This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overreact much, buddy?

Quick one, from my recent trip to Hawaii, which I'll probably post a few tales about throughout the forums this week. This can be moved if not considered a sighting.

On our last night there, my family (me-24, my brother-21, my parents, my aunt and uncle, and my cousin-19) went to a luau. We had a good time with the buffet and all, had a few drinks, but no one was drunk. One thing you need to know here is that my family is rather, um, boisterous. We have a large number of inside jokes, all find eachother insanely funny, and generally like to have a good time. By the time we reached the show portion of the luau, we were all joking around, taking silly pictures, etc.

We sat down in the last row of the outdoor auditorium, with no one in front of us, and proceeded to be obnoxious and silly. It was obvious we were not going to be church mice, given the way we were acting, and it's not like the place was full up. Two older couples came and sat down right in front of us, and ignored our giggling and chitchatting for the beginning of the show.

About 15 min into the show, they did this volcano/Pele thing, and the announcer had the worst monotone/least inflection I've ever heard, which I found HYSTERICAL. We commence joking, and me, my brother and my cousin crack up. The guy in front of us turns around and roars, loud enough for the entire auditorium (small children and all, folks!) "Asshole! Do you mind?" Granted, I almost died when my brother replied "No, not at all sir" and had to bite my tongue to refrain from retorting "Don't you mean assholeS? There are three of us here, buddy" but still.

Is it just me, or would a quiet, "Think you could keep it down?" have been SO much more appropriate?
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Quoth myswtghst View Post
    Is it just me, or would a quiet, "Think you could keep it down?" have been SO much more appropriate?
    Oh, definitely. If you were there first, then the guy should have sat elsewhere if he didn't want to be next to a group that was obviously going to be noisy, or at least been civil about asking you to quiet down.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I think you guys should have been more thoughtful and not been so loud during the show.

Granted, he shouldn't have reacted that way either, but you guys started it. I understand your family is outgoing, but sometimes you need to use your indoor voices. This sounds like one of those times.
      Total surrender
      Your touch is so tender
      Your skin is like water on a burning beach
      And it brings me relief
      "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

I guess I should clarify this, as well. We were not being terribly loud, just having a good time in the back row--we sat there on purpose, knowing we'd be rambunctious. The people in front of us could hear us, but not anyone beyond that. We also were not the only ones talking--heck, the ladies next to my dad were singing along, loudly and off-key, for most of the performance. This was an outdoor luau and there was an open bar at the dinner before the show--it wasn't a quiet theatre show.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
          I guess I should clarify this, as well. We were not being terribly loud, just having a good time in the back row--we sat there on purpose, knowing we'd be rambunctious. The people in front of us could hear us, but not anyone beyond that. We also were not the only ones talking--heck, the ladies next to my dad were singing along, loudly and off-key, for most of the performance. This was an outdoor luau and there was an open bar at the dinner before the show--it wasn't a quiet theatre show.
          Understood.
          Total surrender
          Your touch is so tender
          Your skin is like water on a burning beach
          And it brings me relief
          "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

i understand that, i was at a comedy show and i cant help laughing my ass off because ive had too much caffiene.......... and the guy loved me. But the rest in the people hated me.

Comment

How does one use their inside voice when they are outside?

But seriously if you guys where there first and already acting like that the guy should have realized that maybe sitting someplace else would be a good idea? Especially if the place wasnt that full.

Comment

Some people get their energy going and end up being loud and obnoxious without realizing it. But the proper thing to do would be to say "Excuse me, but would you mind keeping it down a little? I can't hear." In a perfect world...
                It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I've actually been really irritated with people at concerts talking over the music.

Once I was very startled when a polite request for quiet out of them actually got them to shut up.

All the rest have just been complete asshats, however. Especially the group plying the just-turned-20-year-old with wine.... I still wish I'd had the cops called on them, they were just that obnoxious.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ugh my husband HATES teenagers/ middle schoolers in movie theatres.... or very loud, obnoxious people that have to shout stuff out like "Oh no don't go there," or "oohh ooh I get it now!!", etc.... BUT the last time we go to see a movie where does he sit?? RIGHT in front of a group of teenagers - there were several seats between, but the people on each side of these empty seats were talking to each other and it was pretty obvious they were saving seats for a ton of other people.....

Thankfully, they weren't really obnoxious, but they were showing behaviors that would lead one to believe they might be obnoxious - and my husband sits right in front of them.....

Comment

and yet my five- and eight-year old children can behave perfectly in a movie theatre (although my daughter does occasionally need to be reminded to whisper if she wants to say something to mommy)... they've never been obnoxious in a movie theatre yet (grocery store is something else... I've decided to start doing my groceries on weekends when they're with their dad, because he and I do our shopping together with both kids, they're impossible - usually because they're tired).
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                      X