This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol, wut?

Joint Commission is coming through the system. Which is always loads of fun. Thankfully, I haven't had to work during this time, but I have gotten the reports. Sometimes I wonder about these people. Among the list of "improvements" are:

--No more Nitrile gloves as part of a "good stewardship" effort. WTF is wrong with the Nitrile gloves?! I actually like those kind because I can actually feel what I'm doing. The vinyl kind they're buying now suck really bad. Can't feel a darn thing with them.

--This is the one that made me go bwuh? Sheets should not go on a stretcher/imaging table before the patient gets in the room. We want our patients to feel comfortable and knowing the sheet is clean is part of that process. Therefore, the patient should see us pull a clean sheet out of the cabinet and place it on the table.
    SERIOUSLY?!

When my department is slammed and I'm rotating several patients at once, there is no freaking way I'm going to make a patient stand there while I get them a clean sheet (I'm especially not doing it if it's going to make my cardiologist wait. They get titchy). What's going to happen is I'm gonna be waving goodbye to one patient while throwing a clean sheet on the table before running out to get the next one.

This is why I hate Joint Commission mandates. Just like every other corporate moron, they have no idea what their underlings do on a daily basis. Granted, Joint Commission is responsible for a lot of patient safety. But the other half of their stuff is stupid.
    Last edited by jedimaster91; 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
    Joint Commission is coming...
    Paging Doctor Cheech and Doctor Chong.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh god, don't get me started on Joint Commission.

They come up with a few good ideas every now and then, like using zeroes before decimal points to clarify numbers less than a whole number. Then they go overboard, and have eliminated just about every commonly used medical short hand.

The sheets issue is a customer satisfaction issue, not a patient safety issue.

I'm over the nitrile gloves. What's their beef with those? They are hypoallergenic, colorful, tough (latex gloves tear really easily, especially the cheap ones), and easier to put on and remove than vinyl gloves.

I swear, the crap these guys come up with . . . it's like they have to find new reasons to justify having a job every year
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        What's their beef with those? They are hypoallergenic, colorful, tough (latex gloves tear really easily, especially the cheap ones), and easier to put on and remove than vinyl gloves.
        and usually more expensive.....
        Just did a search(same brand, same count 100 gloves/box, 10 boxes/case)
        Latex gloves -$7.33/box $68.17/case
        Nitrile gloves - $7.34/box $67.80/case
        Vinyl gloves - $4.44/box $40.07/case

that's likely their "problem"....
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

Nitrile gloves have some advantages from an infection control perspective, as well as functional ones. There is a reason why surgeons do not use vinyl gloves in the OR.

Cheap does not necessarily mean better.

But again, issues of cost effectiveness are something that should be addressed at the facility level, not imposed by JCAHO.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time the org has gone with cheapest = better idea before. A couple years ago they stocked what had to be 1/2 ply toilet paper. The stuff was awful. But after the doctors started complaining, they got us better TP. So maybe if we can get enough of the docs to complain.....
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

The Joint Commission (theoretically) is only worried about safety issues. Cost is not their problem.

Comment

Working...
              X