This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clockwork is Probably Laughing About This One

So, I'm looking for a new watch. Nothing fancy, just a neat-looking watch for less than 50 bucks. So I'm looking over this purple watch, when a guy storms over to the poor clerk. He's shouting at her saying how all the watches are broken. This is not true. The watches just haven't been set yet. The clerk is trying to tell this clueless idiot, but he's not listening. He's insisting that the store is trying to scam him by selling him broken watches. The manager is called at this point and all of us mere observers just look on at the shouting match between the two. No one has any idea what was being said, but it was being said ferociously. Finally, the man just stormed off as did the manager into some other area of the store.

Later, I chose a pink watch that glows green in the dark. I'm buying it while this lady comes up and asks the clerk how to set her new watch. The clerk tells her but the lady thinks it's too complicated and technical and asks the clerk to do it. I just reach over, take the watch, set it myself, and handed it back to her while laughing inside. Unfortunately, she didn't get the hint and just thanked me and went on her merry way. The clerk and I made eye contact and burst out laughing. After I bought the watch, I went to look for a new thermos, but how do you not know how to set a watch?
    "But I don't want to be among mad people."
    You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

I learned how to set a watch about the same time I learned to read a watch- at the age of twelve. I figured it out myself. Hey, there's a little knob. Hey, when I turn it, the hands move. Hey, I can change the time with it! Eureka!
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

My mom works in a drugstore, and they sell watch batteries. Customers will buy one, and then ask her to change the battery for them. She has to say no, because the store is worried about liability if something were to happen to the watch. She's had a few people throw temper tantrums over this.

She tells them to go down the street to the full-service jewelry store. They charge only about a dollar more for their batteries, but they put them in for you on the spot.

But you know how SCs feel about spending an extra dollar. Especially if it denies them a chance to throw a tantrum.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I didnt learn to set my watch when i was 16, because thats was the first time i had a watch that wasn't digital (which is a different process than dial). But still its like the second easist thing next to putting on your socks on shoes (not tieing your shoes... i still have some problem with the tie aspect...)

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          My mom works in a drugstore, and they sell watch batteries. Customers will buy one, and then ask her to change the battery for them. She has to say no, because the store is worried about liability if something were to happen to the watch. She's had a few people throw temper tantrums over this.
          I had that same problem when I worked at the Drug Store From Hell. People are so unreasonable. And lazy. It's hardly a Herculean labor to change a watch battery.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            I had that same problem when I worked at the Drug Store From Hell. People are so unreasonable. And lazy. It's hardly a Herculean labor to change a watch battery.
            I don't know about that...my old watch just refused to release it's backing to anyone who didn't have the magic touch...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm a watch geek, automatics only, no quartz. Let me tell you, some complications can make a watch difficult to set. A perpetual calandar with day and moonphase would be a bitch.
              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Actually, mine was bloody easy to set, as it calculates the moonphase on its own, and once I looked up in the little manual how to change the timezones appropriately, I was golden! Month, day, year, moonphase, sunrise, sunset, AND it tells the time too!

As for people not wanting to set their watches themselves, shame on all of you here. Don't you know that if you don't do it properly, you risk catapulting yourself through time and becoming lost in a dystopian future?!
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Oh, easy is it?

On an analogue watch, yes - but on some of the digitals I've used, oh no.

Digital number one had a process that was something like this:
                  1: Repeatedly press Mode button to cycle through Alarm and Stopwatch mode, stopping at Adjust mode (indicated by flashing numerals).
                  2: Select desired numeral group (hours, minutes, date, etc) using the Light Button.
                  3: Adjust the numerals using the Adjust button.
                  4: Press Mode button to return to time mode.

Digital number two has this proceedure:
                  1: Hold down Adjust button untill watch enters adjust mode.
                  2: Select desired numeral group (hours, minutes, date, etc) using the Mode Button
                  3: Adjust the numerals using the 24hr button (use the Light button to reset seconds to 00).
                  4: Hold Adjust button to return to time mode.
                  I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

... Why not one of these watches? No need to set them!

http://www.radiocontrolledclock.com/gifts.html

-Wembley
                    Originally Posted by edible_hat
                    (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Wootness! Teh Awesome is that!

Sorry, I'm lacking sleepitude right now. I'm just coherent enough to realize what I'm doing, but not enough to stop it.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                        Hey, I can change the time with it! Eureka!
                        Did a vortex appear when you set the hands and carry you into the past/future?
                        "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                        X