This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
    Now I did work somewhere once that they paid us $6/hr and tips on top of that. THAT place had amazing servers and very VERY little turn over. But that is not a requirement and establishments like that are few and far between.
    I was actually thinking that - if only restaurants would do that the customers would be assured of consistently good service and the employees would make a decent, livable wage. But I guess it makes too much sense to ever become a reality.
    "Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor." - Philip J. Fry

Comment

Actually, I know a few places owned by the head chef, or the retired guy who used to be the head chef, and they do things that way. Seems that, like ReformedWaitress, they know the best way to make sure staff gives service worth a $50/person tab (before alcohol) is to PAY them that way. Seems like it's only the places that are individually owned that do that, though. Guess the bean-counters need to get stuck behind an order pad for a few months and live off that wage.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I'll be honest, that minimum wage exception is the number one reason I won't wait tables. While it would be nice to be bringing home fresh money daily, it'd not be nice to have to budget around such a flucuating check. There are some states in the USA that have a flat minimum wage across the board, but federal law allows the tipped exemption, and few states go above and beyond in that regard.
        Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Working...
        X