Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our bedtime stories included Spanish profanity and random Yiddish words....until my mom started throwing shoes at dad.

I still don't know what "furshlugginer" means.....

And heaven forbid if you ever asked my dad a "why" question!
    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
      I think it means the equivalent of 'f*cking moron', but I could be wrong.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
        "crazy mixed up, wacky and worthless, silly/goofy", according to Bubby's Yiddish Glossary: http://www.bubbygram.com/yiddishglossary.htm
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          That's a good idea. I've had to explain that to my son a few times. "This is all make-believe, there are no Daleks or Cybermen, these are computer-generated special effects and actors telling a story."
          You mean a TARDIS bag is impossible?
          *vague 'fzt' sounds from bag*
          Oh hell, I think I just found a Schroedinbu--
          *FWOMP*
          (imagine the scene with Kirk and the tribbles, but instead of tribbles it's random junk)
          Quoth Jpurple View Post
          My daughter loves Doctor Who! She likes to pretend to be a Dalek with the laundry basket on her head. She says 'Extirbidate, extirbidate' which makes the hubby and I die laughing.
          That is too adorable
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-15-2007, 10:32 PM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Sigh.....If I ever have a kid, it will probably rebel and become a preppy cheerleader or something.....

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
              Sigh.....If I ever have a kid, it will probably rebel and become a preppy cheerleader or something.....

awwwwww dont say that your jinxing your self.

Comment

My parents actually turned me geek, accidentally. I noticed Magic the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons from my older cousin, who played. As a kid who had never been interested in buying things before, my parents saw it as something to bribe me with, so I'd do my homework, clean my room, etc. They gave me my first D&D boxset, and helped me play it, and took me to buy my first Magic pack.

I remember well my first comic. Was some birthday, and there's a huge box on the table. I open, and it's full to the brim with... very thin books. Comics, mom tells me. She'd gotten the whole box for $10 at a yard sale, and thought I might like them. I get to reading that night, and discover X-men 2nd series issue #1.

I've been a Gambit fan ever since.

Side note, those comics, like many of my toys over the years, disappeared one day, never to be seen again. Probably got donated to Goodwill. Since then I have put together what is probably the largest Gambit-centric collection in Georgia. Now if only I could find Uncanny 350 and 266...

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                  Sadly, that's my five-year-old daughter. My eight-year-old son has been accepting his indoctrination... er... exposure to the cultures of classic rock, fantasy literature and all-around good things quite well. Unfortunately, his sister loves all things pink, thinks Polly Pocket and Barbie rule the world, and wants to ride a unicorn to work when she grows up *sigh*
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    Sadly, that's my five-year-old daughter. My eight-year-old son has been accepting his indoctrination... er... exposure to the cultures of classic rock, fantasy literature and all-around good things quite well. Unfortunately, his sister loves all things pink, thinks Polly Pocket and Barbie rule the world, and wants to ride a unicorn to work when she grows up *sigh*
                    wait... who said pink and unicorns are bad?
                    *blushes guiltily at her pink wardrobe and her unicorn and teddy bear collection...*
                    I can be geeky and girly!!

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      Oh, don't worry too much. I liked pink for a while (until I discovered the beauty of blue) and still have unicorn-related things, as well as a box of Barbies to give to my daughter when she's old enough to not swallow the shoes or something. And I turned out perfectly geeky. Of course, it probably helped that I played with G.I. Joes*, too, and climbed trees and the like. But anyway, there are perfectly geeky things that cross over into girly, I think.

* My uncle who gave me the G.I. Joes probably would have been mortified to hear that I used them as Barbie's sons (since they didn't really make boy Barbies beyond Ken back then).
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

little updatey thing-
                        I just bought 42 comics, mostly batman, and peach girl number 2....
                        I love it when i find peach girls.

Comment

You're just lucky only the lady hurrassed you. Every time I go into my local comic shop the guys all stare at me, and the chasier asks if I'm buying the stuff for my Boyfriend. >_< In this day and age a girl can't like classic Marvel comics? Are superheros sill only for boys?! Argh.
                          "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

I thought of this thread today when I stopped in a local shop I'd never been in before, just to see what they had. The person behind the counter was female, cute, and knew exactly why I was so freaking excited about them having the original Final Fantasy with box and manual, nearly mint.

That beauty is MINE if they still have it when I get the cash for it.

Er... anyway, yeah... I've got no problem assuming a woman is capable of being just as geeky as a guy.
                            Last edited by JustADude; 06-23-2007, 04:31 AM.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Hubby & I have comic subscriptions at 2 different stores in the area. We get a discount already at Store #1 because we have a box and lots of subscriptions. At Store #2, we have a box there too and a few subscriptions. Store #2 keeps telling us to sign up for more comic names because we would get a 10% discount on our comics. Came in today and added more titles. "Yoda" checked on how many comics we have subscribed through them to see if we qualify for the 10% discount. (Remember we need 10 titles at the minimum). Yoda came back laughing and gave us our 10% discount. (I'm assuming we're over the 10 title limit).

Comment

Working...
                              X