This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only the first week . . . .

and I have had to put out more fires than I have ever had to deal with at the start of the semester.

I can't go into a lot of detail, but man I need to vent.

First there was the student with a serious injury who wanted to go to clinic using an assistive device because she can't walk. Lacking an actual policy from the hospital prohibiting this, we were actually going to have to let her. Fortunately, the student really understood why this was a bad idea; she just wanted so desperately to stay in class (don't blame her--she's a good student and so close to graduating).

--------

Then there's the issue with one of our clinic sites. The hospital where I do ALL my clinicals (don't like the other hospital in town much) fired all their nurse educators a couple of years ago to save money. Their staff education department is run by non-nurses. They fired their liaison with us (for good reasons apparently) but the replacement is an admin assistant who is just overwhelmed and constantly being audited on account of her predecessor.

She wanted a very complex set of documents from us on each student, including some that had to be filled out by the students. We get this list over the Christmas break, when NO ONE is on campus . . . with the expectation it be done TWO WEEKS before clinic starts. If it's not done, we don't get our computer logins and the students can't chart or give medications.

I give the documents electronically to my students with strict instructions to email them to the liaison by last Tuesday. They do this. They followed the instructions to the letter.

The liaison gets overwhelmed with emails and decides the clinic instructors should have sent everything in by clinic group, even though her written instructions specifically said for the students to do this!

Then she tries to tell me I shouldn't have been in the hospital today because the orientation paperwork my students did wasn't sent by me directly and because she didn't have the health documentation (the program coordinator has sent it 3 times) on my group. I offer to leave. We have a meeting that lasts an hour (an hour I'm unavailable to my students) while she explains her problems but no she's not stressed (her hands were shaking)!

The idea I can't have my students in the hospital over this is just awful. We have a mandatory amount of hours of clinic the students must do per the Board of Nursing. We can't cut it. We can do make up assignments at home (for example when we have inclement weather) . . . but who wants to do 32 hours worth of busy work because some paperwork requirement wasn't met?

I told her I would happily comply with whatever she wanted . . . please tell me what you want. So now I'm spending my evening fixing that problem for next week.

----------

Finally . . . .

We gave a test yesterday. About a third of the class didn't read the directions and failed the test. I get an email from a student asking what her grade would have been if she'd followed the instructions . . . today's my clinic day. I'm not on campus. I don't have access to the test. Even if I wanted to figure it out, I can't.

She responds like a typical EW with a sarcastic, "sorry I asked" nasty gram . . . then accuses me of trying to fail her and the rest of the class on purpose. I sent a polite response telling her email is not the place for the discussion, she can bring up her concerns at test review.

More abuse follows. I get the classic, "I paid good money for this course!" kind of line, and how I'm the disrespectful one . . . . because I don't agree with her world view apparently.

We are so going to have a come to jesus meeting over this on Tuesday

ARGH!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Update: The student of the emails had her come to jesus meeting with me and the Chair today.

She actually had the gall to accuse me and my faculty partners of targeting students in front of the whole class.

Fortunately, the Chair backed me up. She got a bit tight lipped at one point though; I wasn't backing down off this student, and that doesn't compute with her "let's all get along" philosophy.

Then another student has the gall to tell me another faculty member is a "liar" (her words), claiming she was never told she needed to update her health information that was due in November!

She has to bring the information to clinic tomorrow. What she doesn't know is I will be covering her clinic tomorrow. I really hope she brings the information, otherwise I will be sending her home.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Honestly, good on you - stick to your guns. I'm not in your part of the world, but the last thing I want to think about is letting these idiots who can't read instructions and throw hissy fits when they're called on it being passed through the courses and let at real patients with real drugs with VERY real side effects if they're used incorrectly. If you can't be bothered to put effort in and do it correctly, I really don't want you in a position where someone's health is in your hands.

Comment

Can I assume from the lack of update that the information was brought?

