Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I am so very glad that cell phones were barely around when I house managed - pagers were bad enough. But, the few phones that did ring you can bet that the usher was beelining it to the person and if they were talking - out they went -as in outside. Depending on their attitude, for the rest of the show. You can bet your bippie that the next time they came to a show their phone was off.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
      I automatically thought of the cleavage area.
      Yeah, but you're female.

Coffee shop calls-- or other "social" gathering places-- I don't mind. Theaters, on the other hand... especially live theater...

Comment

In highschool, I was the assistant director for our musical, Godspell. Some asshole had their cell phone on during the show, and it played the Mexican Hat Dance.

It went off not once, but twice during our production. And the second time was during one of the most emotional, silent scenes. If I could have found that guy, that phone would have been lodged someplace very uncomfortable....

I still see red whenever I hear that farking song.......

I hate cell phones.

By the way...I didn't think SliceandDice meant cleavage either...

And for that scene in NYC...I'd pay the ridiculous NYC prices to see that!
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

woohoo i cause conterversy!!!!!!!!!!!
          is it sad i still cant think of what you where thinking?

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post
            My theatre has included in our pre-show announcement for musicals that if a phone rings and the pit recognizes the ring-tone they will play along with it.
            I'd pay to see just that.
            Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Coffee shop calls-- or other "social" gathering places-- I don't mind.
            I don't really mind coffeeshop calls either. It's when you get a couple businessmen trying to hold a damn conference call, and shouting to be heard over the espresso machines...oy. I haven't seen one of them yell at a counterperson for "being too loud", but I've been promised a show if I'm present when it does happen.
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Mine's "Scotland the Brave". Yes, bagpipes. That would be freakin' hilarious! Where's the theatre?
              http://www.cpct.biz
              Shall I tell the synth player on our next musical to get their bagpipe sound ready?

Quoth DesignFox View Post
              If I could have found that guy, that phone would have been lodged someplace very uncomfortable....
              The back seat of a Volkswagen?

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              I'd pay to see just that.
              That can be arranged. We'd like your money.
              "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
              "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
              My MySpace
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Mine's "Scotland the Brave". Yes, bagpipes.
                On my old phone, it was Scotland the Brave. Nobody used it, I'm part Scottish, perfect. Except that one day at work, a contractor was walking through and his phone rang, playing Scotland the Brave.

The latest two ringtones have been Atomic Dog and When I Come Around.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I have been doing theater most of my life and I have two favorite "cell phone during a show" stories.

One is when I went to see Hamlet at The Shakespeare Tavern in Georgia. It's a dinner and then show place, very intimate setting. So in the middle of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech, a cell phone goes off. Loudly. Hamlet stops. The person answers it and starts speaking in hushed tones. Hamlet sits. The person looks up. Hamlet goes "Oh no, continue. We can wait." The man on the cell phone got off REAL quick and the phone didn't go off again.

The other one, I was actually a part of. We did The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged and didn't actually make the "turn off your cell phone" announcement because the nature of that show lends itself to audience interaction. So when cell phones would go off (sometimes we even planted them or called friends we knew were in the audience from back stage), the actors would stop, adlib whatever and take the phone, placing it all the way upstage and telling the audience member they would get the phone back after the show. Usually we turned them off.

Well, one night one of my cast members forgot to turn one of them off. And it starts ringing from up on stage in the middle of one of the few decently long speeches (one of Ophelia's, during the Hamlet portion, I think the "speech" was about a minute or two, long enough for this). The actor playing Ophelia, while delivering his lines, goes to the phone, picks it up, opens it (thus answering it), brings it back to his "mark", finishes screaming the line and then slams the phone shut, turns it to vibrate and throws it back up the stage without ever missing a beat. I was FIGHTING to not laugh and the entire audience did laugh for about five minutes -- and that's not exagerating. It was lots of fun. (c:
                  "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Working...
                  X