This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this over 40 cents...(long)

I was at the Giant Tiger today (it's kind of a big variety store here in Canada, sells a bit of everything). My brother and I decided to get pops, so we went to the pop machines outside and I decided I wanted a Pepsi. Unfortunately the machine was out of pepsi, kind of sad when you consider there were 4 pepsi buttons. I went into the store and they were selling the bottles of pepsi for 97 cents so I thought, well that's not too bad considering the machines were selling the cans for 75 cents, so I grabbed one and went to the cash. The woman rang it through and said "$1.53" I think I said "What?" out of surprise. The woman repeated it slowly like I was an idiot, and because she seemed to have an attitude (and chances were I read the sign wrong) I just paid with my debit. Afterwards I did a u-turn back into the store and went over to the fridge. 97 cents. I didn't want to hassle with the cash lady, so I went over to customer service.

CSG- customer service girl
    AL- attitude lady (same lady that sold me the pepsi)
    Me- me
    (I tried to space this out a little to make it clearer on who was talking)

Me- Hi, I paid $1.53 for this pepsi, but the fridge says 97 cents.
    CSG- Oh, that's the price for Aquafina. I think you just read the wrong sign.
    Me- OK, sorry about that.

I went back to the fridge and examined the sign closely.
    Sign- PEPSI, 97 cents
    Back to the CS desk I go...

Me- Hi, I looked at that sign and it says Pepsi.
    CSG- Oh really? (no attitude here, she was nice the whole time)
    AL- What's the problem?
    CSG- This lady paid $1.53 for her pepsi, but she says the sign says 97 cents.
    AL- No, it's $1.33 without tax.
    AL ends up calling pricing people, I wait for a few minutes chatting with the CSG.
    My brother is horribly embarrassed I'm doing this and I'm beginning to feel the same way.
    AL walks away to do something and the pricing lady shows up. CSG tells her what's going on and she goes over to the pop fridges. A few minutes later she comes back with the sign.
    PL- This is an old promotion, it's over now but we forgot to take down the sign. You'll have to give it to her. I fixed the signs so the right price is there now.

She leaves and CSG starts working things out to give me my 40 cent refund (by this time I'm feeling like a complete idiot) when all of a sudden
    AL (from the fridges across the store and it's a pretty big store)
    "HEY LADY! HEY LADY WITH THE PEPSI!"
    CSG and I both turn to look and she comes running up.
    AL- It's $1.33. The sign is down there.
    CSG- Yes but-
    AL- You don't get a refund. The price is correct.
    CSG- But the pricing woman was just here and she brought the sign up.
    AL- Yes but it's $1.33.
    Anyway, we finally got it through her head that the price had already been changed and I was getting my refund, which I did get. Do you think I was a pest for going back for 40 cents? I tried my best not to be sucky which was easy since I wasn't mad or anything, and I was polite as I could be. I was ready to walk away after 5 minutes, since all I thought when I saw the price was wrong was "Oh, I've been overcharged, better go back." and didn't give a thought that it was only 40 cents. I think it was kind of unprofessional for that woman to scream across the store at me though. Sorry this is so long. By the way, that was only a small part of the crazy monday I've been having so far.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

It would be sucky if you were being a total pain about it, or if you knew it was an old promotion, stated to the desk person that you knew it was an old promotion, and then still insisted on the lower price (I've had someone do that to me....grr...old hag).

But, from the sounds of it you did none of those things, so no, not really sucky.

Comment

I remember Giant Tiger. I bought my first bottle of Buckley's there and commenced swearing shortly after. I also broke out into ungentlemanly amusement when I saw them selling "Aunt Flo's cookies" at the counter. Somehow, I really think they needed to rethink which aunt they used for that company.

Back on topic, you didn't kick or scream, and you got them to correct an error that they should have dealt with some time ago. Forty cents isn't that much, especially to a Brit with a lovely rate of exchange, but you shouldn't have to pay more than the advertised price according to the legislation as I understand it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Naw, you weren't sucky about it but the cashier had really nasty attitude about it and yelling across the store isn't really professional. I mean it's really management's fault for not changing back to the regular price when the sale was over and you were in a right for getting the refund since that's what was stated when you brought it.

