Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Happiest Place On Earth (warning: Nature red of claw and tooth and whatnot.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love going to the zoo so I often get to see stuff that kids ask awkward questions about. Bonobos are great for that!

My mom didn't believe me until I told her to ask my sister what she remembered about when we went to the zoo some 7 or 8 years ago. "The kangaroos were doing it." (Note that were both in our 20s at the time!)

This past summer, our oldest zoo residents (tortoises) were trying to get it on, or at least the male was. Cue lots of groaning and moaning and grunting while he tried to get in position.

And the best was when our male elephant was having some fun times with the ladies. Willie has a big.....you know. When one of the kids started counting "legs" I was outta there because I wasn't going to be answering any questions. (I wasn't actually with the kids, just there at the same time.)

Hey, it's nature!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post

THAT little bit of hedging has got my curiosity up....

I've had to coax a boa myself. Makes ya kind of frustrated, really. And not my snake, to top it off.
      Well, when you do a permanent change of duty station in the US, if you can stuff it into the shipping container or cram it in your car, it goes. When you rotate overseas you are constrained by the laws of the land you are headed over to - IIRC you can't even take a dog or cat with you to some duty stations [only thing going is military working animals and handicapped assistance animals] - it is a rabies and other animal vectored disease control issue. Countries that will allow dogs and cats will frequently not allow birds, reptiles or fish, and some countries the poor cat or dog has to sit in quarantine for 6 months [Australia, as it happens. The 6 month in a cage is why our roomie Sandra left Jezabel with us when she emigrated as she thought being shoved in a cage for 6 months was intolerably cruel to the poor girl.]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post

And the best was when our male elephant was having some fun times with the ladies. Willie has a big.....you know. When one of the kids started counting "legs" I was outta there because I wasn't going to be answering any questions. (I wasn't actually with the kids, just there at the same time.)

Hey, it's nature!
        Reminds me of a bit from Fred Wedlock...

Family at the zoo...
        "Mum, what's that thing hangin' down between that elephant's legs?"
        "Er, it's nothing, Harry. Oh look at those flamingoes..."
        So Harry goes and asks his dad. "Hey dad, what's that thing between the elephant's legs?"
        Dad says "That's 'is willy, Harry."
        "Our mam says it was nothin'!"
        "Well she's been spoilt, en't she?"

XD
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Reminded of this:

Comment

When I went to Disneyland in 2010, I saw some ducks chasing ach other... and trying to drown another in the Storybook Land canal boats.

Somewhat related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPbNIGi1zQ This was a sightings of people in Disneyland.
            Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              The 6 month in a cage is why our roomie Sandra left Jezabel with us when she emigrated as she thought being shoved in a cage for 6 months was intolerably cruel to the poor girl.]
              This is why we left my cat with my uncle while we were in Iceland. At least with my uncle, he got the freedom to roam and lots of pettings. Plus, we didn't want to risk the cat's health and/or life on a rotater flight.

When you live near a farm, you learn to just answer the kids' questions honestly. "They're making baby goats, kiddo," was the answer I gave my oldest when he asked. He was five at the time. I'm not gonna lie to the youngster, because that usually bites a person in the butt when they repeat what they saw and heard to their friends.

At 12, he just shrugs and moves on when he sees something like that. In his mind, it's a natural thing, but with his baby brother (17 months old) he's learned it's not something he's interested in. In his words, "Too much work afterwards."
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                It looks like he's trying to jump over her, but he can't quite make it. Come on boy, you can do it!
                Tortoises are not very discriminating in their choice of partners. (NSFW)

Comment

Working...
                X