This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel free to slap me.

This isn't a sucky customer story but it's something I experienced at the gas station this morn. feel free to move to wherever.

I got off work yesterday morning, and stopped to get gas and coffee on my way home. I had a lot of work to do at home so I needed coffee. I don't usually drink coffee and I very rarely purchase anything other than gas at a convenience store, so this was kinda like an adventure for me.

So the guy starts pumping my gas, and I walk in to get my coffee. The young cashier guy is mopping up in front of the coffee station. I say 'Uh-oh, somebody had an accident!' and he says 'yeah, somebody left one of the pots full of coffee with the lid only half screwed on last night. I thought it was empty so I picked it up and it tipped over.'

Me: oh, so someone last night was flaking, then.

He: Yeah. Hang on just a minute, and I'll set the fresh pot out for you.

Me: take your time, I'm waiting for my gas to pump.

so he mops up the floor enough to where I can safely walk up and pour me some coffee, then sets out the new pot. I carefully step up, get a cup of coffee, and then go to the other end of the table to get some cream and sugar. I then, in a fit of sheer and utter brilliance, manage to spill my cup of fresh hot sticky sugar laden coffee ALL OVER. This was at the other end of the counter from the pots, so now both ends of the counter had coffee all over them. It spilled all over my hand and was damn hot, so I gasped loudly and jumped, and he looked over. I looked up at that poor cashier and said 'Feel free to slap me.' He looked kind of shocked!

So I grabbed one of the rags he had been using to clean and proceed to start cleaning up my mess. He hesitates, then comes over and helps me---he lifts up the cup lid and creamer racks while I clean under them. I mumbled something about being sorry, and then he says 'at least you're helping clean it up. A lot of people just tell me they spilled something and leave.'

I laughed nervously and told him I had done that kind of work before, I know how it is, and at least people tend to tell him about it. There's nothing like getting on a phone at a grocery store and telling someone, 'looks like somebody puked in aisle 4'. He laughed at this and I felt much better.

So then I pay for my gas, and he tells me to have a good morning. I say 'Yeah, I think I'm gonna go home and yell at my cats.'*

When I walked out he was laughing loudly. I hope I made his day a little better, even if I did spill coffee all over his counter.

*(no I do not really yell at my cats. I like to bitch at them sometimes in the morning when I get home and they are harassing me to go outside before I even get in the door.)
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

That was nice of you to help clean up. So very many people wouldn't. And it's not as if you did it on purpose.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

See, when I've tried to help clean up a mess that I've made somewhere, I get shooed off and they won't let me help. That makes me feel worse than making the original mess.
      ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Had a kid once who puked on the carpet; her mom asked for some paper towels to clean it up and I was more than happy to let her

of course, coffee all over a tile floor is more likely to cause someone to slip and get hurt, so I can understand why they don't want a customer to try to clean it up. I have never really seen a customer allowed to clean a major spill.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Here ya go:

If a customer drops popcorn or a drink and is apologetic about it, I'll usually say, "Don't worry, I'll clean it up."

If they aren't, I'll just curse under my breath and mutter. Although there was one occasion where kids have dropped popcorn and on seeing my thunderous look, asked meekly if they could borrow a brush to clean it up.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
            he says 'at least you're helping clean it up. A lot of people just tell me they spilled something and leave.'

I don't even get that much. I'll glance over and see a HUGE coffee spill with creamer, sugar and straw wrappers, and occasionally even a coffee cup or two strewn around it.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
            X