Rapscallion

Comment

I hate hearing "I'm paying $xxx.xx, why do I have to ----?!". Because that is the requirement you little whiner. Yes - the nursing student have a business casual dress code and everyone else wears jeans and tees. We were told this even before we took the placement exam - so shut up about it. We chose the program, you are not being "forced" to do anything! You can do things your way - but be prepared for the consequences.

*pant pant*. Uh - sorry, didn't mean to explode.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            Can I assume from the lack of update that the information was brought?

Rapscallion
            It was . . . along with a smug look I wanted to wipe off her face She still has no explanation for the face she was supposed to have gotten this done last semester.

Quoth Lyse View Post
            I hate hearing "I'm paying $xxx.xx, why do I have to ----?!". Because that is the requirement you little whiner. Yes - the nursing student have a business casual dress code and everyone else wears jeans and tees. We were told this even before we took the placement exam - so shut up about it. We chose the program, you are not being "forced" to do anything! You can do things your way - but be prepared for the consequences.

*pant pant*. Uh - sorry, didn't mean to explode.
            Better you explode than I do.

I told the student, "You are not paying me to give you the answers to the test." That had her backing up quick.

Comment

"You are paying me to teach you how to become a good nurse. Part of that is having knowledge and being able to retrieve it at need. Part of that is the ability to follow directions accurately."
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                "You are paying me to teach you how to become a good nurse. Part of that is having knowledge and being able to retrieve it at need. Part of that is the ability to follow directions accurately."
                Which is what I told the class during test review when this student repeated the "I'm paying good money" comment from the emails.

I did have one bright spot. One student came right and and owned her part in failing the test. "I didn't read the directions, and that's my fault." It's really got to sting for her, she got all the math right, and if she had followed the directions and answered the second part of the question, she'd have gotten 100% on it.

Comment

About a third of the class didn't read the directions and failed the test.
                  If they can't follow the directions on a test in class, how are they going to follow directions that someone gives them before administering(sp) drugs to a patient.

Patient A had an allergic reaction to the medication

"Ooops, guess I didn't read the directions. It wasn't my fault. You're targeting me out of all the other nurses blah blah"

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
                    If they can't follow the directions on a test in class, how are they going to follow directions that someone gives them before administering(sp) drugs to a patient.

Patient A had an allergic reaction to the medication

"Ooops, guess I didn't read the directions. It wasn't my fault. You're targeting me out of all the other nurses blah blah"
                    Yeah, that got pointed out to them. They didn't have any answer for it, so they started whining about other perceived issues.

Comment

I had hoped that when I started a degree program for RN there would be less whining than my LPN program. Nope.

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
                        I had hoped that when I started a degree program for RN there would be less whining than my LPN program. Nope.
                        Two of the biggest whiners in my class are two LPNs bridging to RN. Given that they got their LPN at our school, they should have some idea how things are run by now.

The upside is, I've already had a student jump right into a crisis and save a patient's life in clinic.

He hadn't even gotten report (it was the first day), but was helping the staff move a new admit into his room while his nurse was in a contact isolation room. When he pulled back the sheet, the bed was full of blood (patient had had a cardiac catheterization and they'd accessed both femoral arteries). He kept his cool, grabbed a glove, and put enough pressure on the site to control the bleeding, and kept it there while they wheeled the patient back to the OR.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                          The upside is, I've already had a student jump right into a crisis and save a patient's life in clinic.

He hadn't even gotten report (it was the first day), but was helping the staff move a new admit into his room while his nurse was in a contact isolation room. When he pulled back the sheet, the bed was full of blood (patient had had a cardiac catheterization and they'd accessed both femoral arteries). He kept his cool, grabbed a glove, and put enough pressure on the site to control the bleeding, and kept it there while they wheeled the patient back to the OR.
                          Holy cow!

Good on the student for staying calm at a bad moment. That's one hell of a first-day lesson.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                          X