Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And WHY would waste another second of my life on you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And WHY would waste another second of my life on you?

Okay so this was so weird. We're holding interviews where I work for several positions. The majority of calls that get transferred to me are for two specific "types" of positions. I've made some phone calls to schedule interviews and another person has also done so.

So anyway, I get this phone call today:

SJH = stupid job hunter
    me = me

SJH: "yeah someone called me from this number about a job"
    me: "okay, it could have been me or there is another woman scheduling interviews. I'm not really sure. But what's your name, I can get ask the person you would be interviewing with if they have your resume. What position were you applying for"
    SJH: I'm not really sure. What's that person's name?
    me: Their name is _____. Did they call you? No, Okay, well we're looking for ____ and _____. Did you apply for either of those positions?
    SJH: Well I'm not sure. Probably not the first one, my background really isn't in that. My background is in ______.
    Me: okay well we're not hiring for that right now.
    SJH: Well I think I got a call from there. I was just trying to figure it out.
    me: okay well I told you that we have these positions open ___ and ____.
    SJH: I'm not really interested in working with _____ (something the job would require)
    me: Okay then, well I'm not sure you applied for either of these positions then. They would require working with _____.
    SJH: well could you just look for my resume and see what I applied for?
    me: Okay - but were you interested in either of the positions I told you we were hiring for?
    SJH: I'm not sure. I guess if I submitted my resume that I was interested. I really asked to be contacted by e-mail.
    Me: (why does that matter?) Okay well I've just described the positions to you a little bit. They would involve working with _____. You do know what business this is, don't you?
    SJH: oh yeah. But I'm not sure what I applied for - so could you just look for me?
    Me: but I've told you about the positions - if it's not something you're interested in, then why would we want to schedule an interview?
    SJH: Oh you don't have to schedule an interview. I just want to know what I applied for....
    Me: um okay sure. I'll give you a call if we find your resume...

I just hung up after that - why would we want to waste an extra second on you? You don't know what you applied for, you don't sound interested in the positions available, yet you want me to go rummage through resumes to find yours so that I can call you back and tell you WHAT you applied for??? How does that make any sense at all? Why would I spend even one more second on this person???

By the way - the blanks aren't anything dirty. We work with some really confidential information, so I can't say a whole lot about the business or the positions..... might give away what "company" it is and I can't do that. But what a weird conversation, huh??

Yeesh, I doubt that I would've put up with that guy for half of that conversation. My tolerance for stupidity is at an all time low as of late.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Keep posting stuff like that, PLEASE. It's giving me a massive confidence boost while I'm looking for something besides working in a store/restaurant.

I just have to remind myself that eloquence, a well-written resume, and good grooming will get you further than being better qualified and a complete idjit.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth bannedanna View Post
        And in a few memorable instances that includes college grads...
        Well, you just opened the can of worms, so now I've got to fish... C'mon, story time!

And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

We never did send her on assignment, because we didn't have any positions that would fulfill her salary requirements
          Foot, you hath offended me for the last time! Eat hot lead! *BANG*

Comment

WTB - Do you know who my dad is?
            No, but I'm sure a heart-to-heart with your Mom and a DNA test will sort all of that out for you.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
              No, but I'm sure a heart-to-heart with your Mom and a DNA test will sort all of that out for you.

ETA - sheesh, I have a college degree (and obviously know how to use a computer) with lots of work experience, plus know how to dress even when you are asking for applications and sometimes feel bad about putting anything more than $27,000 for a salary "requirement."

I hate that part of apps for entry-level positions. Most of the times you are guessing blind, and you don't want to be unreasonable, but you don't want to sell yourself short either!

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                By the way - the blanks aren't anything dirty.
                But just think of the fun you can have playing Dirty Mad Libs...
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Maybe we could start a whole new section of the site for "Hopeless job hunters" or just "Stupid Job Hunters".... or "Unsupportable job hunters"..... I dunno I'm not the best at the moment in coming up w/ great names - but I think it could be quite the humorous section

Comment

I remember that time I was interviewing at PetSmart and blurted out "I actually like animals a lot more than I like people!"

Yeah, needless to say I never got a call back to there. Ah well. At least I didn't lie?
                    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

The worst part is that the temp agency that hires temps for the factory that I work at, they DO hire people as idiotic and retarded as the first example in the OP.

I've heard many a dumb temp quote, like:

"I so glad I passed dah drug test cuz I be so far behind wit da child support and stuff y'know? I went ta Walgreenz and bought da cleanzin kit"

And:

"I betta be able ta convat to reglar employee cuz dis temp shit sucks azz and I need a job I can keeps for more dan 2 weeks"
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                        I remember that time I was interviewing at PetSmart and blurted out "I actually like animals a lot more than I like people!"

Yeah, needless to say I never got a call back to there. Ah well. At least I didn't lie?
                        I actually called someone to schedule an interview and asked them if they liked working with people - their answer? "no". I said, "so you don't like people"? and they said "yeah I like to be alone. I don't work well with others"....

well needless to say I didn't schedule the interview - I was just so surprised someone would say that to someone calling to interview them - heck, at least she was honest though!

Comment

bannedanna, would hiring WTB just because her father is a client be a violation of Conflict of Interest? I mean why would they hire somebody who is dressed the way she is dressing and threatens to fire an employee?

Apparently, she graduated and started working for her dad, but she was such a slacking bitch that even her dad had to fire her, so she was looking for a new job.
                          So why would it matter who her father is then?

I swear, how come people who want a job so badly, act like such teenagers and is utterly unprofessional? They wonder why they don't have a job!

Comment

It doesn't really sound that weird.

Whenever I've applied for jobs and not used an agency, I just apply for everything that sounds even vaguely like what I could do. Sometimes I hear back and other times I don't. By the time I hear back on some jobs, I've forgotten what they were.

I've even applied for jobs I don't really want to do, but I was in a good mood that day and decided I'd be magnanimous and try and do the job if they accepted me.

Still, if I was in his position I would just make an appointment for an interview and see what happens. I would never ask the person on the phone to rummage through resumes to see what I've applied for.
                            Total surrender
                            Your touch is so tender
                            Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                            And it brings me relief
                            "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                              So why would it matter who her father is then?
                              From the way the story was told, I gathered that the bosses/owners of the agency felt a need to let her apply, but there was not in fact any direct pressure from the stupid girl's father.

If he couldn't stand her enough to give her a job, why would he want the temp agency he uses to hire her? That would just mean that the only jobs she would get placed at would be back in HIS office.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                              X