X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comics: The Anti-Suck

Just a quickie here.

I was in Boarders, picking up the 2nd omnibus volume of Robert Asprin's MYTH-Adventures books, when I overheard a rather blue-collar gentleman pointing out comics, manga, and other graphic novels to his kids. He was actively encouraging them to use their allowance to buy such things instead of "dollar store crap". I might have been worried about them getting their little hands on something inappropriate except this was a tiny mall-store Boarders, which didn't have any of the more 'adult' graphic-literature selections.

It brings a spark of hope to my heart to see a parent who's trying to get their children interested in reading, even if it's just X-Men and Spider-Man comics. No offense to comics in general, I'm just suffering from Old School syndrome.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

comics are awesome, and they are great for teaching kids to read

Comment

My parents got me hooked on comics. Bought me a huge box for my tenth birthday. I usually only read X-men; I'm a Gambit-aholic. Please don't hate me for it.

I got slack for comics once that I remember. I was shopping at a Waldenbooks, twirling the spinny stack looking for the latest Uncanny, and some pint sized Barbie looks over at me and sneers. "Why would you look at that crap?" she says. "Comics are stupid."

I look back at her, glance down at her armload of Inu Yasha manga, and walk away laughing.

Comment

Comics are awsome. I don't read anymore, but I did through high school and college. I too love Gambit, but I am more of a DC girl. I endorse anything that gets kids to read and when I was subbing, I loved encouraging the girls to read scifi and comics. And startling the boys with my wide knowlege of comic books and Star Wars.
        I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

I have Spider-Man fever myself.
          I also like Batman, but Christ, are the comics getting darker and darker. I prefer old-school, Batarang-twirlin', non-creepy-Joker Batman.

Skandranon: Oh man, that's just priceless.
          InuYasha is the worst run-on story I've ever heard of.
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
            I was in Boarders, picking up the 2nd omnibus volume of Robert Asprin's MYTH-Adventures books
            Oh sweet, they have omnibuses (omnibi? omnibitorious?) of that series now? Those are so great, I'll have to pick them up!

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              comics are awesome, and they are great for teaching kids to read
              Quoth Skandranon
              My parents got me hooked on comics.
              Hooked on Comics worked for me!!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My coworkers are still amused by me. I'm the only person, let alone the only girl, in the call center who openly reads comics and manga. I bring it in to work with me all the time--great for reading in between calls.

I was almost sad my digital camera died before my birthday so I needed a new one, otherwise I would have been requesting the giant Gaiman Sandman collection, the third volume of Runaways, and some $$$ for my fave comic shop, Hero Headquarters, so I could catch up on Fables and all my Brian K Vaughan books.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I have an old box of comics given to me by a neighbor containing: The first 10 issues of the Wolverine series, a crapload of Spider-Man comics, a few old X-men comics, a few Tick comics, and most of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. I still read them from time to time.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I wasn't orginally into comics, but my friends were talking about them SOOOO much and I had no idea what they were saying, I got a couple and now I'm hooked. I'm into the more old school teen titans and nightwing more than anything. Sometimes, I'll get ultimate spider-man or wolverine ones, but usually it's just the DC stuff.
                    OY, Inu-yasha is so annoying. They keep playing the reruns on adult swim and I am sick of them!!! Grrrr!!!!!
                    Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                      My coworkers are still amused by me. I'm the only person, let alone the only girl, in the call center who openly reads comics and manga. I bring it in to work with me all the time--great for reading in between calls.

I was almost sad my digital camera died before my birthday so I needed a new one, otherwise I would have been requesting the giant Gaiman Sandman collection, the third volume of Runaways, and some $$$ for my fave comic shop, Hero Headquarters, so I could catch up on Fables and all my Brian K Vaughan books.
                      ohhhhhhhh josh whedon comic (well he writes it now) fun

Comment

OT
                        I haven't read the Whedon yet, I've heard to be prepared, as he kind of picked it up not quite where it left off, particularly in characters...but oh well, I love JW no matter what.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Comics USED to be awesome...

Until DC and Marvel decided stories about heroic people doing heroic things wouldn't sell and started writing stories about rape, people being jerks, and reviving Alan Moore's 'bad mood'.

Comment

Quoth Knifeman View Post
                            started writing stories about rape
                            DO WHAT?
                            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Yes, DC and Marvel are all big about stories involving rape of somesort.

Comment

Working...
                              X