Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I understand you don't have the receipt from Christmas ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I understand you don't have the receipt from Christmas ...

... but that's the way we work now.

I didn't hear the whole conversation but enough to get the gist of it.

Customer wanted to return a bag of tea she'd purchased around Christmas. She didn't like it; it tasted odd.

Now, our normal procedure WITH A RECEIPT is to measure out what's left and exchange it for the same amount of a tea the customer does like.

She didn't have the receipt. I think my manager might have been willing to stretch a point and give her the exchange anyway (as I said, I didn't hear everything, but it was definitely our tea in our distinct little bag) but Customer wasn't happy about it. I think she wanted a refund, and that's a no-go no matter what.

She was indignant that we'd actually expect her to retain a receipt from Christmas, and left definitely not happy with us.

And yet oddly, a pair later on that day brought back a travel mug they'd bought at Christmas ... and THEY had the receipt. (Travel mug wasn't even broken, as it turned out.)

So yeah, lady, it is possible to hang onto receipts. Even from waaaay back three months ago. Not our fault you didn't.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

The return policy was stupidly lenient at the fabric store, except for actual fabric or anything by the yard. Want to return fabric without reciept? Too bad. We have no idea how much you bought. We only return the amount that was bought, customers aren't allowed to buy two yards and then return 1.5 yards. Even if a customer found a damaged spot, they were supposed to bring back the entire yardage and we'd replace it. It's one of the only policies that I never saw bent. Boy, it pissed customers off. I loved it.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Admittedly I don't keep most of my receipts, but if it's something that might even vaguely stand a chance of needing to be returned or consulted again then I tape it to the packaging. This has served me well, as earlier today I was able to dig out the receipt for a rechargeable handvac that I bought nearly 2 years ago... With a 3 year RTB warranty.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Admittedly I don't keep most of my receipts, but if it's something that might even vaguely stand a chance of needing to be returned or consulted again then I tape it to the packaging. This has served me well, as earlier today I was able to dig out the receipt for a rechargeable handvac that I bought nearly 2 years ago... With a 3 year RTB warranty.
        Nor do I . But I do understand that, without a receipt, it might not be returnable, no matter how obvious the packaging (and product).

And I know that at Christmas I, at least, made a strong point of telling customers to keep their receipts, and why. Can't answer for my coworkers, of course (especially the seasonal hires, who might have been more than a little overwhelmed).

Good idea about taping the receipt to the packaging, by the way. I just purchased a new smoke alarm and a CO monitor, and already can't find the damn receipt *sigh*. I wasn't thinking of returns, but was planning to put it into a package to leave for the next owners of the house (no, it's not even up for sale yet, but these items are good for 10 years -- and I certainly expect to be out of here before then).
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Some things shouldn't even be returned, such as food and cut fabric.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            Some things shouldn't even be returned, such as food and cut fabric.
            I make it a point of telling customers that any returned tea will be thrown out ... it will NOT be put back in the canisters that hold the 'for sale' tea!

You've got a point about returning food, but a lot of people buy tea as a gift, and the recipient might not like the tea that's been given to them. This gives them the opportunity to exchange it for something they prefer.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X