Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On live Gilbert & Sullivan productions: Your mileage may vary.

Generally speaking, the local productions can be a real treat.

I actually attended the New D'Oyly Carte production of The Mikado and it had to have been the dryest, and most boring production that could possibly have been produced. However, both of the other productions I have attended (one at the local community theater) were outstanding.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      Man, I love Gilbert & Sullivan. I much prefer the original lyrics to those from The Pirate Movie, though.
      I think people should note that G&S never thought it worth while to do an opereta about ninjas or to even include any in the Mikado.
      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
        I think people should note that G&S never thought it worth while to do an opereta about ninjas or to even include any in the Mikado.
        That's because the ninjas hadn't started up their PR machine yet.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
          How do you know there were no ninja in The Mikado and you just didn't see them?

They are ninja, after all.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Kudos to the pirate themed store to not carry POtC stuff, I'm getting sick of it and can't wait till it dies down. I like the good ol' fashioned pirate theme stuff.

The Pirate Movie is truely bad! I remember going to it in high school because it had some hearthrob (at the time) guy in it and Kristy McNichols (gah, we were demented in the 80's to think of her as the best hottie we could come up with).

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
              I remember going to it in high school because it had some hearthrob (at the time) guy in it and Kristy McNichols (gah, we were demented in the 80's to think of her as the best hottie we could come up with).
              It's... common to each generation to do something like that.

Comment

The guy in The Pirate Movie was Christopher Atkins.
                Here's a link to the movie poster.

It just screams "80s movie trying desperately to be cool."

^-.-^

Comment

"Man, I love Gilbert & Sullivan. I much prefer the original lyrics to those from The Pirate Movie, though."

Oh, me too, but Gilber & Sullivan don't mention lawyers.

C'mon, the Pirate Movie was cute...especially if you were already a PoP fan and you could appreciate what they'd done to update it. (I usually really enjoy different takes and interpretations of a well known story.)

However it WAS missing Kevin Kline in a poufy shirt and tight pants....

Okay, check this out. Do NOT eat or drink before viewing. In fact, go pee first. THEN watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJdEFf_Qg4

Comment

Oh, that is a riot!

Kinkoid, if you like updates on old themes, have you checked out the Eric Idle version of The Mikado? Everyone I know has said it's the same... but different. They did a really good job with it.

I'm with you on the missing Kline angle. And Smith was no slouch in his navy pants, either. *rowr*

^-.-^

Comment

Yarr!

Why is there never any rum?
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

How do you know there were no ninja in The Mikado and you just didn't see them?

They are ninja, after all.
                        True...although one might see the shuriken/manriki-gusari at the last second...depending on the lighting of course.

"Ninja--vanish!"

*wonders when the pirates-vs-ninjas fight begins*
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Warning! Topic drift!

My wife has been playing Puzzle Pirates, and was estatic to find that nobody had named their crew "Pirates of Penzance", letting her grab the name.

Comment

Oooh... spiffy. What sea is she on?

Maybe I'll get back on and pay them money so my characters don't disappear ever again.

^-.-^

Comment

Oooh... spiffy. What sea is she on?
                              Hunter. One of the doubloon oceans. By the way, if you stop by, see if I'm plaing cards.

Comment

Killer. When I was playing last, I was on Hunter.

I'm always Andara, but I have no characters right now. I'm waiting until my computer works and I don't have to give Nekojin the boot to play online.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                                X