Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racist two faced delivery guy and a question.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one on this board is without prejudice of at least one 'group' of people. Let s/he without sin, cast the first stone. Too many times I hear people say they are sick of the racism against such-and-such group of minorities, then they turn around and start mocking 'rednecks' and ripping their 'group' of people feeling superior, and think it is ok because 'rednecks' aren't a 'government protected minority group' like blacks and/or homosexuals are. How is that not hypocritical? Those people are no better than the guy who thinks 'gooks are ruining the country'.

I do not condone what the delivery guy said/says, and do not agree of course, but it isn't illegal for him to say such things or think them. It is not wise of course, but not illegal. He has the right to feel the way he wants to feel about anyone. If he chooses to express it verbally, that is his choice and he should accept the consequences, although no one has any right to attack him physically first just because he said something they don't like. Names and words are just that. Words. As long as he doesn't physically carry out his prejudices against the people he doesn't like, there is nothing anyone can do. You might not like it, but unfortunately life isn't that fair. Please don't become one of those people who are 'professionally offended' by the tiniest thing. While it isn't pleasant hearing it, just chalk it up to the guy having his own feelings about things, and they are different than yours. Just accept it and move on with your day, since you only deal with him professionally, not socially. Trying to control someones thoughts and feelings because you think they are wrong (whether they are or not) is just another step towards a BigBrother thought-crime society like in the book "1984". Not everyone thinks the same way as anyone else.

As long as he doesn't openly discriminate against the customers themselves or say anything to their face, he isn't doing anything that would even warrant his job being lost. If he did, the company would be discriminating against someone who has different opinions and thoughts than the majority.

One day down the road, it will likely bite him in the butt, but that is his issue, not yours.

My grandfather is probably most like the delivery guy. He uses racial slurs all the time and has similar feelings. And in the presence of people of a race he doesn't like, he is courteous and polite-the way that he was taught to behave as a child. I have asked him to not use the slurs in front of my boys because I don't want them to repeat them, and he has obliged without hesitation. I am not going to stop associating with my grandfather just because he is how he has been for the past 65 years.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
      No one on this board is without prejudice of at least one 'group' of people. Let s/he without sin, cast the first stone.
      *THUD*

Honestly, FuzzyKitten, that's as bad a generalization as anything you're accusing us of. There are groups I dislike, sure, but they're groups as in organizations, and it's always based off the group's track record.

I judge people solely based on their own individual merits. A big merit on the list is 'respect for your fellow man' so bigots do tend to fail pretty universally, but I don't consider them a group that one can be unfairly prejudice against any more than thieves, arsonists, or people who cut in line on Christmas Eve.
      Last edited by JustADude; 06-20-2007, 03:09 AM.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Well said. I try *not* to fall into the trap of letting a stereotype color my judgement. I try to let their character do that. However, once the person (or group) does something to justify the stereotype's existence, I get a bit tired of listening to them whine that they're "not all like that." In other words, if you don't like how your group is being presented, then do something to change it.

For example, I'm sure my neighbors were uneasy when I moved in. I'm sure most people thought, "he's a single guy, he's probably going to either party all the time, or let the house go to shit." Not that I'd do that anyway...but I'm always out in the yard trying to make the place look better. Most nights, at least during the summer, I've been outside pulling weeds and cleaning up until it gets dark out.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
          *THUD*

Honestly, FuzzyKitten, that's as bad a generalization as anything you're accusing us of.
          Seconded, but I think the rest of FK's post was exactly right. Dude can hold whatever opinions he wants as long as he doesn't act on them. And I think it's odd that anyone would consider being kind and polite to those one dislikes to be a vice.

Comment

*THUD*

Honestly, FuzzyKitten, that's as bad a generalization as anything you're accusing us of. There are groups I dislike, sure, but they're groups as in organizations, and it's always based off the group's track record.

I judge people solely based on their own individual merits. A big merit on the list is 'respect for your fellow man' so bigots do tend to fail pretty universally, but I don't consider them a group that one can be unfairly prejudice against any more than thieves, arsonists, or people who cut in line on Christmas Eve.
            You may think it is a bad generalization, but you have prejudices about at least one group (not an organization) whether you admit it or not, or are even conscious of it. You would not be human if you didn't have them. Be honest with yourself. You have the right to have these prejudices as long as you don't act on them to the detriment of another person.

If you judge someone solely on their merits, then let me ask you this: Do you believe Affirmative Action is then counterproductive?

I don't mean to turn this thread into something other than the intention, but it is a question that I ask people that say that very same thing to me.
            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

You may think it is a bad generalization, but you have prejudices about at least one group (not an organization) whether you admit it or not, or are even conscious of it.
              When a slender man of modest appetite once expressed doubt as to the veracity of stories relating the voracious appetite of noted gourmand and bon vivant "Diamond Jim" Brady, Brady replied something to the effect of "Don't judge my capacity by your own limitations". I think that's useful advice in other areas of life as well.

