This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Ye To A Disney Store

For the last couple of days I have been showing my best friend around town. We were looking at some shops down on the wharf when we find a pirate themed shop. At the same time two older women spotted the shop and expressed excitement at the store as well. My friend and I are browsing when I overhear one of the women say "This store sucks" loudly enough for the whole store to hear.

The other lady brings her purchases to the counter when her friend tells the cashier "Ya know if you stocked some Pirates of The Carribean stuff you'd get more shoppers. How can you run a pirate store and not have Johnny Depp stuff?" The cashier just smiled and said " There's a Disney Store at the mall a few miles further, I'm sure they'll have tons of POtC things."

We heard the woman remark about the cashier's "rudeness" as she exited the store.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

another case of "she's rude cause she didn't tell me what i wanted to hear."

people suck.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Good for that cashier!!!!!!!!
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
        How can you run a pirate store and not have Johnny Depp stuff?"
        Because Disney's legal department are bigger and meaner than any pirate that's ever sailed the Spanish Main? Door's on your left, have a nice life.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

"Away to the world across the seas,
          Where pirates all have law degrees,
          But I'll be true to the song I sing
          And live and die a pirate king."

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
            Because Disney's legal department are bigger and meaner than any pirate that's ever sailed the Spanish Main?
            The cashier should've said: Listen sucky customers, you can complain about my lack of stock on POTC stuff but you don't ever F--K with Disney!

Cookie to those who get the reference.
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

How is that being rude by telling the old biddy that she can get what she wants by going to another store?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                "Away to the world across the seas,
                Where pirates all have law degrees,
                But I'll be true to the song I sing
                And live and die a pirate king."
                Man, I love Gilbert & Sullivan. I much prefer the original lyrics to those from The Pirate Movie, though.

And Kevin Kline made an awesome Pirate King when he took a turn. And Rex Smith looked pretty good in his "effective but alarming costume."

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

O.K. I'm lost. Explain the Gilbert and Sullivan references, I'm intrigued
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    How is that being rude by telling the old biddy that she can get what she wants by going to another store?
                    In the mind of the SC, the word "no" is the ultimate obscenity. And suggesting that the Almighty Customer exert a little effort by -- gasp! -- looking at another store for the item they want is nothing short of blasphemy.

Therefore, "No, we don't stock it, but Store B does" = extreme rudeness from the employee.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      Because Disney's legal department are bigger and meaner than any pirate that's ever sailed the Spanish Main? Door's on your left, have a nice life.
                      Sorry, but there's really no logic behind that assumption. You can buy PoTC stuff all over the place. As long as its licensed and not bootleg, Disney gets their cut no matter who sells it. However, the pirate shop may have opted not to compete with the Disney for other reasons. It could be that whatever price the shop sold it at, the Disney could have sold it cheaper. National chains, because of their ability to buy in volume, have a lower per unit cost than a local shop. Why stock something your competitor will sell for less anyway? Stock the things they don't carry and then sell your customers on that.

"JOHNNY DEPP?! FEH! Let me show you some REAL pirates! Check out this Jack Rackham flag here (skull & crossed cutlasses) and this book about Edward Teach. What, 'Who is Edward Teach?!' He's BLACKBEARD!" *launch into sales pitch mode with history making sure to try and include that nice wooden model of the Queen Anne's Revenge in the sale*
                      Last edited by Mike Taylor; 05-20-2007, 03:51 AM.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

OT: Gilbert & Sullivan wrote operettas in the late 1800's. Sullivan wrote the music, as well as some truly beautiful chorales. Gilbert wrote lyrics. Much of their works are incredibly irreverant and are excellent examples of satire, political and otherwise. Sullivan actually didn't care for the lyrics that Gilbert wrote because he thought they were disrespectful to the queen, but was frustrated in his efforts to produce a successful show otherwise as most audiences expected more satire and were disappointed in his more serious efforts.

The Pirates of Penzance (1879) is one of their best known works, as is The Mikado (1885). Both have been performed nearly constantly since their debuts and you can find about a dozen versions of each available on video and DVD.

There is a professional movie version of The Pirates of Penzance that includes many of the same actors that were in the stage production, including Kevin Kline (The Pirate King), Rex Smith (Young Fredrick), Angela Lansbury (Ruth the Maid), and Linda Ronstadt (Mabel). This particular production includes an extra song taken from another G&S operetta that is quite amusing.

There is also a movie based on the operetta that is called The Pirate Movie. I have vague memories of watching it once when I was fairly young. It has rather less singing, which makes it not as good (in my opinion), but more accessible to the general movie-going audience.

The Mikado is even more popular, and you can find versions with Clive Revill (an excellent production), an unusual version with Eric Idle (set in the 20's, quite well done), and my favorite version, one produced by The Stratford Festival in Canada.

Ok... enough fangirling... we return you to your regularly scheduled suckage.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I love theature i saw the Pirates of Penzance in an open pit theature where the actors came out from the wings and used the audence as props... it was sooo awesome

Comment

Find... no, actively HUNT for someone doing Pirates of Penzance, and see it live if you can.

Failing that, try to track down a copy of the live performance done with Kline/Smith/Lansbury/Rondstat team.

Failing that, try the actual movie version with Kline/Smith/Lansbury/Rondstat.

Failing that... uh... hmmm....

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                              Find... no, actively HUNT for someone doing Pirates of Penzance, and see it live if you can.
                              Yes, yes yes! I saw a live production here in Bangkok and it was great! Pirates of Penzance is hilarious as a stage play.
                              Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Working...
                              X