This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it not occur to you?

We were at a place famous for its milkshakes yesterday. Naturally with our meals we all three ordered milkshakes. After receiving them my wife says to me "This is watery and thin," opens the lid and, sure enough, it's watery and thin.

Waitress: "How are the shakes?"
    Wife: "Is there any ice cream in here? It's very thin."
    Waitress: "I watched them put four scoops in."
    Wife: "It's very thin."
    Waitress: "Well, we've been using 2% milk lately rather than whole milk, and they have been coming out a little thin. We should probably go back to whole milk."

She stares at us. We stare back. She stares more. So do we. Finally:

Waitress: "I guess I could go ask them to mix another one and see if it comes out better."
    Wife (smiling): "That would be great! Thanks."

Off the waitress goes. Soon another one comes that is acceptable.

She eventually fixed it, but honestly, it seemed for quite some time that she had no thought of trying to make the situation better. I've never really had waitstaff take a complaint, ADMIT the item was not up to snuff, and not then immediately offer to make it right. Her prolonged silent stare seemed to indicate that there should be no further action anticipated. It was kind of surreal...
    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

I hope the appropriate tip was left and the manager informed...

Comment

Why would anyone use 2% milk for a milk shake? I want my next milk shake to be made with half-and-half.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If there's ice cream in there too then using 2% instead of whole shouldn't even be noticeable. There's something far screwier going on there...
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

2% does feel blasphemous -- but RU has a point. I would expect that to affect the taste, but not have a significant effect on the consistency.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I wonder if some skimmer read "Whole milk: 3.25% butter fat" and figured if I add 2 quarts of water to each gallon of whole milk, I'll have 50% more milk *and* it will be *better* than 2% still!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The cups we serve our iced drinks in were "upsized" a while ago. I've always had trouble with the latte, etc., recipes at our "bar" and with this I'm having even more trouble ... because if you follow the current recipes, you end up with a drink that's noticeably short of the top of the cup (they're transparent, so it's quite obvious).

So I'm wondering if somebody made the milkshake but didn't get the ingredient quantities right and ended up with a "mini-shake" instead of whatever the normal quantity should be ... and just dumped some water in and hoped for the best. Stupid thing to do, if that's what happened ... seriously, how long does it take to make a replacement milkshake?

And yeah, that server needs a good talking-to. You don't admit "Yeah, it doesn't really look right" and then just stand there staring vacantly into the distance.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                If there's ice cream in there too then using 2% instead of whole shouldn't even be noticeable. There's something far screwier going on there...
                Most likely they started using less ice cream and more milk, blaming the thinness on the 2% milk.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

There is an ice cream chain that thankfully didn't last long in a location near me. Went in and got a milkshake, and it was like melted milkshake. It was crazy busy, nad they only had young kids aka teens working, who didn't seem to hvae a clue, otherwise i would have gone back and complained. But really? this is most certainly not a milkshake.

Comment

CMOT is branching out from his Dibbler's Homeopathic Sipping Whiskey into milkshakes?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"I...drink...your...milkshake!" [slurps] "I DRINK IT UP!!!"

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Most likely they started using less ice cream and more milk, blaming the thinness on the 2% milk.
                        My thought too. That's a milkshake that won't bring any boys to the yard.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                          She eventually fixed it, but honestly, it seemed for quite some time that she had no thought of trying to make the situation better.
                          I've done that in food service, not because the thought didn't occur to me but because I knew there wasn't anything I could do to fix it. It would be something like there was no choice of bread (came how it came) or cheese sauce could not be warmed up (container could not be microwaved), or that batch of pretzels was baked darker at the factory and that box was all we had, or something was baked rather than steamed because the steam cooker was on the fritz--stuff that violated personal preference but wasn't a gross misrepresentation of the product. I served it as was told to do, but if someone complained I at least offered a refund.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I understand your position in those cases, Food Lady. In this case though, she apparently thought we should just accept it, that that's the way of the world. She had a deer in the headlights look about her.
                            Last edited by seigus; 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM. Reason: word choice
                            Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

One time I had some fish and chips, and the batter on the fish was so salty I couldn't eat it. The waitress was very dubious about this because other people (not in our group, I guess other tables) had been served it and hadn't complained. Eventually she offered a new portion, but I asked if it would be the same batter and she said yes, so I said not to bother. Ate some fries, left. I still get kind of baffled by it, she didn't offer any alternative and I clearly had only taken a small bite, so it wasn't like I was angling for free food.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X