This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ow my foot hurts

Ok I've already been to a dr about this but oh man it's frustrating. I've had a serious pain in my foot in one spot for a couple months now and finally couldn't take the pain anymore. It had also formed a visible lump. So since I had a diabetic checkup scheduled anyway I mention this godawful painful thing on my foot. She feels it for a minute, says it's a ganglion cyst and tells me to wear an ace bandage on my foot every day. End of story.

now the way this thing is situated it doesn't hurt to walk really and it doesn't hurt if I can keep it at a good 45 degree angle. But if I forget and flex my foot in any goddamn direction it hurts like hell and will hurt until I can get my foot settled back down in the 45 degree angle position again.

So I've managed to keep it relatively pain free during the day with the bandage and keeping it at that angle. It hurts like hell when I go to bed though cause I can't avoid having my foot move in different directions, but it eventually settles down and I can sleep.

So has anyone had one of these before? Is this bandage idea really going to help in the long term? It's been almost a week with the bandage and it's already getting old. I just want this thing gone
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

They thought that the Oldest Daughter had one on her hand which turned out to be a benign tumor on her tendon that had to be surgically removed. Have they sugested drawing the fluid ftom the cyct?

Comment

Nope. She just said do the ace bandage and if it doesn't improve she'll do an xray I have read on my own that one treatment option is drawing out the fluid. Another is removal. I'm about to vote for removal cause this thing is killing me with pain now that I'm at work again. I can't find a comfortable way to sit and keep my foot at that 45 degree angle.

Comment

This is a little out of my field. I suspect the ace wrap will help reduce friction or stabilize it in some way. If the ace isn't working you could try mole foam but I suspect the cyst is too large for that to work.

Follow up with your doc; if it's that bad removing the fluid is probably what will have to be done.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          This is a little out of my field. I suspect the ace wrap will help reduce friction or stabilize it in some way. If the ace isn't working you could try mole foam but I suspect the cyst is too large for that to work.

Follow up with your doc; if it's that bad removing the fluid is probably what will have to be done.
          It does seem to stabilize it....and again as long as I keep my foot in one position it's good. And I gotta ask what the heck is mole foam?

If this doesn't get better in a couple of weeks or so I will see if she will just remove the fluid....how expensive can that be

I do have insurance but always have that 20 percent left of whatever anything costs to pay up. So I would rather avoid the cost of surgery if I can. Not to mention the recovery.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            And I gotta ask what the heck is mole foam?
            A foam-like bandage you can probably find in the foot care section of a store, that can be inserted in a shoe to cushion painful feet or eliminate rubbing.
            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've had these multiple times on my foot, and I sympathize. It is horrible when you are relatively comfortable and then shift even a minor amount. Sleep was especially difficult. I found that a Plantar Fasciitis support worked pretty well for keeping my foot in the right position at night. Still had some wake ups, but not nearly as many.

Comment

Moleskin and Molefoam are two products (Scholls makes them) that are used to reduce friction for foot sores, blisters, warts and the like. I use them when backpacking, especially if breaking in a new pair of boots, to prevent blisters.

Both products come in sheets. Moleskin (the original product) is thin, sticky on one side, flannel like soft on the other. You cut the sheet to fit the affected area. If you have an open area, you cut a hole to fit so it remains exposed.

It reduces friction on the sore spot so you can wear your shoes. I'd put it on areas of my feet where I know I have problems (the heels, and the base of my great toe) to prevent blisters from starting. Works great.

Molefoam is thicker, made of foam, used the same way. Great for warts and corns. But if it pokes up too high through the hole, it won't work.

However, you COULD try putting moleskin over the cyst, and a ring of mold foam around it, as long as the skin isn't actually broken. That might reduce friction. If the ace stablizes it, you could even put that over everything else and see if that helps.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The skin isn't broken and the main issue is to keep my foot from shifting it's position so it doesn't shift around inside....

I guess my main question at this point is do these things ever go away? or am I wearing an ace bandage till the end of time?

Sigh.

Thanks all

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
                    I've had these multiple times on my foot, and I sympathize. It is horrible when you are relatively comfortable and then shift even a minor amount. Sleep was especially difficult. I found that a Plantar Fasciitis support worked pretty well for keeping my foot in the right position at night. Still had some wake ups, but not nearly as many.
                    Interesting....this is my first one, and you say you've had several I have a plantar facitis (however you spell that!) support for my shoe but that won't work for sleeping. I have tried wearing the ace bandage at night but it irritates my skin and it doesn't help much anyway.

But yeah it's horrible when I forget and shift my foot even a little....once it's in pain I can't put any weight on it until it settles down again. And it hurts until it does settle down.

Annoying!!

Comment

Oldest Daughter's Doctor told her they are also called Bible Thumper Cysts. In the old days, they would literally take a Bible and hit the cyst with it to rupture the cyst to make it go away. He brought in a needle to drain it, but her's was a solid mass, thus the surgery to remove it.

Comment

I get them on my wrists occasionally. Thankfully they usually aren't too painful. I hope you get relief from the pain soon.
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                          Oldest Daughter's Doctor told her they are also called Bible Thumper Cysts. In the old days, they would literally take a Bible and hit the cyst with it to rupture the cyst to make it go away. He brought in a needle to drain it, but her's was a solid mass, thus the surgery to remove it.
                          I read that when I was researching this online....while I'm sorta tempted to do that I'm not going to lol. I'm starting to think this one is too solid for that anyway.

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                          I get them on my wrists occasionally. Thankfully they usually aren't too painful. I hope you get relief from the pain soon.
                          Thanks...me too

Comment

I haven't had one in several years now, so there's that. . The brace I was referring to is one specifically for sleeping, it has straps that attach to keep your foot in a particular position while sleeping.

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
                              I haven't had one in several years now, so there's that. . The brace I was referring to is one specifically for sleeping, it has straps that attach to keep your foot in a particular position while sleeping.
                              oh Yeah? where would I find such a thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X