back wrap over my tummy

lupo- Have you tried cinnamon or cinnamon/clove tea? The cinnamon helps support and boost your immune system and the clove can help sooth the throat. Add some honey and you're good to go.

ME!

Comment

This month I got my worst cold in years. I was ready to rip out my throat it hurt so much. Then I remembered my hubs best idea. As someone mentioned, honey and lemon in hot tea. I drank it non-stop until the throat was better. And I took OTC sleep and cough meds to make it through the night.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          That's nothing. One of the most commonly prescribed narcotics used to be Darvocet (proproxypene and apap). The base acetaminophen dose in ONE capsule wasss 650mg.
          For those who don't know:

APAP == Acetaminophen == Tylenol == Paracetemol == Panadol.

(Yes: so many names for the same drug. Add to that the fact that it's in a lot of cold & flu medications....)

(.... and that an overdose can destroy your liver ....)
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            For those who don't know:

APAP == Acetaminophen == Tylenol == Paracetemol == Panadol.

(Yes: so many names for the same drug. Add to that the fact that it's in a lot of cold & flu medications....)

(.... and that an overdose can destroy your liver ....)
            Depends on your country . I've only heard Tylenol in the US and Panadol down here.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Depends on your country . I've only heard Tylenol in the US and Panadol down here.
              Acetaminophen and Tylenol I've only heard when I've been in the states. Panadol as a brand name but usually referred to as Paracetamol in the UK. Products with Paracetamol in have warnings on the box refering to it as such too, rather than a brand name for the drug and are limited in amount sold (32 I think, usually in boxes of 16).
              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                Acetaminophen and Tylenol I've only heard when I've been in the states. Panadol as a brand name but usually referred to as Paracetamol in the UK. Products with Paracetamol in have warnings on the box refering to it as such too, rather than a brand name for the drug and are limited in amount sold (32 I think, usually in boxes of 16).
                Down here they come in boxes of 12 or 24.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  Down here they come in boxes of 12 or 24.
                  Damn. I believe I can get Tylenol in 500 packs. Well <my store brand> acetaminophen.

(someone commented on one of my post at one point about the difference between buying otc pain meds here in the us vs the UK I believe. I was but I've always been able to buy a lot at a time.)
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Buying OTC meds in bulk is common in the US at warehouse stores. Not only that, but until last year you could buy them with your left over FSA money so you didn't lose it to Uncle Sam. There are people with years worth supplies of lots of otc meds.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                    X