This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two bannings in two days

Oy vey! Where do I even begin with these?

Quick background: I'm currently working at the corporate HQ of a major local chain. The HQ is directly attached to their warehouse, and my department handles receiving for the HQ side (among other things). We have a two-way radio to talk to the main receiving department, security, and the guard shack.

Anyway, two days ago, right before we go got our UPS pickup, we got a radio call from the guard shack saying a rental van being driven by a guy claiming to be a FedEx driver was coming around. It took him quite a long way to find his way to the right dock.

"Guard shack, did that truck come around? I should've seen him by now."

"Yes, he did go around"

"Security to mailroom, he went to the refrigerated docks and it took him a while to figure out he wasn't in the right place."

So the guy finally gets there, and I see him pull off a plaid sweatshirt to reveal a FedEx jacket. After taking the package and closing the door, I keyed the radio

"Guard shack, that rental van was FedEx Home. He had his fedex Jersey on under another sweater."

"Well, I couldn't see that when he was here."

I had to deal with the UPS pickup right after that, so I missed what happened next. I was told this the next day by the head of security. he had flagged down the van and confronted the FedEx driver while I was busy. It seems that when he went to the guard shack, he said he was with FedEx, but because he was in a generic rental van and did not have visible FedEx attire, the guard requested to see a badge. After all, for all he knew this was a Timothy mcveigh wannabe with a truck bomb.

The driver immediately flipped out, declared "I have a hundred deliveries to make; I don't have time for this shit," then stormed out of the shack and drove past it without even finding out if he was being allowed in, let alone being told where to go.

HoS bluntly informed the driver that what he just did was unacceptable. There are security procedures here, and every other driver is able to follow them, so he can too. Don't do it again.

The driver got pissed, and proceeded to peel away after HoS walked away, almost causing an accident with another vehicle in the process!

HoS said "yeah, I'm calling FedEx and telling them that driver is banned from our property due to his refusal to comply with simple procedures and unsafe driving....and this is the SECOND such call I've had to make today, after that guy this morning....."

Yeah, that morning, there had been a lot of radio chatter about a white 18-wheeler that the receiving foreman wanted OFF the property. He was very insistent that the truck had to be observed leaving.

He ended up having to go with the security supervisor and drive around the property to find the truck and order the driver to leave, or they were going to call the cops!

We had wondered at the time what that was about, but didn't want to get involved. Turns out that the driver of this truck had gotten pissed about something, started an argument with one of the receivers, and called him a "cracker."

And it seems this is far from the first issue they've had with drivers from this particular trucking company, with this incident being the straw that broke the camels back. HoS called that company and didn't just ban this driver, he banned the ENTIRE TRUCKING COMPANY!!

Something tells me someone's gonna lose their job.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-18-2017, 03:23 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

To be able to hear that conversation...

Comment

*subscribes to thread and hopes for drama-riffic updates*

Comment

I don't think there's gonna be any updates unless one or the other tries to get back onto the property, and there's no guarantee I'll be notified.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I love happy endings. ;-;

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            I don't think there's gonna be any updates unless one or the other tries to get back onto the property, and there's no guarantee I'll be notified.
            I'm thinking their boss will call about his banning but that would go higher than you?

Comment

Yeah, that would likely go to the head of security, or if it goes any higher, to the director of loss prevention, so id only find out if one of them decided to tell us

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                And it seems this is far from the first issue they've had with drivers from this particular trucking company, with this incident being the straw that broke the camels back. HoS called that company and didn't just ban this driver, he banned the ENTIRE TRUCKING COMPANY!!
                Bit of advice: company you work for may not have called the right people, which could cause difficulties getting your deliveries.

Scenario: Your employer buys wholesale quantities of Barko Dog Food, Barko contracts with Bubba's Motor Freight to do the delivery.

Problem: Cletus, one of Bubba's drivers, is a jerk, your employer doesn't want to deal with him.
                Solution: Contact Bubba's Motor Freight, tell them that Cletus will no longer be allowed on the property. Bubba's sends a different driver next time.

Problem: Cletus wasn't the first jerk from Bubba's. Billy Bob, Jethro, and Jimbo were also banned, your employer doesn't want to deal with Bubba's any more.
                Action: Contact Bubba's Motor Freight, tell them to stay off the property.
                New problem: Barko doesn't know about any of this, still loads your cargo onto Bubba's trucks. Your employer runs short of dog food because it's been loaded onto trucks that aren't allowed onto the property, faces added expense of getting the product cross-docked at Lefty's LTL Service and delivered the last few miles by Lefty's trucks.
                Proper action: Contact Barko, tell them that multiple drivers from Bubba's have caused problems, so Bubba's trucks are no longer welcome on the property. Barko knows they need to contract with a different company to haul freight going to your employer, calls Hank's Haulage. Shipment arrives on schedule, on one of Hank's trucks.
                Last edited by wolfie; 02-19-2017, 01:38 AM.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm really digging the name choices here.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    New problem: Barko doesn't know about any of this, still loads your cargo onto Bubba's trucks.
                    Wouldn't it be Bubba's responsibility to notify Barko of this? (Of course, this situation is predicated on Bubba being irresponsible.)

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                      Wouldn't it be Bubba's responsibility to notify Barko of this? (Of course, this situation is predicated on Bubba being responsible.)
                      It is, but being Bubba's showing poor judgement in who he hires I don't see him doing any better here...

I agree, Dave1982's company needs to tell Barko that Bubba's trucks will NOT be allowed entry and if Barko still wants to sell to Dave1982's company he will need to find another delivery service.

Hopefully Bubba will clean up his act to keep the contract, if he does all is good and if he doesn't everything should still be good...

Comment

You're right, but that all way above my pay grade.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I know it would cause one hell of a legal/financial mess and take a lot of time to sort out, but, I'd sooooooooooo love it if that story ended with someone trying to explain to his boss why all the tires on that company vehicle have been shot out....
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            Yeah, but I can hope.

Comment

Working...
                            X