This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth myswtghst View Post
    I don't think age matters when it comes to hair length. There are certain people who will always look better with long hair, and certain people who will always look better with short hair.
    I agree. My mother is in her late 40s and has the most wonderful, long hair I've ever seen. It's thick and, athough it has some grey in it, it's gorgious. People tell her how pretty it is all the time. But my biddy grandmother, her mother-in-law, has hinted that she should have it cut several times until my mother told that, under no uncertain term would she get it cut. So now my biddy grandmother has taken to calling her vain about her hair.

Mom doesn't care what that woman thinks, though.

Comment

I don't know what it is with older female relatives and hair length. My grandmother has harped on me for pretty much my entire adult life that I should cut my hair.

Not to brag, but I have really good hair. I have been really, really lucky. It's a nice color, it's thick, it's full of waves and body I don't have to work for. Why the hell would I chop off my hair when I have GOOD HAIR? I can see it if my hair was stringy, damaged, mousy, shapeless, perpetually dirty, whatever. But it's not. I don't get it.

My mother is slightly guilty of this, too.

Both of these women also have good hair. They keep it short, but it's good hair. They aren't jealous of me.

I have always been baffled by this.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
        Granted it's odd that a stylist said that but she's taking it as a compliment and she's going to let it grow.
        Not really, you are a walking advertisement of your stylist. My stylist on several occasions has refused to cut my hair in the new trendy way I thought I liked, because it was trite, and would look ridiculous on me. I will always bow to her wisdom and listen to her of course. The last thing a good stylist wants is a client to run around town looking ridiculous, that is just bad advertising.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          (I started going gray at 18)
          I got my first gray hairs when I was 12-ish. (I'm almost 28 now.) Most of the time it doesn't bother me.
          My hair is naturally reddish-blondish brown, and now I can add silver, gray and the occasional strand of black to the mix.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

Bottom line is these people are jealous. Whether they think you should have short or long hair, they're jealous.

Hell, my 83 year old grandma dyed her hair bright purple. At first I thought it was because she's an old lady that forgot to account for her hair being white when she dyed it, but I found out later from grandma (when I offered to fix it for her) that she did it on PURPOSE!

I still laugh about that. Keep trying to get her to turn it a rosy pink or smurf blue, but she doesn't want to listen to my mom complain.
            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Well, my mom can stuff it where the sun don't shine. My boyfriend (who is 9 years younger than me) and the guy I dated BEFORE him (who is ... 12 years OLDER than me) have both told me that if I cut my hair short, I will be committing a crime, as it's my second-best feature (eyes... EYES dammit! get your minds out of the gutter LOL) Gray or not, the boys love it My natural color is dark brown with a lot of natural red highlights, and it curls like nobody's business when it's freshly washed (fading to a wave on the second day - I can't wash my hair every day or it falls out in thick clumps). It's very thick as well. My mom's just jealous cause she has mousy fine hair :P (hell, my ex-husband is jealous... he cut his hair shortly after I did, and his is only shoulder length now, while mine grew a whole 10 inches LOL)
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                My hair is naturally reddish-blondish brown...
                I believe the term you're looking for is 'Auburn'?
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Auburn is more redish brown with rich tones to it rather than highlights. So it really depends on how much blonde is in the hair.
                  Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Becks' hair is naturally brunette with the red/blond/etc. in it. It's more then highlights...it's just is. LOL. Mine's the same way, except mine might be the tiniest bit redder.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      I believe the term you're looking for is 'Auburn'?
                      I guess you have to see it when it's not dyed. My natural hair color(s) can't be described in any one shade.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

I guess you have to see it when it's not dyed. My natural hair color(s) can't be described in any one shade.
                        Trippy Well, I think THIS thread has been throughly hijacked. Sorry guys.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                          Other than that, I've never had a single complaint about long hair said to my face... though I do suspect I didn't get a job or two I interviewed for because of it. Still, as it was said before... their loss.
                          'And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply", So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do. So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"' ^_^

After getting out of the military a couple of years ago I decided to just let go and grow my hair long; the only time I cut it was last Halloween, trimming just one side of my bangs while the other side hung over my right eye (ugh, I'm modelling myself after the characters I draw; that ain't right >.<)

I've had people call me a girl by mistake (fun seeing the look on their face; thank goodness for facial hair), and although I've had more than I can count of people telling me I should cut my hair, I have had a few who've said they love it.

..think I can get a stylist to help me get a Fu Manchu mustache? Just a couple more inches to go!
                          "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Reminds me of a girl I knew when I was a teenager. Her natural shade was this GORGEOUS shiny mixture of blondes, reds and browns that defied description. It was by far her most striking feature
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth SnapAddict218 View Post
                              "You are too old for long hair. Old ladies should keep their hair short."
                              Tell that to the generations of our ancestral women who fought into their graves for long hair. I'd kinda like to have my hair to my knees when I'm sixty, so I can wear it up in a coronet braid while it's gray and pretty. As it is, my hair is to my waist and very thick and curly. I hate haircuts and I flat out refuse to do business with any hairdresser who tries to talk me into anything shorter. After all, that's what wigs are for!

Comment

I have a working theory that the majority of hairdressers are jealous of women with long hair, since most of them seem to be obsessed with getting anyone with hair longer than shoulder length to chop, chop, chop. My wife had butt-length hair and let her hairdresser talk her into going above the shoulder in a moment of weakness. Since I'm a long hair fan I was and at the stylist.

Same thing with old ladies, it's as if they think everyone over 40 or 50 should get Standard Old Woman Hairstyle #73 because its the only thing they can do with their own hair anymore.
                                "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                                X