This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You shouldn't have done that." - re: a discount

Tonight, stopped by the grocery store to pick up the wifes prescription, and check if ice cream was on sale. Going through the regular register since I didn't have my discount card, and they can look it up via my drivers liscense number I overheard this conversation....

C : Cashier
    SDG : Slighty Distrubing Guy

C : Do you have a discount card?
    SDG : Whaaa...
    C : Do you have a discount card?
    SDG : No
    (at this point there was some mumbling from him about how he doesn't usually shop there, etc)
    cashier proceeds to run his items through
    C : Your total is $x.xx and I went ahead and gave you the discount.
    (the cashiers can use a generic discount number if they feel like it)
    SDG : You shouldn't have done that
    C : Excuse me
    (more mumbling from SDG as he tries to come up with a reason why he shouldn't have the discount)
    SDG proceeds to pay, but now my attention was diverted, because while C and SDG were talking about how he doesn't live nearby, so he doesn't shop there often, etc... there was a child, about 2 or 3 in the next lane that was reaching over the barrier towards C's till that was open becuase she was getting SDGs change. meanwhile the childs mother was trying to pay for her groceries and keep said child from stealing money from the till.

This story as I'm writing didn't turn out as interesting as it was actually seeing it, with the action and conversation coming from multiple directions at once. I just found it most interesting that a customer would not like getting the discount price.

Huh. Maybe it was intended as a polite, "Aww, you shouldn't have done that," sort of protest. The kind that's often substituted for a "Thank you."

::slaps kid's hand:: Bad kid! That's stealing!
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Maybe discount guy has some paranoia about the discount card aspect of it. Maybe he's worried that your store is tracking his purchases or something?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Heh. The few and far between times when I shop somewhere else, I'm always happy if they use the store discount card. That rocks. Saved money rules!!!!

I'd have liked to see the child helping him(her?)self from the till. I might find it mildly amusing.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
          Huh. Maybe it was intended as a polite, "Aww, you shouldn't have done that," sort of protest. The kind that's often substituted for a "Thank you."
          From his tone of voice, it wasn't a thank you, it was more "polite anger" response that she went ahead and gave it to him without making sure it was okay first.

Quoth Boozy View Post
          Maybe he's worried that your store is tracking his purchases or something?
          They are currently, at least the amount you spend. They are running a gas discount promotion with one national gas company. Every $50 you spend, gets you 10 cents off per gallon.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          I'd have liked to see the child helping him(her?)self from the till. I might find it mildly amusing.
          It was funny because at first his hands kept going towards the pennies, then I think he spotted the bills because that's what he was trying for when the mother finally got him to turn around and stop reaching.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            Maybe discount guy has some paranoia about the discount card aspect of it. Maybe he's worried that your store is tracking his purchases or something?
            Albertson's has stopped using theirs. They're offering $2 off your purchase if you bring in your old card. Don't know why, but I think it's something to do with the fact that it looks like their trying to re-brand themselves. Or they could have been more trouble than they were worth.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
            X