This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill me.

How many annoyances can we cram into a single transaction????

Okay, I wasn't sucky to this cashier. I swear I wasn't. My sister wasnt', either. But I wanted to take off my shoe and pop her one in the ear with it.

Belks. I'm sure many of you already know where this is headed.

Cashier: Would you like to sign up for our credit card?
    Me: No thank you.
    Cashier: Are you sure?
    Me: (No, lady, I'm confused about it. In fact, I'm not even sure In Belks buying a shirt. Where am I? I just ignore her, running my plastic and punching in my pin.)
    Cashier: (banging on for my benefit, presumably to my sister) I know a lady who bought a pair of shorts with the money she saved!

Why oh why oh why oh WHY can I not just PAY FOR MY SHIT AND LEAVE???? Why?

Well, then, I guess she didn't fucking save that money, did she? I didn't say it. But I was thinking "Shut up! For Pete's sake shut up!!!!"

RK's Sister: (using the tone she uses when she's politely humoring someone.) Oh, wow. That's nice.

Cashier: (to me again) Phone number?

No, I didn't give her the phone number, either.

Geez!!!!

I hate that, when they keep trying to get me to join. When they ask for my number, I just make up one.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

i'm not sure if i would have been walking away at "are you sure" or "i know someone who bought a pair of shorts"

but there is no way i would have finished that transaction.

i wouldn't have been nasty to the checker, she probably has to do that kind of bull, but i wouldn't have put up with it either.
      DILLIGAF

Comment

I actually have walked away from a transaction before like that. I guess I was just sort of resigned for it all even before it happened, so I didn't really get too crazy. Just annoyed as hell. I just didn't want to spoil my day getting mad enough to make a scene.

Especially since I now know a lot of places are actually required to nag you like that. Still, it's uncalled for. Not totally the cashier's fault, I guess, but it really does get freaking old.

I actually have a little "satisfaction survey" from Coldwater Creek (they do it, too), on which I intend to remark that my checkout experience would have been most excellent, had it not been that the poor cashiers are required to nag me about their damn credit card over and over and over. The ladies were friendly, charming, and helpful. Unfortunately, they are forced to behave in an annoying, disrespectful way. So, their checkers get an A, stupid company policy gets an F.

Comment

Alot of stores make their clerks foist the damn sales pitch on customers. When I worked for Esprit, we even had a damn script.... customers glazed over maybe 4 words in... it sucks I hated it. I worked at a small make up kiosk they had in some of the stores.

We had to get 2 "out right" refusals before we could quit. I always loved working the shifts alone because it was only in the overlap that I was forced to say that crap!
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Speaking from the viewpoint of a sales associate, we'd rather not have to ask customers about signing up for the store credit card, but those in the corporate offices set goals for credit card applications, and we sales associates are the ones who are put under pressure to meet these goals and get blamed if this doesn't happen. We ARE supposed to be asking every customer, but I don't always do so, nor do I ever keep harping on the subject.

Comment

Maybe I just look poor, but I have yet to have someone really nag me after I reply "Oh, no thanks, I'm good." and smile winningly.

As for the phone number....

867-530 niiiiiine....

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                867-530 niiiiiine....
                Oh! Hey! Jenny! Wow, didn't recognize you there for a minute!

Yeah, I use that line too if I think they're going to distribute the number or nag me with it.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

As a former sales associate, i know at RS we were threatened with one write-up for every week you didnt get 2 credit card apps. Three write-ups for the same thing meant you lost your job.

Comment

At Penney's they wanted 2 apps a day, from each associate. You only work a 3 hour shift, mostly spent in the fittingrooms picking up? Well, you better find time to get on a register at some point in the day. 2 apps, per associate, per shift. No exceptions. The cashiers could get desperate near the end of their shift. That doesnt make for great customer service.
                    Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Hey, its not her fault, though. She is doing her job cause there are people, known as her bosses, who will cram their pressure onto her to sell, sell, sell! Sometimes customers just do not understand the pressure we go through. I get yelled at, belitttled for not making one lousy referral. One day, my manager made me feel so low that I wanted to cry for not making any referrals.

I used to be the same way, people would ask me if I want their product but it wasn't until I am the one asking that I now understand their "desparations"

The cashiers could get desperate near the end of their shift. That doesnt make for great customer service.
                      Tell that to the managers or the bosses above them. Their the ones who keep badgering them and us to sell their products!

Comment

Quote:
                        The cashiers could get desperate near the end of their shift. That doesnt make for great customer service.

Tell that to the managers or the bosses above them. Their the ones who keep badgering them and us to sell their products!
                        As if that would do any good. Store credit cards are a GINORMOUS profit center for retailers. And Mercedes Benz's and vacations in Vail and the Bahamas are expensive.

Hence, the pressure laid on cashiers and other employees thcik to meet a goal of credit card applications that they have ZERO control over achieving. And the employees get little or no reward for pimping the card while the profits being made off those cards are pumped into executive bonuses.

On the old target sucks forum, there were stories of managers forcing employees to sign up for the store credit card, just so they could improve their numbers.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I tend to just make the cashier laugh when I tell them that I'm not allowed another credit card, as I'd spend myself out of house and home (or moreover, apartment and car). I always try to be polite, as I know I hate asking for surveys at work but am forced to, and they have the same situation going on there. I figure it only takes a minute of my time, and having a sense of humor about it makes it easier. I've also been known to ask how many times they need me to say no before they can stop, and going ahead and just saying "no no no."
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I am so sick of being asked if I want a store credit card. Stores should realize that this is not the way you retain customers. I feel so bad for the retail employees who are forced to give the credit card spiel.

In all the times I have been asked if I would like to open a store card, I've only had one employee get snippy with me. It was an elderly woman at Macy's. She asked me if I wanted to save 10%. Since I knew what was coming, I said I wasn't interested. She rudely replied, "You didn't let me finish." I told her that I did indeed let her finish. She asked a question, and I gave a reply. She made me angry.

Comment

On one hand, as a customer, I feel your pain and she went kinda far and took it rather personal and should have been more professional in her attempts though maybe it's just her 'method' and maybe it's worked in the past. *shrugs* I don't know, I don't know her, couldn't say. Either way, she needs a chill pill and needs a bit of empathy to realize that obviously you weren't that one customer that was going to do a happy dance of glee and bounce out merrily clutching the stores card while squealing in delight.

On the other hand, I do know that a lot of stores enforce so many attempts as a rule so I don't get angry if people try more than once. Granted, if I'm having a bad day they might get a dirty look from me because I have my bad moods too, but I try not to take it out on them when I know it's really not their fault to be stuck in such a situation. I've said no, asking a second time really isn't the magic button that's going to make me go, "Oh, wait, you asked once more... wow, your magic power over me has made me suddenly weak in the knees! I must say yes now! Tell your corporate to just start asking more and more and more and more..." *drool*
                              "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Working...
                              X