Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see misspelled signs all over our store and it irks me.
    "Coloinal Hardwood Flooring"
    "X% off all Door's and Window's"

We have a computer program that works through Adobe Reader and there are preprinted templates. All we have to do is click and edit to what we want.

How friggin' hard is it to proofread?

I want to go and redo them, but I don't have time, and I would be overstepping.

Seriously, it's a place of business...a professional setting.

A customer is really going to wonder at how knowledgeable the staff is if they can't even spell what they are selling.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

At work a while back I saw a small handwritten sign that said "Lint Cathers". No lie. A while (meaning days or weeks) later, the "cathers" was crossed out, replaced by the proper word. A few days after that, someone decided it was tacky or something and just took the whole sign down.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The main road in my city is plastered with those neon roadside signs promoting whatever. I think most days at least a third of them have spelling errors on them.

Comment

Darn Apostrophe

A few years ago I was at a craft fair with my Mom. A woman had a lot of pottery mugs for sale. She had them printed his and her's.

I so wanted to inform her of her error, but my Mom told me to keep it to myself! Spoilsport.
          It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

I love signs like that...the other day I was in Costco and went to the bathroom. There was a sign on a stall that said "Out of oder". Trust me, that bathroom was not out of "oder".
            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

My degree is in English, and I take proper grammar seriously! I cannot stand incorrect apostrophe usage.

Comment

Whats' youre problem with incorrect apostrophe usage? Its not like people misuse apostrophe's on a regular basi's.

Comment

They do. Honestly, they do.

Down my local pub is a JD beer mat with the following legend written accross it:

You're friends at Jack Daniels want you to drink responsibly.

Honestly, it really pisses me off. -___-
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Eats shoots and leaves

Your so rite bout grammer.I definately hate it when peoples can't not spell .
                    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

My two favorites:

When you're coming in to Las Cruces, NM from the west, you cross the Rio Grande. The sign there for years said, "Rio Grande River". Really? Big River River? Oy, I hope they've changed it. (Having not had a burning desire to go to Deming for some years, I don't know.)

My street is Calle Cuervo. In English, that's Crow Road. However, for some unknown reason, it's listed in the phonebook as Calle Cuervo Street. So that's Crow Road Street!

Signs just make me want to !
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

You know, I thought that very few people would have the problem of poorly parsed and/or poorly spelled signs, etc. because most of you live in English-speaking countries. Apparently, I was wrong. The only advantage I have when I see badly-phrased signs is I can tell the nearest staff person what it should say- and they're HAPPY to have their English corrected. Unfortunately, a lot of the time the English is so bad I'm not sure what is being said. That makes it very hard to correct.
                        Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Worst case scenario, for pedantic me, was in a cafe.

The toilet for men said GENTS. Fine, it is usual to not bother with an apostrophe, BUT:

The toilet for women said LADIE'S. Aaaagh!

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                            I love signs like that...the other day I was in Costco and went to the bathroom. There was a sign on a stall that said "Out of oder". Trust me, that bathroom was not out of "oder".
                            Bonus points if that was handwritten!

Quoth Jpurple View Post
                            You know, I thought that very few people would have the problem of poorly parsed and/or poorly spelled signs, etc. because most of you live in English-speaking countries. Apparently, I was wrong. The only advantage I have when I see badly-phrased signs is I can tell the nearest staff person what it should say- and they're HAPPY to have their English corrected. Unfortunately, a lot of the time the English is so bad I'm not sure what is being said. That makes it very hard to correct.
                            I often have the feeling that if I do point out the errors, the responsible people will either ignore me, blow sunshine up my kilt, or become offended (or all three). There was a sign at the local Subway that, for months, said "Check's no longer accepted," and I wanted to say something every time but realized it was futile.

I also have to mention that, along with apostrophes being out of place, there is the usage of 'their,' 'there,' and 'they're.' Those are butchered right along with 'your,' 'you're' and the ever annoying 'ur' which is a place in Mesopotamia, as I recall. I'm just waiting for Verizon to publish "Save 20% off ur next bill!"
                            Last edited by Kilamon; 04-20-2007, 08:23 PM.
                            Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

You should see the Japanese take a crack at it.
                              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I've been seeing a lot more people getting loose and lose mixed up.

The word "loose" rhymes with goose. It means to set something free or release it: loose the hounds, come loose at the seams.

The word "lose" rhymes with booze. It means the opposite of gaining or winning or to misplace something: lose your job, lose business, lose a game, lose your glasses.

It's hard for me because I "hear" the word in my head when I read it. Hearing a word which rhymes with goose when the writer meant the word that rhymes with booze kind of mentally jars me.

I have to view it as something I'm just going to have to learn to ignore. It's not going to change.
                                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X