The thing is that price would have remained there for who knows how long if you didn't go to customer service and tell them about the price difference. Someone else would have brought a Pepsi and who knows how they would act when they found out it was more then what it said it was.
        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
        My space
        Facebook

Comment

No that doesnt sound like you where sucky or bad in any way. Soudns like the lady with the attitude was ha ving some major power trip issues. I ran into something like that today as well which is rather funny in a sad sick way.

Comment

Yeah, I told my mom about it and she was pretty annoyed about the woman yelling across the store. She said the woman was just trying to embarrass me by letting everyone know that I was wrong. Too bad for her, she was wrong!

Anyway, right after I left Giant Tiger, I went to Blockbuster and found a game that has been out for two solid weeks. I thought, well I guess this day isn't a total loss, but when I went to take it out I found out my other brother, who doesn't live with us, had used our account to take out a game, and kept it late. It was charged to our account and the girl said we couldn't rent anything until it was paid off. So she's keeping the game on hold for me until we can get ahold of my brother and his late game. When my brother that was with me heard that he went into a total rant (directed at my other bro, not at the girl) and started swearing in the store and we had to drag him out going, "calm down, calm down!" The girl probably thinks we're all crazy. My brother has a mental illness and was already stressed from the godawful day we'd been having, and later he apologized to us for acting that way.
            -Helen Keller

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
              My brother and I decided to get pops, so we went to the pop machines outside and I decided I wanted a Pepsi.
              Do you guys call a drink a pop??
              I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
              another time, this world would fade away
              To find true love, is like no other joy,
              our choice is here
              be happy for today

Comment

Yes, some places do call soda pop. When I lived in Cali as a child, we called it soda. then I moved to Idaho, and everyone called it pop.

In my early 20's I spent a year in Texas, and discovered everyone there called it coke. As in:

Can I get a coke?

What kinda coke?

A sprite.

Ok, One Coke Coming up (as she grabs a sprite.)

yeah, that really confused me for a while.
                Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

So it's like, they group all fizzy drinks under one name?

ooooh...

But coke is coke, fanta is fanta, sprite is sprite. You can't call them all 'soda' or 'pop' cause then if you say you want one, how does the person selling it know which one?

"I want a soda"

"Sure...we have many a soda - which one would you like cominatcha?"

"Um, I would like a coke soda please..."
                  I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
                  another time, this world would fade away
                  To find true love, is like no other joy,
                  our choice is here
                  be happy for today

Comment

No the terms 'soda' and 'pop' are usually used when someone says something like 'Can we pull into the 7-11? I wanna get a pop.' Most people, if they ask an emloyee for a soda, say 'Can I get a sprite?'

The only place I found weird was in Texas, where they'd order a 'coke' and the waitress would say back 'what kinda coke?' That was weird.

I just realized you were Australian Cominatcha, that's why I'm clarifying. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I dunno.
                    Last edited by ThePhoneGoddess; 05-08-2007, 08:09 AM.
                    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

That's true, we do call soda "pop" here in Canada. I was on vacation in Boston and I asked a guy at a bar what kind of pop he had. Blank stare.
                      Sorry about that!
                      -Helen Keller

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        I also broke out into ungentlemanly amusement when I saw them selling "Aunt Flo's cookies" at the counter. Somehow, I really think they needed to rethink which aunt they used for that company.
                        Okay, you have now ruined those cookies for me. Ewww. And they were TASTY cookies too *shudder*

Mariamousie! I just realized you're in the same town as my baby cousin She's at Western! I drive through once in a while to visit.
                        Last edited by tollbaby; 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM.
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Pop vs. Soda

I live in a soda area. But drive 60 miles west and it's all called pop.

Comment

My little brother calls it pop, and gets mad that I call it soda. No real idea why we call it different things, as we're only 3 years apart, grew up together and even went/go to the same college. *shrugs* I think I just like soda better.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                            X