You would not be human if you didn't have them.
              The quality of being "human" should be a standard to rise to, not an excuse for irrational attitudes and behavior.

Comment

Quoth kzc View Post
                When a slender man of modest appetite once expressed doubt as to the veracity of stories relating the voracious appetite of noted gourmand and bon vivant "Diamond Jim" Brady, Brady replied something to the effect of "Don't judge my capacity by your own limitations". I think that's useful advice in other areas of life as well.

The quality of being "human" should be a standard to rise to, not an excuse for irrational attitudes and behavior.
                I totally agree that people should rise above prejudices and not use being human as an excuse, but to flat out say you don't have them at all is lying to others and yourself. The prejudice could be as simple as thinking all Republicans are greedy and don't care about the environment or that all Democrats are tree-hugging hippies. Those are examples of a prejudices, the negative feelings about a certain group and thinking your way of thinking is superior or better, whether it really is or not. It doesn't have to include a race or religion.

Comment

You may think it is a bad generalization, but you have prejudices about at least one group (not an organization) whether you admit it or not, or are even conscious of it. You would not be human if you didn't have them. Be honest with yourself....
                  I am nothing if not honest with myself, FuzzyKitten. I have always lived my life around the idea of seeking truth, no matter how distasteful, instead of accepting a comfortable illusion. Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, though, let me define my idea of what a prejudice is. It is a preconceived notion that is used as the standard on which you judge a person's worth, is not founded on empirical observation, and persists even in the face of contrary evidence.

There are trends in behavior among various groups, yes, but I don't judge a person solely, or even primarily, based upon these trends. I also don't base my ideas of these trends on anything other than what I, personally, have observed, nor or do I fail to alter my perceptions when new evidence is presented.

If you judge someone solely on their merits, then let me ask you this: Do you believe Affirmative Action is then counterproductive?
                  Frankly, I think it's a flawed system that uses racism to counteract racism. The idea that a person can usurp one of greater ability because of some completely irrelevant factor is abhorrent to me, regardless of who is usurping whom. If a person is legitimately better qualified for a position than any other applicant he should get it, simple as that.
                  Last edited by JustADude; 06-20-2007, 06:06 PM.
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, let me define my idea of what a prejudice is. It is a preconceived notion that is used as the standard on which you judge a person's worth, is not founded on empirical observation, and persists even in the face of contrary evidence.
                    Ok, I see what you're saying. Then this is where our misunderstanding may be. Prejudice is not so much judging a person's worth, but your opinion and liking/dislike of them without knowing their full story, or that because they align themselves with a certain group, not just solely their race or religion. Judging a person's worth certainly also qualifies as prejudice, but that was not what I was thinking.
                    Below are dictionary.com's first two definitions of prejudice:
                    1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
                    2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

Frankly, I think it's a flawed system that uses racism to counteract racism. The idea that a person can usurp one of greater ability because of some completely irrelevant factor is abhorrent to me, regardless of who is usurping whom. If a person is legitimately better qualified for a position than any other applicant he should get it, simple as that.
                    And this is what I was looking for. You wouldn't believe how many people will say they are not racist at all, yet promote Affirmative Action as a good thing.

Comment

Below are dictionary.com's first two definitions of prejudice:
                      1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
                      2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

Yep, that's the crux of the conflict. I was using definition 1, you were using definition 2.

Going by the second meaning you would, indeed, be correct in saying that we would not be human if we didn't have prejudices, since that particular version includes opinions based on fact and observation. You have an excellent meal at a restaurant and the next time you go there you'll have the preconceived opinion that the food is going to be good.

You wouldn't believe how many people will say they are not racist at all, yet promote Affirmative Action as a good thing.
                      Oh I probably would, since the PR spin pimps Aff.Act. as counteracting racism against blacks.

Comment

Yep, that's the crux of the conflict. I was using definition 1, you were using definition 2.

Going by the second meaning you would, indeed, be correct in saying that we would not be human if we didn't have prejudices, since that particular version includes opinions based on fact and observation. You have an excellent meal at a restaurant and the next time you go there you'll have the preconceived opinion that the food is going to be good.

Oh I probably would, since the PR spin pimps Aff.Act. as counteracting racism against blacks.
                        all's cool then-we were both right.

Comment

People who hate like that, have nothing in their lives to support any "honor" or anything like it. The person is clearly threatened by his multiple nemisi and is looking to YOU for condonement. It is NEVER worthwhile to interact with such a person, on any level. They take. Note the period.

Comment

I understand. It's his cowardice that is the worst part. His two-facedness is the proof that he's a coward, and cowards are the people who we instinctively hate. It's in our genetic makeup.

Comment

Working...
                            X