This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault and Batteries?

This is two stories that I'm lumping together. They are sorta related in that they occured at a Wal-Mart store, and they involve young people being total asshats.

1.) TODAY: A lady heads back to the sporting goods ailse to purchase one of those new pellet guns for her son. They're clear and look really funky at a glance, but apparently they shoot rather good.

Junior is given his first gun, which he can't wait to have fun with. The mother sends him outside to wait on her while she gets her nails done; leaving the little precious to his own devices.

Not long after this, Precious decides to play with his new gun, opens the packaging, loads it, and then starts shooting at random parked cars. When that stops being fun, he goes for a moving target. No, he didn't shoot another car. This kid shot an old lady that was in a wheelchair.

Big mistake that. Someone had witnessed the incident and took off after Precious, nearly tackling the boy to the ground. Precious soon finds that he's got some nice heavy bracelets on his hands. In short, a cop had witnessed the incident.

You know that mother had the gall to say "Ah, it's just a toy." to the officer? I suspect, Precious is going to have a bad week, since the officer didn't look amused and I overheard that the lady was pressing charges.

2.) Batteries...battery, Ah heck. Beat the snot out of em...(months ago)

Teenagers, when bored and left to their own devices, will very often find themselves asking the question "Should I, or shouldn't I?" IN every case, the answer should be "I shouldn't" but that doesn't stop some from doing it anyway.

Case in point, two boys decide to have a battery fight (throwing the heavy C cells at each other) in the middle of the store when no one is looking. The authority figure (father) even gets in on the act at one point. This goes over well enough, and when their family starts to leave they do too. They are met at the door by police and Wal-Mart loss prevention.

Bit of advice here:

When faced with a burly police officer and a Wal-Mart associate who is telling you to come with them so they can "talk" to you, don't answer your cell phone and bitch about how they're harrassing you. This is not only a bad idea, but in some countries, grounds to beat you to a pulp.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

How old was this kid with the pellet gun? Did the lady get hurt at all? If I were her and I was hurt, I'd definitely press charges. If I wasn't hurt, I'd let the cop haul him and mother of the year away, anyway, and drop it later. Just to teach them a little lesson.

Are there any age restrictions on pellet guns?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

nowadays cops err on the side of caution when it comes to toy guns that LOOK LIKE the real thing. Back when I was a kid, toy guns looked like toys. BUT my goodness how times have changed! Toy guns that look more real than the real thing & cops can't afford to stand there & think about if the gun that's being pointed at them or being pointed at somebody or something that may or may not be real. The gist is.."shoot first & ask questions later".
      So if from a distance you saw somebody carry a gun, how could you tell if it was real or not? & even pellet guns, if fired from a certain distance can inflict serious injury.
      So the cop in this instance did the right thing.

Comment

The title of this thread made me giggle. OT, but Repsac, your icon scares the living daylights outta me. I used to cover my eyes when those Great America comercials came on tv.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Little story of my own about how looks can be deceiving.....

My little brother had several cap guns as a child. Those little toy guns with the loaded pieces of paper that you loaded in and they'd go "pow" really loud when you pulled the trigger, ya know?

He was playing in the backyard with it when he was about 10 and I was 13. We had some real hippie neighbors, and I mean, real hippies. The phone rang inside and I answered. The lady next door told me that she had just phoned the police, and I better take that pistol away from that little boy before he shot himself in the face. I laughed, told her to f*ck off, and hung up on her.

Of course, the police showed up. My parents were baffled. I told them about the phone call from the neighbor. The police said they'd gotten an "anonymous" call from someone worried about a little boy playing with a loaded pistol. We showed the police the cap gun, a very common POPULAR toy at that time. Then I told the police myself about the lady next door calling me, so, hows that for anonymous.

The police shook their heads and left. All they could suggest was my little brother not play with the capgun outdoors or if he knew the neighbors were watching, what with it being a "loaded pistol" and all.....

Idiot busybodies.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

You know the mother in the first story never explained the difference between right and wrong to her child. Nor did she teach him that guns are dangerous. I feel bad for the little guy (I assume he is between 7 and 10). I come from a family of military and law enforcement. I have been playing with BB guns since I was 7 or so. Before Dad let me play with it for the first time, he took weeks showing me the proper way to handle a gun. I hope that lady is ok, and I hope the mother gets charged with more than the child. You NEVER give a firearm (BB/pellet gun, water gun etc) to a child and say "go have fun."

Comment

"It's just a toy"????

A kid going around shooting people with a gun (?) Uh mother, your lucky your kid's still alive! The cop watching it unfold probably could have shot him DEAD just like any other person going around with a GUN shooting people!

Comment

I'll echo the sentiment of

A pellet gun can be just as deadly as any other firearm, because they can get those pellets going at a pretty good clip. What the hell was that lady thinking? Probably another classic case of someone with momentary illiteracy, as every air rifle/pistol in existence has a similar warning right on the box in big bold print: WARNING! This air powered rifle/pistol can fire pellets at high velocity. Do not aim at people, pets, vehicles, or other property as injury, death or damage to property can result.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

I had a cat who was killed by a kid with a pellet gun. He had the gun deliberately to get rid of pests, although I don't know if he was planning to kill or just wound/scare them.

Yes, all of our subsequent cats have been indoor-only.

Comment

The actor Jon Erik-Hexum was killed by a pistol that fired blanks. That's right, he was killed when what amounts to a wad of paper shattered his skull at the temple (this was, what, about 20 years ago, I think).

This broad has no business buying this kid so much as a water pistol if she's not going to teach him about guns and appropriate use thereof.

And injury or no, I would NOT drop the charges. The kid dosn't need another person teaching him that his offense is not serious. He needs to learn it from somewhere.
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 04-11-2007, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Many years ago, some punks late one night decided they'd have some fun. They drove down my street shooting a pellet gun at EVERY SINGLE CAR WINDOW along the street. The street was a mile long. Don't tell me they don't do damage. (Fortunately, I only had to replace the two side door windows. And I found good quality ones at a junk yard.)

A couple of months ago, I caught the friend of the neighbor's kids looking over the fence into my backyard and pointing a pellet pistol at my cat. (I didn't know it was a pellet gun at the time, it looked just like a regular semi-automatic handgun.) I scared the heck out of him when I opened up my back door and yelled at him, "You shoot my cat, I shoot YOU!" (My gun fires real bullets, but it hasn't been fired in 15 years. I'd need to give it one heck of a good cleaning before I'd even dare to fire it.)

Why do people think that, since it's only a PELLET gun that it isn't dangerous?
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        And injury or no, I would NOT drop the charges. The kid dosn't need another person teaching him that his offense is not serious. He needs to learn it from somewhere.
                        And how. I had a brother whose wrist was slapped by the legal system so many times people were wondering who would learn first... my brother or the system.

It ended up being the legal system, but only after he did something meriting more a long stay.

Comment

When i first saw the title of this thread I thought of an annoying coworker who calls assault and battery "Salted Batteries".

And I hate it when people call air guns toys or fake guns. They are not toys, they're weapons, treat them like it. I've long since lost count of how many rats and pigeons I've taken out with BBs with a so-called "toy".
                          "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                            "It's just a toy"????

A kid going around shooting people with a gun (?) Uh mother, your lucky your kid's still alive! The cop watching it unfold probably could have shot him DEAD just like any other person going around with a GUN shooting people!
                            I highly doubt any sane cop is going to shoot a child.

Comment

I shoot plastic BBs at my friends all the time.

Viva la Airsoft

Comment

Working...
                              X