Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can picture in my head exactly how I want my hair to be cut, and I've gone out twice over the past three years to try to get this perfect cut, but they butcher my long hair so bad, instead of taking 2 inches off the longest point, they take 6+. Last gal almost had it above my shoulders! Just looked at her, trying not to cry and said, "If you didn't want to do it, you coulda just said so!" Threw some money at her and ran out of there crying. I like my hair long, I just wanted to shag it up a bit around the face.

I've grown it out and REALLY want to try again, but I don't think I can take another butchering, plus everyone trying to be helpful with the "Oh, it'll grow out dear." comments......
    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

If you walk into a hairdresser, sit down and inform them "I'm bored with my hair, I want something different, go wild" and get something you don't like, toughies for you.

BUT, if you have gone in as zzap, blas and tollbaby (and countless others) with specific requests - only 2 inches off please, I don't want my hair too short etc etc; and they disregard your request, then I don't believe full payment is in order.
      After all, you're not getting what you requested. It's the same as ordering a vegetarian meal in a restaurant, and getting a plate of steak. You'd request a discount at the very least, no?

I normally take a picture with me as a guideline. I've never had an instance where a hairdresser didn't listen to me, but I do know that if that day comes, I will politely point out that what s/he gave me is not what I requested, and if it's possible to redo, they must do it. If not, then I'll only pay half the quoted price.
      Yes, hair grows back, but that doesn't give anyone the right to stuff it up.
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm fat and tomboyish, but I got a damn good haircut this time around. It was from a new hairdresser that a friend recommended for a special occasion, cost a little more than I'm used to, but she was fantastic. I just let her do what she thought would look good, because I knew she knew what she was doing (and my friend who uses her has fabulous hair).

Softspoken is another issue. Be assertive and know what you want when you go to the hairdresser. If other people are going to overrule you, don't take them along. Go get a hairstyle magazine and bookmark several different cuts that you like, and ask your hairdresser which one would be the most flattering.

If you're just out for a trim and not a super-trendy couture style, just go to a cheap chain hairdresser. I've never had one of them try to lord over me like a salon hairdresser might. They're practical and they don't act like they know what's best for me, and they do know how to cut the hair of someone who doesn't look like a model.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
          My mom is the oldest in her group of friends, which they often tease her about.
          My grandmother is among the oldest in her groups of friends, and yes, they pick on her sometimes because of it. Even though Grandma's 90, she doesn't take crap from anyone. Must be where I get it from ...or did I get it from Grandpa ?

Because of her age, her hair is very thin...and will only let certain people work with it. She's been going to the same beauty parlor for nearly 30 years, and they do an excellent job
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Quoth the crotchety old bag: "You are too old for long hair. Old ladies should keep their hair short."
            My MOM had told my I'm too old to have long hair (I started going gray at 18). One of mom's pet peeves is long hair with gray in it. I've NEVER had my hair shorter than shoulder length except once, and I HATE it when it's too short to tie back.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              I started going gray at 18.
              That's actually pretty cool, if you ask me. I like wisps of gray hair on young looking people. I think its neat.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                That's actually pretty cool, if you ask me. I like wisps of gray hair on young looking people. I think its neat.
                it was neat until someone mistook me for 35 when I was 19 *sigh* Now I'm 31 and I can easily pass for 40 *grumble* That being said, I don't give a rat's a$$, and I'll cut my hair IF and WHEN I'm ever good and ready to Mom can stuff it :P
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

My mother also hangs out with a bunch of old bitties as well. So imagine a woman in her early 40s mingling with fossils and artifacts of the Depression era.

Probably why my mother still slaps my hands if I put my elbows on the table, and insists that women with long hair are not "professional".
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Tollbaby, I had my first gray hair at 17! But they were pretty isolated and I didn't actually start going gray all over until I was in my 30's. At first I colored it at home and it was such a pain but it was cheap. Finally, I bit the bullet and started having my hairdresser color it. Then I added some highlights. Then I tried some lowlights. I'm out of control! Actually I just have the gray covered with a color pretty close to my own. I've decided I really like the red lowlights so I mostly get that, and maybe just once or twice a year some gold highlights. I've decided it's worth the money now, especially when my roots start growing in and I see how gray I would be!

Oh and I'm 41 and my curly locks are longer than they have ever been. So far no one's told me I'm too old for it, but I don't care if they do.
                    "Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor." - Philip J. Fry

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      Probably why my mother [...] insists that women with long hair are not "professional".
                      Remember the good old days, when women with short hair were considered "harlots" or "tramps"?

Oh, the times, they are a-changin'.
                      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                        Remember the good old days, when women with short hair were considered "harlots" or "tramps"?

Oh, the times, they are a-changin'.
                        And on that note, I once got called a limp-wristed... well, you can guess the rest of it... by a nasty old geezer (very different from the delightful elderly gentlemen that also came in) when I was working in the B&N Cafe. I was kneeling behind the counter to get a new bottle of syrup... Amaretto I think, or maybe French Vanilla.... anyway...

Apparently the guy just saw the tail and went off on his rant before looking at anything else, because when I stood up and went he got all bug-eyed and walked away. Guess the fact that I had about 10 inches and probably 100 pounds on him made him think twice about me being 'sissy'.

Other than that, I've never had a single complaint about long hair said to my face... though I do suspect I didn't get a job or two I interviewed for because of it. Still, as it was said before... their loss.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

My only regret about my current job in a corporate atmosphere? I can no longer dye my hair all the fun colors I had it in college. I've had my hair bright true red (i.e. the color of a Coke can), neon purple, and bleach blonde with neon pink streaks, and I loved all three. They do put up with my three tattoos and eight piercings (though only 7 are visible, as one is in my belly button), so I consider myself lucky.

And I will probably always have long-ish hair, as I need to be able to pull it into a ponytail, or it will drive me nuts.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth SnapAddict218 View Post
                            the crusty old bat in chair chimed in with her 2 cents "You are too old for long hair. Old ladies should keep their hair short."
                            Don't know why I didn't think about this earlier: Would they seriously say that to Dame Judy Dench? I think her hair looks fabulous! My mom is going to be 64 and she has pretty much the same cut. Come to think of it, I've never seen her with long hair. I've got the same cut, too, but spike it (leftover Billy Idol phase). Really doesn't make sense to grow it out - got lots of hair, but it's so poker straight and babyfine that it can't take any amount of weight.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Somewhat on topic.

My friend J has incredibly long hair. Hair that reaches her lower back and has quite a unique color to it. Mixture of blonde and brown. It looks stunning on her. Recently, she's been thinking of getting it cut (Despite my numerous protests). The other week she attempted to get it cut but the stylist simply told her (politely) that she couldn't cut her hair as it was too nice and that she didn't want to ruin it. Granted it's odd that a stylist said that but she's taking it as a compliment and she's going to let it grow.

As for people who don't shut up on others appearance. I give a glare if a complete stranger makes a comment on the way I look. Especially my hair. That woman sounds like my great-grandmother. She would say the nastiest things to guys or girls with hair that was unsuitable to her tastes.
                              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

See, this was why I loved having odd colored hair. I was still my normal, sweet, overly polite self (holding doors for strangers, saying please and thank you) and I got such a kick out of the looks people gave me.

Also, back on topic, I don't think age matters when it comes to hair length. There are certain people who will always look better with long hair, and certain people who will always look better with short hair.
                                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                                X