This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best sleep you ever had with a cold, not so much

I'm in the process of recovering from what appears to be a nasty cold and strep throat (the strep came first, around Sunday and then I got the cold from my dear hubby on Tuesday or Wednesday). I've been to the doctor and am on the mend I just have one problem that is driving me crazy and I hope one of you guys may have a trick that helps. Right now it seems that I have to choose between being stuffed up (which means I have to breath through my mouth and that angers my still kind of raw throat) or dried the heck out (which leaves both my throat and the inside of my nose super sensitive so I end up coughing or sneezing a lot) and I've been having a really difficult time getting the sleep that I know I need. Usually with a cold I would just take some Nyquil and be good but with my throat still recovering from the strep it really, really hurts to the point where I can't fall asleep for a while after even the smallest cough.

I've tried moisturizing the inside of my nose, which helps with the sneezing but not the coughing. I have also been drinking tons of fluids, especially green tea with just a touch of honey which is great while I'm awake but isn't helping with my sleep issues. I've also tried using the otc sleep aid that usually works when I'm having sleep trouble but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Anything you guys can think of that may help?

I had Bronchitis and nasty sinus issues at the same time right around/during Christmas. I took a 12 hour cough medicine to control the cough and some Mucinex DM 12 hour for during the day when I was at work. I used Nyquil's Night-Time Sinus Medicine at night. I was lucky I did not have a sore throat. Have you asked your doctor for a prescription for a cough suppressant that will help you sleep. There is also a baby product called Boogie wipes. One of my co-workers told me to try them when my nose chapped from sneezing. It helped a lot. For the sore throat perhaps you could try some of the throat lozenges that have liquid in the center. Those helped me a lot. I do not have any medical experience or background though. I hope some of the stuff I have used will help you. Also you may want to talk to your Pharmacist sometimes they are really good with giving suggestions for over the counter medicines.

Comment

You should try a small humidifier beside your bed. Even if you have a whole house or other larger humidifier, having the extra humidity near where you sleep can help.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I <3 Vick's Vaporub for that sort of thing. Put some on my chest, throat, and right under the nose, add some cough medicine of choice (I prefer Tylenol cold at this point) and life is good.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Tea has helped for me. Chamomile, Sleepy Time. I once tried catnip tea (apparently it helps with coughing). I do not recommend catnip tea, ha. (at least not by itself)
          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
            I do not recommend catnip tea, ha. (at least not by itself)
            Indeed, no, catnip tea tastes gawdawful. And honey only makes it worse (hard to believe until you try it). However... if you can get past the taste, it really DOES make a wonderful 'time to sleep now' tea. I use a combo of catnip, chamomile and lavender for my insomnia tea.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I vote for taking whatever will dry you out like the Sahara and running a humidifier. I know antihistamines are supposed to be for allergies, but I've taken them for a cold.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Others have already suggested a humidifier and Vicks Vapo Rub, which is what I use in that situation.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The humidifier helped, we have one in the room but I didn't think the placement really mattered much, moving it to my nightstand made a world of difference so thanks for that! I also talked to a pharmacist and she suggested a nasal spray by Vicks (Sinex or something like that), which works wonders without drying me out so I have managed to get some fantastic sleep and am just about all better.

Comment

Halls cough drops are excellent for helping sooth the throat and stopping the need to cough.

Also, a hot toddy w/o the alcohol is good for the throat (during waking hours). Basically hot water with lemon and honey. I like to add a little fresh grated ginger to mine.

Also, try to sleep propped up. It will really help keep everything draining and helps reduce that urge to cough.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                    X