This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't hold that conversation in front of customers

A while back, I was at Publix checking out. This cashier was so rude she never even said "hello" to me or anything. She never even said the amount that was due to me, just pointed to the register with the total. However, she and her buddy cashier next to her, were chatting as if I and nobody else was around. The cashier next to us was saying, "I wanted to kill him for that. He called my daughter at 3am and told her how much he wanted to fuck her!" Now, speechless, I just glared at the two of them, wondering how their manager would approve of such language like this, particulary in front of the customers. Yet, no matter what look I gave the two of them, they continued talking to each other as if I was not there. Thankfully, she gave me the correct change.

I was not sure how to handle something like this. I normally do not resort to complaining about someone, unless it was really called for, and only if it was something that affected me personally. I'm sure sooner or later some customer out there said something being that a few times after this incident, I never saw these cashiers there again.

Speaking as a cashier who constantly speaks with coworkers while working (several of whom are friends outside of work) I can't understand how she would deem that topic acceptable for work.
    I mean sure, sometimes the cashiers at my work slip and let out topics or words that are not acceptable, but to be totally unaware of who is around you is just ridiculous.

Comment

Personally, I would've complained to a manager. She ignored you, didn't even tell you the total, and was participating in an inappropriate conversation while on the clock.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I definitely would have complained to a manager, as that is completely inappropriate. I told a story a while back about how I got a cashier at Walgreen's in trouble for making inappropriate remarks over the PA a bit before closing while I was still in the store--I had fun doing it, honestly. *evil grin*
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Yup. I would have abandoned the stuff on the counter and walked out. If I was annoyed enough and had the time I would have also found a manager and complained.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I would have been shocked at the language but one thing I particularly hate is when they just point without saying anything. I'm not even worth talking to?
            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
              I definitely would have complained to a manager, as that is completely inappropriate. I told a story a while back about how I got a cashier at Walgreen's in trouble for making inappropriate remarks over the PA a bit before closing while I was still in the store--I had fun doing it, honestly. *evil grin*
              I got on the tannoy at work yesterday evening.

"This is the voice of the Mysterons. Bring to us the body of Captain Beige. He clashes with nothing."

Rapscallion

Comment

Hmm, the other day I was visiting a friend who works at Blockbuster and we had conversations that had topics that would be inappropriate for a 5 year old but I have an excuse. It was 10:30 at night, we were the only people in the store, and we toned it down if a customer came in. Whenever I visit friends at work I usually keep things on the safe side if customers are around.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Greens, I've worked for Publix for 5 years. I've had and met a lot of managers, and none of them would stand for that. Look at your reciept (towards the bottom) for the name of the cashier, and mention it to them next time you're in there. I'd tell them that you really debated complaining because you didn't want to be a complainer, but you really felt it was in their best interest to know.

Also....don't worry about figuring out who the bagger is. The managers are pretty good about figuring out cohorts if one gets complained about. We know who runs together and hangs out off the clock. The both of them will likely be swiftly and harshly dealt with....likely up to suspension.

Good luck!
                  Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

If I was having a conversation with a coworker and a customer came up, I would either put the conversation on hold or pull the customer into it (depending on the topic and the customer, of course). The only time I would continue a conversation that the customer could not be involved in was if it was about work, and only if it was something 'urgent' like explaining how to do something or whatever. But I still would greet the customer and tell them their total and say have a nice day and all that...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That's just plain rudeness. When I worked retail we would often stand around chatting but would always break off a conversation and focus on the customer.

I bet those cashiers would moan if customers ignored them during the transactions!

Treat others how you like to be treated.
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Working...
                      X