This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So frustrated

My 5 year old has had a cough for almost two months now. I posted beforehand about it, as they thought it might be pneumonia, but it wasn't. Now she still has a very phlegm-y cough, coupled with gasps for air. To make it worse, I've started coughing the same way about two weeks ago, albeit not as frequently.

Two weeks ago we brought her to the doc (not her normal one, who was off for a couple of days), who stated it was just a viral thing, nothing to do for it but let her ride it out to the end. A week later though, it was just WORSE.

Week later, STILL bad, getting worse to boot. So I called up, scheduled an appt with her normal doc. She says she honestly has no idea what it is, and tries to get kidling to cough for her. Being Brilliant Mommy that I am, I'd given her dimetapp an hour before, so nothing. As I'm explaining, I got hit with a fit of coughing, and doc asks if that's the same sound. I said yes, just imagine a gasping in between coughs, and that's her.

She definitely raised an eyebrow at that point.

And says she thinks it might be pertussis, if its the same sound. Oh crud.

Kidling has had vaccines, so if it is, it would've been a mutation, and she tells me that the CDC would have to be notified and get involved, blah blah. I'm like wtf, just floored. I have a 3 year old too. This could get VERY bad.

She schedules a lab pert. test, but prescribes zithromax and a hydrocodone syrup for the cough. Holy snap.

Well, there was an incident after that with the test results.

Nurse who took the swab told me 24 hours for the test, which turned out to NOT be true. Bleh. I'm in zombie mode, freakout mode, just about every neurotic thing a mommy can do.

Day two rolls around, and I call the hospital to find out results. Oh, we can't give them to you. I'm her mother, yes you can. No, you have to sign a special release form for this. Call her doctor, she's the only one who can tell you.

I call doc, who, SURPRISE, has taken today off. Ok, anyone have her pager? Ohhhh wow, its not on file. Anyone know it? The only nurse who knows it....also on vacation. I was told though, that if I called the on-call physician after the office closed, he "might be nice enough to look those up for you."

Might? Be nice?

&*#$@$

I call hospital again, explain, they stand firm. But, the tech tells me they'll at least look up the results. And turns out its not finished STILL. AAAAGH.

I call later on in the day, and finally, RESULTS ARE IN. I call doc office, and on-call doc DOES NOT RESPOND.

Oh seriously, eff this.

So we go to the hospital, sign the release form, and find out YAY its negative. FINALLY.

But now, that leaves, wtf is this?

Doc and I talked today (I restrained myself from raging about the lab results debacle), and they at a total loss. She's putting her back on prednizone, to be coupled with the hydrocodone still (?!?!?!).

We also got chest xrays done today, poor kid was scared at first, but I told her to be "brave, like Dovahkiin!" and she poofed out her chest and behaved like a doll. XD

I just wish we knew what this was, I'm so tired of this, and I'm honestly terrified about the med bills. ><
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

I had a very phlegmy cough for four weeks. It was right after my flight home from vegas. It tore me a new one... I went in to only get told that something mutated is going around the state and spreading. Mine finally started to abate with a mixture of anti-phlegm stuff and anti-inflamitory stuff. I constant was stuck blowing my nose and spitting out stuff but at least the pain was gone.

Even now I'll have short bursts of it. I recommend the aloe tissues.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
      We also got chest xrays done today, poor kid was scared at first, but I told her to be "brave, like Dovahkiin!" and she poofed out her chest and behaved like a doll. XD
      Poor kid. Poor you.

But this..is awesome.

ETA: Maybe she needs some Fus-Ro-bitussin.

Comment

Prednisone and hydrocodone for a kid? Well, I guess dosing matters. I'm sorry for all this, and the med bills. But maybe they can make you a payment plan. I have $500 worth, and still need treatment (well 90% sure I do). So glad it's not pertussis! But still.... Well, I can pray for you and your little one.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Great. Clementine (and I) are going through something similar! She has it worse than I do. No strep. No ear infection. Just a cough & stuffy nose. I have to keep an eye on her, but was told it was viral. Also told to give her Emergen-C or other forms of Vitamin C. Plus get her to blow her nose a lot. Her lungs are fine. (Fortunately she had a coughing fit at the office). I'm hoping it's just some viral cold mixed with allergies.

Hope y'all are felling better Seraph!
          And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            Prednisone and hydrocodone for a kid? Well, I guess dosing matters. I'm sorry for all this, and the med bills. But maybe they can make you a payment plan. I have $500 worth, and still need treatment (well 90% sure I do). So glad it's not pertussis! But still.... Well, I can pray for you and your little one.
            I'm glad it's not pertussis as well. Hard to say what it is. Have they tested her for RSV? It's a bit late, but it can show up at any time of year.

Hydrocodone syrup is great for soothing coughs.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well, chest xrays are back, definitely no pneumonia, but signs of bronchitis abound. And doc also thinks now that it may be childhood asthma. O_o I don't get that, because the kidling like to RUN. And I mean, she'll run for a couple of hours, and practically barely be winded. Never, ever have I seen her run and then be wheezing or gasping. The cough just presents itself at weird times, is all.

Waiting on her to call back though, she had a patient to go to.

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
              ETA: Maybe she needs some Fus-Ro-bitussin.
              I should tell her that, the next time. <.<

Quoth Panacea View Post
              Have they tested her for RSV?
              I'll find out.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                And doc also thinks now that it may be childhood asthma. O_o I don't get that, because the kidling like to RUN.
                Asthma isn't necessarily induced by exercise. Mine is mostly triggered by cold weather, or any sickness with lung involvement. Or bad allergies.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Might look at allergy testing too. Both my fiance and i get the nasties when pollen and mold are high. Mine shows up as sinus crud and hers is coughs, lots of coughing. just my two cents.
                  To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Ok, so just got off the phone, and straightened some things out from what was relayed by my husband earlier. Heh.

So she DOESN'T think its asthma. /facepalm/ She thinks its just aggravated bronchitis, and she's mainly worried about the fact she spotted a thickening of the bronchial tubes. She mentioned possibly using a nebulizer or an inhaler to give her the meds for such a thing (which is why my husband went SHE THINKS ITS ASTHMA!!!).

Either way though, I told her that last night was the first night kidling slept soundly, with no coughing, and she was thrilled. She wants to hold off on the neb/inhaler treatments now, and wait until next week and see how things are.

She says they also did test for RSV (I don't know when, I honestly am not surprised I missed that), and that it was negative, but that she was doubtful on that anyways since kidling didn't manifest a fever at all this round.

So, guess we get to wait a week now, and see how things go. Although the prednisone is making her bounce off the frakkin walls, its just good to not hear her hacking up a lung. -.-

Comment

SO glad it's not a mutation of pertussis. That would have been bad.

Though yeah, the question is 'so what is it?'

Good luck.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Good luck with all this. My daughter had RSV when she was 5 months old and that was pretty scarey. But it got diagnosed right away. And I've heard that older kids don't generally get that.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Prednisone is seriously, seriously kicking this thing's butt, so its most likely that she did just have bronchitis. Thank goodness. She's barely even coughing anymore already, and even those are obviously weaker.

WOOOOO!

Comment

Yay!

The dovah shall yet be slain!

(Making time for the bigger battles, like those against feral sticks. )
                            Last edited by Lachrymose; 04-10-2012, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Are you feeling better, Seraph? You reckoned you had the same thing - has it gone or are you on something for it as well?
                              I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Working...
                              X