This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your car's spoiler is not a passenger seat

So I was heading out to my car after work today when I hear a girl screaming "SLOW DOWN DAMMIT!"

I turned to look and saw a red fart can passing by--with a girl sitting on the trunk lid facing backwards and gripping the car's spoiler as hard as she could

Apparently the driver thought it would be fun to drive around with her sitting on the back like that. I thought "If he throws that car into reverse, she's dead." I'd estimate the car was doing about 25 or 30 mph around the parking lot.

Some people should not have drivers licenses.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

May natural selection take it's place with those two.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

And the Darwin Award goes to...
      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Some people should not have drivers licenses.
        What about the girl who agreed to it?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh no no no no no no no no no no.

This was not one of my brightest moments I'll admit, and the only excuse I have is that I was 15 and stupid. I was standing on the bumper of my friends station wagon, gripping the luggage rack as she putzed around an empty parking lot one night. We'd all taken turns, and considering the activity, we were be as cautious as possible. She was probably going 25 or 30 (which doesn't feel fast when you are INSIDE the car) when I lost my grip. Oh you guys I remember it in slow motion. I was in the air and then I hit, bounced and slid across the pavement. On my face. When my friends realized that I wasn't on the car anymore, but rather face down on the asphalt, they freaked out. Then they rolled me over and saw what I looked like they freaked out more. Covered in blood and grime was I. I had facial lacerations from GLASS and missing and broken teeth. I had landed with one arm under me so it slid across the pavement too. The scars on my arms and hand are still visible, though they have gotten better in the 10 years since the "accident". I had ripped and torn most my clothing, and my knees and legs had the appearance of gravely hamburger. At least I was wearing jeans. I can't imagine the damage had I been wearing shorts. For days I was so sore that I couldn't move, and by the time that wore off, all the abrasions had scabbed over making movement difficult once again. I wasn't able to get to the dentist for 2 days or so, so I just dealt with the jagged pieces of tooth jutting out of my mouth. (I earned the name Bucky for this, and to this day it still sticks. By everyone.) Other teeth were knocked loose, so the combination of the two made eating not worth the effort. I've got fake teeth in the front, and have had to endure root canals years later due to the damage I did to the surrounding nerves. My nose bends one way but not the other, and I wear chunky cuff bracelets to camouflage my weird, hairless, resistant to tanning scars. I'm lucky that my face (aside from some diagonal marks on my nose) resisted scarring.

All this from going 25-30 mph. Any faster and I could have easily died. That girl (and the driver) is stupid. She has no idea how badly she can be hurt, even at that "slow" of a speed.

Could you have reported them???
          Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, hanging on a car is fine at somthing like 5-10MPH, faster if it has somthing like a roofrack with railings around the side, but on a bumper at 25-30?

Wow :O
            Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
            Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

True story....

Way back, at least 10 years ago, I had a Toyota MR2 (not mine, but just like it). One nice summer evening, at the local Field Days (a small scale town fair with rides, games, and beer) it was late and the cops were clearing out the beer tent since it was closing for the evening. I had agreed to give one friend a ride home, since he was way to gone to drive. I just remembered, he was an assistant manager where I worked. Anyways, as I'm about to leave the parking lot, another friend comes up and wants a ride to his house, basically around the corner, maybe 1/2 mile at the most from where we were. Since the car is only two seats, he said he'd ride on the back. Since I thought all the town cops were clearing the crowd out, I agreed. So he sat on the engine lid (engine is in the back), back against the read window, and feet on the spoiler. Leave the parking lot, hit the street, go around the corner, and down at the other end of the street I see a cop car coming my direction. Pull into his driveway, and the cop pulls up across the driveway so I can't leave. "Tom", not his real name, jumps off, I get out, and proceed to spend the next 2 minutes, though it felt like 10, saying "yes sir"/"no sir" when appropiate. Finaly he ends with "do you understand?!" I answer "yes sir" and he replies "good! Make sure it never happens again!" He then gets in his car and takes off. And I have never done that again.

Comment

I've ridden lashed to the roof rack of a Buick once, but it wasn't too dangerous, I was pretty thoroughly tied down.
                Last edited by Sofar; 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM.
                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Actually, a little known fact is that the likelihood of dying from falling out of (or off of) a moving car increases geometrically with every additional 1 MPH increment. It's been a while since I looked at the report but it was something like a 30% chance of dying if you fell out or off of a car moving at 10 MPH. Our bodies simply weren't built to handle "high speed" impacts like that. Our bodies can't move themselves much faster than 3-4 MPH (on the average), so that's what we evolved to handle.

I flew off a bike doing 25 MPH, and was in the hospital for four weeks in traction (shattered right arm), three surgeries, 6 months in a cast, two more in physical therapy.....and that was just 25 MPH.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a life.

Comment

Quoth tendomentis View Post
                    geometrically
                    Do you mean "exponentially"?
                    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                    The Office

Comment

I've ridden on the running boards of trucks and such around the country (as well as the beds of pickups but thats perfectly safe) as well as on the hood of a moving car.

I've even exited a movign vehcile at 30 or so MPH. I was riding on the outside running board of a friend's truck as it was only a couple hundred yards to home and when we got near there I just kinda stepped off. I landed in a ditch not pavement so thats probably one reason I didnt even get a scratch on me and walked away from it. Also knowing how to tuck and roll is a good idea.

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                        No. I was referring to geometric progression. You got the jist though.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                          I've ridden lashed to the roof rack of a Buick once, but it wasn't too dangerous, I was pretty thoroughly tied down.
                          Yeah, but that's 1) a Buick. You could have a freakin' formal dinner on top of one of those in motion if you bolted the chairs down, and 2) you were tied down, which is... really... the entire thing we were ridiculing them for in the original post for not doing.

Quoth Shabo View Post
                          Geometric progression is like exponential, but worse.
                          Last edited by JustADude; 07-06-2007, 07:27 PM.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

In high school cross-country I was witness to a very very stupid thing. One day we were warming up, a teammate named K saw his buddy driving a car. K jumps on top of buddy's car, buddy hits the gas only slightly and K flies off the top of the car doing a flip and landing on the pavement. We could hear the smack he made when he landed on his back. He got up and continued running but good lord we were pissed at him. And this was not even the stupidest thing he did. (To say he is a dumb-ass is being generous.)
                            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Well, let's see... old enough to know better, no innocent bystanders hurt, definitely a unique way to go...

I'd vote for it!

<- Darwinawards.com storymod

Comment

Working...
                              X